X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Firmware news...

Recently people have been reporting that their machines have a firmware starting with 2.** while the offical latest firmware from Rotel is 1.46 so I decided to see what I could find out about the situation. As it turns out what's happened is that the 1066 and 1055 machines have been slightly modified from a hardware perspective which has forced Rotel to have two different incompatible firmwares, one for the 'older' models and one for these new models. Now I know you're all wondering why they changed the hardware and I was assured it wasn't to fix a problem with the old model it was simply a corporate descission so it could be something as simple as availability or price of a part due to the huge demand for these products.

As a result of the new changes they are shipping with version 2.** for firmware. These models can not run the firmware that starts with 1.** so please don't flash your firmware with any new updates if your machine is running this new hardware. For those of use with the older machines we'll continue to get updates to address issues that pop up.

Rotel is currently working on a new peice of software that will replace Hyperterminal for flashing the firmware. This new software is supposed to autodetect which version you are running and update as required so hopefully in the future this won't be an issue for but now please don't try to update one of the newer machines.

I'm still learning details and will update this thread as I learn more. Until then happy listening 8)

• Arnold van Oostrum
    • Sep 2002

What will happen if someone with great enthousiasm has flashed his v2.** machine with the v1.46. Is the machine dead or waht's not working anymore.
    In case of emergency, is there a binary file available for re-flashing?

Maybe, Rotel can give the serial# series at which the 'new' models start?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

All I was told is that if a person with 2.? flashed with 1.? the machine wouldn't run. I would imagine that all that would be needed to fix it would be to reflash with 2.? but you'd have to request that file from Rotel. These new models weren't expected to be in circulation so soon but due to the huge demands things have moved faster then anticipated.

Comment

• JohnSC
        • Jun 2002

Andrew,

I noticed you have the latest firmware on your website as V1.46 however, the download file is called sx1055upgrade.bin.

Is this ok for the 1066?

Given the differences in firmware for the 1055 and 1066 going forward, will you be posting both versions?

Thanks

John

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Sorry I should have mentioned that before. The latest update only affects the 1055 not the 1066 so there's no point flashing the 1066 with this latest code release...not that it will do any harm just the minor tweaks it offered were only for the 1055...not sure what they changed though.

I've being corresponding with Rotel on this a little more and they insist that the version 2 models do not offer any benefit over the version 1 models and both will be supported equally in future. If they didn't switch the hardware that they did it could have caused a delay in new units shipping so I sure all those with new units are happy they did what they had to....and again there's no benefit or losses either way between the two versions.

Comment

• wanderso
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
            Sorry I should have mentioned that before. The latest update only affects the 1055 not the 1066 so there's no point flashing the 1066 with this latest code release...not that it will do any harm just the minor tweaks it offered were only for the 1055...not sure what they changed though.

I've being corresponding with Rotel on this a little more and they insist that the version 2 models do not offer any benefit over the version 1 models and both will be supported equally in future. If they didn't switch the hardware that they did it could have caused a delay in new units shipping so I sure all those with new units are happy they did what they had to....and again there's no benefit or losses either way between the two versions.
            Andrew,

What are the h/w differences in the new/old 1066? Any idea if there will be a h/w upgrade or will early adopters be stuck with h/w that won't be 'supported' down the road? I got this 1066 in August and if there is a major change I will pretty pissed at Rotel.

Wilson

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

I don't know exactly what the hardware changes are but I'm assured that they are minor and that have no impact on the performance or features of either version. They've stated that they'll support both equally so from my perspective its not an issue. It would be like Ford changing the tires from Goodyears to Yokohamma etc on a new model becasue the Goodyears weren't available in the quantity they needed to keep up with demand. Although this could seem like a big deal it really isn't anything to worry about.

Comment

• wanderso
                • Sep 2002

Andrew,

It could be more like the Proceed people..."just minor changes. Don't worry, we will support you!"....and then there was one...

Seriously, if the firmware upgrades are different then there are some MAJOR changes, not minor ones.

Wilson

Comment

• RogueAngel
                  • Jun 2002

Andrew,

Do they refuse to tell you what the change was? Like don't worry about it.

I don't understand the secrecy. Are they afraid we will all demand to have our units replaced?

The same with these firmware upgrades, why can't we find out what the changes are. Most other companies will explain the problem and then offer the fix. NOT here's a fix and don't worry about what problem we're fixing.

I'm getting more frustrated as time goes by, despite enjoying the 1055.

Comment

• Danbry39
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Sep 2002

Now that's sensational. When I called Rotel, I was told that they could not give the exact version which was loaded onto my machine even with my serial number. I believe I was lied to. I bought their cable to upgrade the version and was told that they would send along a disc with the latest version. I received it and it's version 1.45, which, if I understand correctly, would result in my Rotel becoming unfuctional. I also wonder if the cable they're selling will even work in future upgrades. Now, that's great service. Rotel had better get their act together. I am now seriously wondering how good of a company they are if they treat their customers this way. I've also sent them three emails, with no response, as far as I can tell. I hope they review this thread so that they can read this message.

