X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Arnold van Oostrum
    • Sep 2002

RSX-1065 Issues

Like the RSP-1066/RSX-1055 the RSX-1065 also has some point that need to be enhanced or fixed.

The RSX-1065 has some flaws in decoding the sound format.
    1) There seemes to be no difference in normal DD5.1 and DD5.1 EX sound. With both formats the RSX-1065 uses the CB speakers. I think that's wrong. With normal DD5.1 the CB speakers should not be used. Only with DD5.1 EX (when the audiostream is flaged as EX or when Rotel XS is active) the CB speaker should be used. It seemes as if Rotel XS is always active, regardless of the choosing EX/non-EX.

2) The RSX-1065 always goes in DPL-II mode, even if a DD2.0 signal has no surroundflag. I'd like the RSX-1065 to decode a DD2.0 without a surround flag as a stereosignal (so no DPL-II in that case).

3) When a DVD has a MPEG-2 audiostream (which unfortunately sometimes happens with European R2 discs), the RSX-1065 detects the MPEG-2 and switches to MP3 mode. That's wrong and no sound will be heard.

4) The RSX-1065 cannot switch between DTS ES matrix and DTS (like switching betweed DD 5.1 EX and DD5.1)

5) When the rec-out is set to tuner, the tunersound is softly audible through the surround- and CB speakers, even if the normal output is set to and playing DVD.

Also some wishes:
    a) rec-out should have an off mode
    b) re-direct function on the amps for front- to centerback (like the RSX-1055 does have)
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

1) There seemes to be no difference in normal DD5.1 and DD5.1 EX sound. With both formats the RSX-1065 uses the CB speakers. I think that's wrong. With normal DD5.1 the CB speakers should not be used. Only with DD5.1 EX (when the audiostream is flaged as EX or when Rotel XS is active) the CB speaker should be used. It seemes as if Rotel XS is always active, regardless of the choosing EX/non-EX.

The 1055 and 1066 also always have Rotel's XS processing on and its something we've asked to be fixed in a firmware upgrade.

2) The RSX-1065 always goes in DPL-II mode, even if a DD2.0 signal has no surroundflag. I'd like the RSX-1065 to decode a DD2.0 without a surround flag as a stereosignal (so no DPL-II in that case).

I think this is how any HT processor would work since Pro logic is simply a DSP mode that processes the 2 channel mix...it might be possible to detect DD2.0 but I'm not sure what if any flags are available for that format.

Date Posted: Sep 07, 2002 8:06 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Like the RSP-1066/RSX-1055 the RSX-1065 also has some point that need to be enhanced or fixed.
    The RSX-1065 has some flaws in decoding the sound format.

3) When a DVD has a MPEG-2 audiostream (which unfortunately sometimes happens with European R2 discs), the RSX-1065 detects the MPEG-2 and switches to MP3 mode. That's wrong and no sound will be heard.

Sorry I don't know anything about this one...

4) The RSX-1065 cannot switch between DTS ES matrix and DTS (like switching betweed DD 5.1 EX and DD5.1)

Again the 1055 and 1066 can't do this either. When I asked Rotel about it I was told that its a licensing thing with DTS and that Rotel doens't know how other companies have gotten around this issue (Outlaw for example)

5) When the rec-out is set to tuner, the tunersound is softly audible through the surround- and CB speakers, even if the normal output is set to and playing DVD.

I believe this has to do with the common grounds that all the analog inputs share...I hear on the 1055 and 1066 as well :cry:

I'll pass this thread on to Rotel so they know that we'd like some changes made if possible.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt

I think this is how any HT processor would work since Pro logic is simply a DSP mode that processes the 2 channel mix...it might be possible to detect DD2.0 but I'm not sure what if any flags are available for that format.
      Well the curious thing is that my RSX-1065 with the initial firmware (version 1.3) did this okay. Which means, with a DD2.0 stereo encoded signal the RSX-1065 only activated the frontspeakers and with DD2.0 surround encoded materiaal the RSX-1065 chose the DPL-II. But since the new v2.x firmware the RSX-1065 always choose DPL-II with DD2.0 material.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
        • Sep 2002

Again the 1055 and 1066 can't do this either. When I asked Rotel about it I was told that its a licensing thing with DTS and that Rotel doens't know how other companies have gotten around this issue (Outlaw for example)
        But with DTS the Rotel XS is also always active, because with a plain DTS 5.1 signal (like normal DD5.1) there is sound coming from the CB-speakers, and this is not supposed to.

