X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EDK
    • May 2005

802D diamond busted!!!!!

Was doing my weekley dusting on the 802Ds when i noticed that one of the diamond tweeters had a hole in about the size of a dime. It's still under warranty but will I have to bring the speaker back to the dealer or can I replace the diamond tweeter myself???? Thanks for any feedback. :cry:
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

So sorry dude! I know Misterdoggy had this problem before.... I hope your dealer takes care of you.

Was there a power spike or something that could've caused this?
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• EDK
      • May 2005

Don't think a spike caused it. No indication of a spike anywhere else in the system. Just hope I can replace the tweeter myself (those speakers weigh too much to carry in to the dealer!

Comment

• jack d
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by EDK
        Was doing my weekley dusting on the 802Ds when i noticed that one of the diamond tweeters had a hole in about the size of a dime. It's still under warranty but will I have to bring the speaker back to the dealer or can I replace the diamond tweeter myself???? Thanks for any feedback. :cry:
        Sorry I don't have any idea if you can replace it yourself.

In any case, that's horrifying! I assume it was on the front part of the tweeter. You didn't notice the difference in sound before you saw the hole? Do you have kids around who might have done the damage?

Comment

• Joey_V
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by EDK
          Don't think a spike caused it. No indication of a spike anywhere else in the system. Just hope I can replace the tweeter myself (those speakers weigh too much to carry in to the dealer!
          You can replace it yourself, 100% sure of that since Misterdoggy did that same thing.

Do you have pics?
          System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Audiophiliac
            • Apr 2006

The dealer should offer to replace the tweeter in your home. It can be tricky and B&W sends out specialty tool kits and complete instructions to their dealer/servicers. We have a set of tools just for the 800 series.

Comment

• EDK
              • May 2005

I'm calling the dealer in the morning to let them know of my problem. Don't think there will be an issue with them since I have spent many, many thousands of $s with them. Good to know that it is possible to replace the diamond tweeter (the diamond part is what shattered) myself. Don't have young kids, so it had to do it itself. One would think that something that cost so much would be that delicate.
              Just hope it doesn't take long to get a replacement. Strange, but I didn't notice a change in the sound until I noticed the damage. NOW,,, I can hear it !!!!!
              Thanks for the feedback. Ed

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Wonder what did that to your D tweeters? So sorry to hear that, and it is very worrying to anyone who has D series such as I !! First, Mr. Doggy NOW you ,who next, and what is causing these D's to bust??
                I would NOT fix it yourself if it under warranty. Let those B&W guys do there job!! That is why you have a warranty, and that is there problem not yours to fix. Get your money's worth, and let them fix it ,and give you a clear explanation as to what could have happened ,and please pass this on to all of us in this forum that have D series. Thanks in advance ,and very sorry to hear this bad news.
                What I can't understand ,is that you could not notice a change in sound when it was busted, until you saw it with your own eyes?? Strange and how come?? Just curious?
                Hope all goes well with you ,and God Bless.
                Cheers

Comment

• EDK
                  • May 2005

chinets, I didn't notice a sound difference because I was watching TV at the time. But with music at normal listening levels you do. The dealer just got back to me and said that they would come to my house (no charge) to replace the tweeter!! Will talk to the dealer and B&W rep to see if they have any idea what may have caused the damage. Will let this forum know. Thanks for the responses. Ed

Comment

• EastCoaster
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by EDK
                    chinets, I didn't notice a sound difference because I was watching TV at the time. But with music at normal listening levels you do.
                    How would you characterize the sound difference, with a busted Diamond Tweet and with an in-tact one?

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by EastCoaster
                      How would you characterize the sound difference, with a busted Diamond Tweet and with an in-tact one?
                      I'm guessing it's in the air and overall extension of the instruments and vocals that move further away from the fundamental frequencies and into the harmonic frequencies. I bet you lose imaging coherence too...

You can do this with your own working speakers, just cover up the tweeter with a piece of cloth.

Comment

• Angioguy
                        • Nov 2005

Busted Tweeter

Thought you might be interested to know that one of my rosenut 802D's came out of the crate with a shattered tweeter-- looked like broken egg shell. Never played the thing. I contacted the dealer immediately. They offered to replace the driver, which might have been fine for some, but in this case, how could I be sure no other internal damage had been sustained during shipping/delivery? Instead, I requested a new pair of speakers-- and that's exactly what I got! Incidentally, the dealer spoke to the folks at B&W, who claim that this problem was the first they had encountered for a brand new factory speaker. I was a little surprised, having learned how the tweeters are made and how fragile they are reported to be....
                        B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

These D tweets seem to be fragile.

