X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bill Blank
    • Sep 2002

Volume level

What have you lot found to be your normal listening level on the volume scale for music/ht? I've been listening to most of my music between 40-45 which is about half-way up the scale. Is this abnormal?

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
    Rotel RMB-1075
    Rega Planet 2000
    Denon DVD-2900
    Mitsubishi WS-55411
    Paradigm Reference Studio 100 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio CC-470 v3
    Paradigm Reference Studio 20 v3
    Velodyne CT-120
  • Greg_W
    • Sep 2002

That sounds like a normal level. I listen at about 38-43 on average, which is comfortable but not espescially loud. Movies ussually around 50 -55.

Greg
    Greg

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
      • Sep 2002

With my RSX-1065: movies at normal level are ussualy around volume setting 40. When I really go for it and want it to be really spectacular, than the volume is around 50.

Comment

• RogueAngel
        • Jun 2002

Goodness, for me on my 1055, 40 is the setting we use for our pet when we're out! Normal listening is about 58 for TV, 62 for movies, and as high as 72 for some music (when the neighbor isn't home). ops: I think for movies the 62 setting results in normal levels at about 85 to 90 db at the listening position. And that means the couch shakes on bass peaks.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

60-70 for music and slightly higher for movies...though it depends on where you calibrate reference level at.

Comment

• Bill Blank
            • Sep 2002

Andrew,

I've not calibrated any levels yet as my theater room's not done. What dB level did you calibrate yours to? It would seem like that's the 85dB level recommended by Dolby. Also, what did you use to calibrate, a CD, DVD, or the unit's test tones?

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
            Rotel RMB-1075
            Rega Planet 2000
            Denon DVD-2900
            Mitsubishi WS-55411
            Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I use the Avia DVD to calibrate and so I set my Rotel to read 85 on the display then dial in each channel until it reads 85 dB on my trusty SPL meter. The only quirk is that Avia is only a 5.1 channel disc so to set up my rear channels I take a reading from the sides and mains internal test tones to get a ref level then adust the rear centre to match these...that's the easy work around...I've also taken one of the rear side pre outs and temporily moved it to the rear centre to ballence it that way but it was more work and it ended up being very close to the method I now use.

Comment

• Bill Blank
                • Sep 2002

So when your display reads 85 you know it's 85dB. But are we sure that Rotel's volume steps are in 1dB increments?

Bill

Rotel RSP-1066
                Rotel RMB-1075
                Rega Planet 2000
                Denon DVD-2900
                Mitsubishi WS-55411
                Velodyne CT-120

Comment

• Energeezer
                  • Sep 2002

Andrew
                  May I suggest you cal your rear centers using THX Optimode from one of the disks encoded with it. T2 ultimate edition as well as Star Wars Ep 1 come to mind.

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Bill no we're not sure but at least I know that when the display reads 85 I'm at ref level...

With regard to optimode I'd heard that those values were per DVD so is there a chance that different Optimodes will give you a different level or are they all standard?

Comment

• MuShu007
                      • Jun 2002

Good question,ever since I got my 1066/1095 I seem to be listening now at or close to reference level.Following the manual I ended up with 65 as my reference level (75db) on my spl meter.On my other previous receivers (all Marantz) I would be deaf if I listened at reference level.Funny thing is even at reference level the rotel combo still sounds smooth and not ear-piercing than my old SR-18. 8)

MIKE

Comment

• Energeezer
                        • Sep 2002

Andrew
                        I am not sure about the per DVD optimode thing but an easy test would be to get 2 of the disks and do a comparisson. Unfortunately I only own 1.
                        That begs another question. Does this mean that Avia is also only accurate for the Avia disk?
                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"