Curious is that when the audiostream is DD4.1/DD4.0 (which means there is only one signal for both surrounds) the Rotel XS is NOT active and can not be activated either.

Comment

• greggz
          • Jun 2002

Correct me if I'm wrong but I didnt think the RSX-1065 receiver had DD-EX processing capabilities.

Gregg
          Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
            • Sep 2002

Originally posted by greggz
            Correct me if I'm wrong but I didnt think the RSX-1065 receiver had DD-EX processing capabilities.
            Yes, your wrong! Ever since firmware version 2.x the RSX-1065 also has DD-EX. It has even a special symbol for it in the display.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Rotel just confirmed that the 1065 was made about a year prior to the 1055/1066 twins so although similar there's a few things that they added to the 1055/1066's that simply aren't possible hardware wise to the 1065...incl the amp redirection issue.

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                • Sep 2002

Rotel just confirmed there's a few things that they added to the 1055/1066's.
                Besides the amp-redirection, can you tell me what more is different?

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                  • Sep 2002

I had the chance to listen to a 1055 for an evening. Indeed the issues on the 1065 and the 1055 are the same. One difference I found: when no CB speakers are configured on the 1055 it's not possible to switch between DD and DD EX (as it should be). On the 1065 switching is always possible, even if no CB speakers are configured. :?

Soundwise there is a difference between the two machines where the sound of the 1065 has much more impact. Here you can clearly here the better amps. 8)

I still like to know which things are added to the 1055. :?:

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Arnold why would you want to engage DD-EX if you don't have a 6th speaker? I don't see what benefit that would bring you...now i'd complain if you couldn't switch into DD-EX from a 5.1 source when you have the required 6 or 7 speakers.

Not sure what else they changed between the two machines

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                      • Sep 2002

Arnold why would you want to engage DD-EX if you don't have a 6th speaker? I don't see what benefit that would bring you...now i'd complain if you couldn't switch into DD-EX from a 5.1 source when you have the required 6 or 7 speakers.
                      Yep, you're absolutely right about this. ops:

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                        • Sep 2002

From Rotel Benelux I received an answer to my issues which I mailed them. The answers are from Rotel UK. And ... I'm very disapointed.

Here my questions with their answers:

Answer Rotel UK:
                        We made the assumption (based on user feedback) that in a 7.1 set up the listener would always want all his speakers playing. In the event that the consumer does not want anything to come out of the CB speakers he should turn the speakers to off in the speaker set up menu.

2) The RSX-1065 always goes in DPL-II mode, even if a DD2.0 signal has no surroundflag.

Answer Rotel UK:
                        Correct and consumers wanted DPLII as the default!!

Answer Rotel UK:
                        RSX1065 cannot decode MPEG 2 format. Currently RSX1065 can only decode MPEG1 layer 3 (MP3 format ).

No reaction on this issue.

Answer Rotel UK:
                        Possible due to the fact that the tuner is "ON" all the time. Set record out to Video 1 and there is no problem.

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

I can't fualt them for going with the wishes of most of their customers but I would like the ability to decided for my self if I wanted XS processing to be on all the time..though most of the time I would want it on anyway.

Not being able to force DTS-ES from DTS has to do with legal reasons and isn't something Rotel had much choice about. The person I was speaking to doesn't know how companies like Outlaw get around this issue legally.

With regard to #5 as I think I said before with the 1055 and 1066 you hear a faint signal from any analog input if an non active input is selected (as in DVD when the DVD player is off) I was told this was due to a common ground for all analog inputs. Incidently the Outlaw 950 does the same thing

Comment

• Arnold van Oostrum
                            • Sep 2002

With regard to #5 as I think I said before with the 1055 and 1066 you hear a faint signal from any analog input if an non active input is selected (as in DVD when the DVD player is off) I was told this was due to a common ground for all analog inputs. Incidently the Outlaw 950 does the same thing
                            My problem is that when rec-out is set to TUNER and I'm playing a DVD, I can hear very faintly the tunersound in the surrounds.

And don't get the wrong impression. I'm a very happy owner of the RSX-1065. Although some (minor) points, I'm enjoying this machine every minute in my hometheater setup. And Rotel Benelux is very helpfull with answering and always sending me the latest firmware. A perfect service.

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"