Wonder what they cost? The N tweeters are only $99.

If replacement is similar to the N tweet, it can be done in about 2 minutes.
                          B&W

Comment

• Cambs12
                            • Jul 2006

I am confused too,i thought the reason for diamond was it is the hardest substance you can make..Maybe it is extremely thin,hence the potential problems..Still,i reckon the risk is worth it for the benefit over aluminium dome units...

Comment

• Kobus
                              • Aug 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                              Wonder what they cost? The N tweeters are only $99.
                              I think mrdoggy paid closer to $1000.

Kobus

Comment

• Cambs12
                                • Jul 2006

I looked into diamond unit replacement,including the housing unit,a few months back,when a pair of 803ds came up on the used market,but had damaged high-frequency units.
                                In the UK,B&W e-mailed me and advised the work should be carried out by a dealer.The cost for the tweeter,including the motor housing unit,came to 500 UK pounds each,plus fitting costs on top.
                                I believe they take the mid-range out,to get access..
                                Not sure what the diamond on it's own costs.

Comment

• EastCoaster
                                  • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Cambs12
                                  I am confused too,i thought the reason for diamond was it is the hardest substance you can make..Maybe it is extremely thin,hence the potential problems..Still,i reckon the risk is worth it for the benefit over aluminium dome units...
                                  I wonder what it would sound like to put the diamond tweeter on, say, an 805s? Now THAT would be a DYI project!

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Jan 2006

Good luck, EDK.
                                    Holding thumbs that it all works out ok for you.

Comment

• EDK
                                      • May 2005

Talked to the dealer again today. They seem to think, at this point, that it may have been a result of shipping damage. Now the rest of the story. I have had the 802Ds for about a year and during that time I have had to replace the two subwoofers in this same speaker. Now it's the tweeter. Think it may be a matter of time before the mid goes. But, I still love them!

Comment

• Cambs12
                                        • Jul 2006

In the UK,we have a saying when talking about cars "a Friday car",which means it was probable built on Friday,just before the workers go home for the weekend,and it is made poorly as they can't be bothered.maybe you have "Friday 802ds"!

You have been very unlucky tho,i think your dealer should get you a new pair out of good will.

Comment

• EDK
                                          • May 2005

The dealer should be replacing the tweeter this week. I plan to take pictures of the diamond tweeter replacement process and share with the rest of the forum. (they would only do a in home replacement)

Comment

• Joey_V
                                            • Jul 2005

Originally posted by EDK
                                            The dealer should be replacing the tweeter this week. I plan to take pictures of the diamond tweeter replacement process and share with the rest of the forum. (they would only do a in home replacement)
                                            Cool!!

Comment

• krellfan
                                              • Jul 2005

It's pretty easy to replace the tweeter. I replaced a damaged tweeter on an 802D. The diamond tweeter is very fragile like an egg shell. The damaged tweeter has to be returned to B&W as an exchange.

Comment

• EDK
                                                • May 2005

the dealer replaced the busted diamond tweeter (at no charge) yesterday at my home. The process took no time at all. The tweeter is removed by turning the metal shaft at the back end of the tweeter assembly. You push the tweeter out by pushing the shaft towards the front of the speaker. Th tweeter dome is connected wit two very short wired connectors. That was the process for rplacing a $1000 tweeter. B&W and the dealer could only guess what caused the failure (shipping---very original I must say). But in the end all is well again! :T

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                  • Jul 2005

Glad that all's well!!

Keep rockin with the 802D!

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • May 2005

EDK

Sorry I dint see this thread before. The diamond tweeters are nothing to replace. you unscrew the back the tweeter loosens and you unconnect the 2 wires and voila its free.

Did the guarantee cover the tweeter ?

I only bought mine because it was a months process to get the replacement and I was in a hurry. I sold the replacement on Audiogon for $600 and that was OK.

NO one should hesitate to replace this. its very easy. Those diamond tweeter are quite fragile.

Comment

• EDK
                                                      • May 2005

The warranty covered the whole thing (tweeter plus installation at my home)! And yes, that diamond dome is VERY fragile. Was nothing to replace once you know how.

Comment

Working...
                                                      😀
                                                      😂
                                                      🥰
                                                      😘
                                                      🤢
                                                      😎
                                                      😞
                                                      😡
                                                      👍
                                                      👎
                                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                      Search Result for "|||"