Is Dolby PLII Music supposed to sound awful?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nicholas Renter
    • Jun 2002

Is Dolby PLII Music supposed to sound awful?

I dropped in a CD and immediately noticed that something didn't sound right (and that "awfulness" was coming from the rear speakers). Somehow, my RSP-1066 was in "Dolby PLII Music" mode.

I decided to do some investigation. I cut the output of the front left and right speakers as much as possible, and allowed Eminem's "The Eminem Show" play on. What I heard out of the rear channels is either a complete embarrasment for the Dolby PLII Music algorithm or Rotel's implementation of the algorithm.

Has anyone else listened to what comes out of the rear channels of the Dolby PLII Music setting? Am I going crazy, or does it sound genuinely distorted?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

You sure that wasn't the source material :LOL:

Seriously a lot of people claim that DTS:NEO sounds better then PLII...I haven't spent much time either since 95%+ of my time is spent in 2 channel

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
      • Jun 2002

I knew I was going to get that, Andrew. :LOL:

I just had never listened to it before, and today when I did, I was horrified. It was awful. I was like a fly intermittably buzzing around in the background. I was curious as to if the problem was with the algorithm or Rotel's software.

Comment

• Krzysztof W
        • Sep 2002

I also found DPL II (and DTS Neo 6 as well) at best average. I use mostly 2 chanel stereo and from time to time, when the quality of the disc is poor, Rotel DSP modes

Krzysztof

Comment

• SergeH
          • Sep 2002

I really prefere the music1 DSP to DPLII music.

Comment

• dali
            • Jul 2002

A tip: if you want to use all speakers, try 5 (or 7) channel stereo ... sounds a lot better than any DSP-mode!

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"