This was originally posted at Home Theater Forum, but Andrew suggested I repost it here. I should also mention that I left messages twice with Rotel, but received no call back. I would add that I love my Rotel 1066 and have no intention of returning it. Nonetheless, it seems that questions regarding firmware are ignored, especially when one attempts to find out what their units have in this regard, and that misinformation, that could potentially disable a unit, if my understanding is correct, is being dealt out. Honestly, I just want to be treated decently as a customer of Rotel. I want a response to my inquiries about the product I own and for them to address issues I might have with the unit in a timely, professional manner. That's how a company builds a loyal customer base. I'm the type person who is very loyal if treated in this manner. And I'm the type that likes to spread the good word about products I use and appreciate.

One final note, I don't want to sound too sugary, but we should all thank Andrew for the effort he puts out in our behalf. I wonder about users who don't frequent boards and are completely in the dark about all of this.

Keith
                    Keith

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

From what I gather it was a change in the CPU's which would make sense since the firmware's are affected but not the performance etc. Given the extreme complexity of these machines I doubt it would take much of a change for the firmwares to be different enough to cause problems if the wrong one was loaded.

I have been told point blank that...

1) the change has no effect on features offered now or in present
                      2) the change has no effect on sound quality
                      3) Rotel has every intention of offereing upgrades to both units for the life of the models

Although I too wish they'd tell us what the upgrades fix the fact is that other then 1.35 to fix the DD-EX problem which wasn't their fault all the other firmware updates have been to address such trival things as the color of the OSD, default settings and the like. The latest ones appear to have improved the sound quality a little so they've obviously tweaked something but its nothing major. I would have to assume that when they do fix one of the larger issues we have that they'll let us know what it is. Its in their best interest to let us know if something major were released since the publicity would be good for them.

With regard to Rotel not telling us how to check the firmware I believe that has to do with their findings with people and dealers returning units to get a "newer" model instead of simply flashing it. Also since there's little reason to flash the firmware if all they do is simply change the colour of the OSD is there a compelling reason to get users excited about flashing to the latest and greatest version?

Rotel is working on a new utility that will flash the units so we won't have to use HyperTerminal any longer. This utility is supposed to be able to detect which version you're running an update accordingly to the latest version so from a users perspective it isn't going to matter which chip you happen to have.

For now though if you do have one of the newer models you can't flash to 1.46 since its for the other chip.

When you asked for the latest version on CD that's exactly what they sent you since at the time 1.45 was the latest (and still is for 1066 owners) The cable they sent you will continue to be the proper cable and I don't see why they'd change in the future to some other cable.

I'm not sure whom you're sending emails to but I've not had any emails go unanswered. I do know Mike Sheenan was out of the office for a few days last week.

For what its worth here is Mike Sheehan's email address Msheehan@equityaudio.com He's the support person you need to contact.

Comment

• Danbry39
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Sep 2002

I might well have emailed the wrong party entirely. I chose "general inquiries" or something like that. Thanks for Mike's email and the update.
                        P.S. I still think you should work for Rotel.

Keith
                        Keith

Comment

• RogueAngel
                          • Jun 2002

Would it be possible that a change in CPU's might affect the double bass problem? Have any of you with the newer version CPU confirmed that the double bass issue is still there?

I offer a second or third that Andrew is providing more info and support than Rotel is.................Thanks Andrew!

I tried loading 1.46 tonight and it wouldn't load....had to re-load 1.45. Maybe the file got corrupted when I downloaded it. I'll try downloading again and re-try on Thursday.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Rouge which model are you running? if its a 1066 there's nothing to gain in the 1.46 update since its intended for the 1055 only.

From what I understand the change has no effect on the double bass issue or any other feature set of these units.

As for the Rotel support thanks but I am simply passing on info I get from Rotel so they are supporting us.

Also as much as we'd like this or that to happen I for one am happy that our models are upgradeable and that these updates are free. I don't know of any other AV gear that has free firmware updates so we're pretty damn lucky IMO.

Comment

• Danbry39
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Sep 2002

Rogue,
                              I'd like to help you out here as I have the "different" version, but I have my speakers set to small and don't do SACD or DVDA and my understanding is that that is where the problem lies, but I could be wrong. In any regard, I don't have a problem with the double-bass. From everything I've heard though, the issue still remains with all versions of the Rotel and its firmware. I'd bet they're working on it though. They seem to be aware of the problems and addressing them.

Keith
                              Keith

Comment

• RogueAngel
                                • Jun 2002

I do have a 1055 running on version 1.45. I am not sure what 1.46 fixes but I would like to keep the software current. Can someone e-mail me 1.46 as the file I downloaded from Andrew's website will not load. I get about 2/3's of the first line of dots and then the transfer stalls.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Rogue I emailed you the bin file...see if that works better.

Comment

• RogueAngel
                                    • Jun 2002

Thanks Andrew, I'll try again tonight.

Comment

• RogueAngel
                                      • Jun 2002

I just figured out the problem with 1.46. When I downloaded at home, the file did not register as a zip file, in fact, the computer was saying it was not a zip file. So.........I was actually trying to load the software in zipped form. I can see how that would confuse the 1055! So there should be no problem loading it tonight.

My thanks to all who e-mailed me the update. This forum is great!

Comment

• RogueAngel
                                        • Jun 2002

Success! !.46 is loaded, I suppose we'll get 1.47 tommorrow :roll: ...... I do appreciate that Rotel is trying to get all this sorted out and keep us vocal folks happy. :LOL:

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"