X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arnold van Oostrum
    • Sep 2002

1065 - big problem

I have a really big problem with my RSX-1065. It's not easy to explain. I'll give it a try.

For some time now I have a problem with 'pink noise' in the surroundspeakers. It's not really pink noise, but I don't know how to describe it. It sounds like having a bad distorted reception on a faint FM radio station.
    This noise is only audible with movies that are quiet in use of the surround. When the surround is used agressively, than the surroundsounds are so loud, the noise can't be heard. But with movies that are dialog oriented (like Pay It Forward), than the noise can heard. It's not loud, you have to sit close (0.5 m) to the speaker to hear.

At first I thought that something was wrong with my copy of the 1065. But recently I got a brandnew one. Unfortunately, the same problem. All different firmware upgrades didn't change a thing.

But now I think I know what's causing the problem. Like I said, it sounds like a faint distorted reception of a FM station. Well, it's not a FM station, but it's the signal of the centerspeaker that comes faint and distorted in the surroundspeakers and with a lot of 'pink noise' with it.

A friend of mine has a 1055, no problem with that one. The surrounds are really quiet. :cry:

Does anyone have similar experience with the 1065? Anyone knows what's causing this problem?
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Doe sit happen with DD and DTS or just one or the other...what about in pro logic II etc? You could try playing something then unlug all the speaker except the surrounds to get a better feel for what the noise is.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
      • Sep 2002

Andrew, the noise I hear is the signal from the centerspeaker, that comes also faintly and distorted through the surrounds, along with a kind of pink noise.
      It doesn't matter what source I choose, DVD, tuner, TV or VCR. Also the DSP doesn't matter. It is with DD, DTS, DPL-II, DTS Neo:6.
      I also did switch of the center and frontspeakers. That's when I discovered it is the centerspeaker signal I heared in the surround, because I could hear the talking continue.

I don't know if it's a hardware problem (leaking) or a firmware issue (decoding problem). But it is a big problem, especially considering the big money I spent on this thing. It should be (almost) perfect!

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
        • Sep 2002

With the kind help of Andrew (thanks) I got the latest firmware v2.2.0_020829 for the 1065.
        But unfortunately none of the issues I have with this machine were solved by this firmware. :cry:
        Ah well, it was worth a try. :roll:

Comment

• Energeezer
          • Sep 2002

Arnold
          May I make a couple of suggestions in an attempt to track down the source of the problem.
          1) Try a different cable
          2) Try a different power outlet and try a seperate power outlet for the DVD and Reciever
          3) See if you can invoke the problen using Neo 6 and your CD player there by eliminating the DVD player
          4) try a friends DVD player and try to put distance between the components.
          5) Remove any components other than the DVD player and Reciever from your system. (ie sateellite reciever, CD player etc) If the noise is gone it could be interference from other components.
          6) Try all the differnt digital I/Ps.
          7) try your unit in a differnt location (ie a friends house) Maybe there is something in your residence causing this.
          I know these suggestions are simplistic and forgive me if you have already tried. Sometimes with these components the stupidest, simplist thing turns out to be the problem. I have not seen any other similar complaints so who knows.
          Steve

The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD
          The Future of HT lies in FP SPREAD THE WORD

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
            • Sep 2002

I think the problem comes from a not properly working D/A conversion after the DSP processing.
            It's not related to internal amps (problem exist also on the pre-out); not related to source (DVD, CD, TV, VCR all the same); not related to DSP processing (DD, DTS, DPL-II and Neo all the same); and it's not related to bass management (whatever setting for bass or speaker, all the same).
            So the only place I can think of is where the digital signal, after the DSP processing is converted to analoge signal which goes to the amps. It's with this D/A something must go wrong.

Unfortunately Rotel so far didn't give any feedback on this particular problem.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
              • Sep 2002

An update: Rotel can't figure out what my problem is. It's certainly difficult to explain by mail. But they want to help me. Tomorrow (on friday) a sales representative is coming to my home. He will take time to listen to my problem and brings with him a new 1065 from the latest batch to compare.

To be continued...

Comment

• sdecker
                • Jun 2002

Wow, Rotel is sending a rep to your house. That is great customer service. Hope he can solve the problem. We're all waiting to hear.

Earle

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                  • Sep 2002

It's sure is good customer service, but then I life in a small country where distances are relative small.

But the man came today. It was a bit of a let down.
                  The positive thing is he has heard my problem. At first he tried everything (I already did), but couldn't figure out what's the cause. He then tried to wave the problem away (is that how you say it?), with all kind of excuses. Like it's a Dolby problem, or it's something I have to live with because this machine can't be perfect for that money. And why does the 1055 not have this problem, his answer because the 1055 is not that critical as the 1065. If I want it better, I'll better buy highend.
                  He brought with him NOT a RSX from the latest batch. That's not yet available here. His RSX was from the same batch as mine, so no difference.

Anyway, he now knows what my problem is. He's going to consult Rotel UK and he will compare with Classe SSP75 (of which they are also importer).

I hoped for more. But I'll just have to wait what news comes from Rotel UK.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                    • Sep 2002

Sorry to say, but until now I've heard nothing from Rotel anymore. Don't know if they admit this problem with the 1065 and don't know if they're looking for a cure.
                    I'm a little disappointed here and loosing my faith in Rotel.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                      • Sep 2002

That's funny, I posted this thread and today I got a call from Rotel regarding my problem.
                      According to Rotel the problem of the leaking centerchannel signal to the surrounds is NOT a Rotel problem but is caused by the used DSP-chip. The fault has nothing to do with a possible fault in the design of Rotel.
                      As the man said, not only the 1065 has this problem, but the 1055 and the 1066 also have this problem, according to Rotel. And not only Rotel, they've checked with Marantz and Harman Kardon, which evidently use the same DSP chip, they all have the same problem. Rotel can not cure it.

The strange thing is, I heard the 1055 and couldn't hear this problem with the 1065. Funny.

He left me with two options:
                      1) keep the 1065 and be happy with it (and accept it's problem);
                      2) return the 1065, get my money back and good luck in choosing another unit from another brand. But as he said, the 1065 is one of the best sounding av-receiver yet available, so the choice would be difficult.

I'll think about it for the coming days.

Maybe you guys (and girls ) have suggestions for me.

Comment

• Gary Stevens
                        • Jan 2001

Return the 1065 and take the money! Other high-end units (and the 1055/1066) have the same problem, but you can't hear it on other Rotel units? I would trust your own experience.

Once you have the money back, this enables you to try other products. If you find something better, great! If not, you can always go back later and buy another 1065.

-Gary

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                          • Sep 2002

As said, Rotel will take the 1065 back and after some thinking I took their offer.

This means goodbye Rotel, I will continue my hometheater experience with a beautifull sounding Marantz SR-9200.

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"