So, is everyone actually happy w/ their 1066?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris
    • Jul 2002

So, is everyone actually happy w/ their 1066?

I am considering purchasing my own 1066, but I've read a lot of complaints here about it. Are these just wishes for improvements, or are people really not satisfied? What is the overall concensus here? Thanks for the input.

Chris

Chris
    Chris
  • Oscar135
    • Jul 2002

Chris,

I'm in the same position as you. Sounds like the 1066 is a 976 with some added formats. I do like the looks of the 1066 much better and the silver one looks awesome! I'm also considering a used AVP. Any thoughts on the AVP?
    Thanks

Gary

Comment

• Chris
      • Jul 2002

Sorry Gary, I can't really help you there. I really have no experience w/ AVP at all. I am somewhat limited by what my local dealers carry and also by the fact that I am relatively new to the higher end of this hobby/obsession. I am just now looking to make my first move into separates, and I really just want to make an informed purchase.

Chris
      Chris

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Hey Chris and Oscar!

The "complaints" you may have read are rather a "whish list" that we've started here at HTG. Our buddy Andrew has established a good relationship with the Rotel folks and they VERY FREQUENTLY check these links to see what customers would like to see changed or added.

Currently they are working on a "major" upgrade to come out very soon to "fix or add" some of the features that you may have read about.

I am a happy 1066 owner and being my first jump into separates am VERY pleased!

Hope that clears things up a bit!

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• JKohn
          • Jun 2002

I wouldn't get too concerned over the wishlist/complaint threads. I'm one of the people complaining about bass management in another thread, but that doesn't mean I'm not happy with the 1066. Part of the reason we seem to be asking them to fix or change so many things is because they can. With the software upgrade capabilities of the 1066, it's actually possible for them to tweak the UI or certain features.

You also have to recognize that no pre/pro in this price range is going to have every feature you could possibly want, so you have to decide what's important. For me the 1066 is a good fit, especially since the Outlaw 950 is MIA. Maybe I would rather have more flexible bass management than the 1066 offers, but I can live with it as is, especially considering I would have to spend a lot more than $1500 to get a pre/pro that had the features the 1066 is missing.

Jeff Kohn
          Jeff Kohn
          http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• mml7
            • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Chris
            I am considering purchasing my own 1066, but I've read a lot of complaints here about it. Are these just wishes for improvements, or are people really not satisfied? What is the overall concensus here? Thanks for the input.
            Chris,

I believe that the comments you read here are more of the former category. While I have some minor gripes about the remote control, which really stinks (IMO), I am completely happy with the RSP-1066 and would consider it to be one of my best HT purchases (the B&W 804s take that honor).

Mike

Comment

• greggz
              • Jun 2002

Add me the list of very happy owners. I am very satisfied with not only the performance and price of the unit, but also the company.

You aren't really seeing a lot of complaints, but online brainstorming. Rotel is monitoring the wish list thread and going to make some of our request come true. That is the power of a software updateable unit. This is one of the few A/V products out there on the market that you can purchase and have a (collective) say in how it will work.

Gregg
              Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                • Jun 2002

My opinion? You asked the right guy.

Overall, I'd give the 1066 an 8 out of 10...with the potential of a 9.5 of 10. Let me explain...

I won't bore you with a gushing review of the pre-amp. There are plenty of those out on the net. I have yet to read a poor review. I generally agree with them all. However, here are my issues.

I hear audible distortion in the midrange using the DSP modes (Music 1 - 5, 5 channel stereo, 7 channel stereo) when more than 2 (large) speakers are selected in the speaker configuration and no subwoofer is selected. This distortion is much more pronounced when the source component is attached to the RSP-1066 via a digital (optical or coax) input, however still exists when the source is connected via an analog input.

I have been able to reproduce this at my dealer's store, and Rotel support has been able to reproduce this as well. This problem has been sent to Engineering, and I will (allegedly) be contacted when they have decided on how to address this issue. This was reported to Rotel as early as 6/17/2002.

Also, the SPL for a given volume changes as you add / remove speakers from your configuration.

Overall, the software seems unpolished. I find it odd that no one else has reported these types of issues, but I suspect that most HT enthusiasts set up their system once and leave it alone. I am constantly changing my configuration and trying different settings as I use the 1066 for 2-channel listening as well.

Would I buy the 1066 again? Probably. I don't think there is any real competition in its price range. However, I hope that the next major software release will take the 1066 to it's 9.5 (or even 10) out of a 10 potential.

Nicholas Renter

Comment

• Chris
                  • Jul 2002

Thanks everyone for the replies! Here's a question for all 1066 owners: with all of the minor glitches or issues that remain in the current form of the processor, if you were in the market today, would you buy the 1066, or would you wait until some confirmation came from Rotel that these issues will be addressed?

My only concern is that, if I buy a 1066 now and then Rotel comes out w/ a 'new and improved' 1066, then what? Not every problem can be addressed w/ software upgrades, can they? Does anyone know Rotel's current stance on this? Will they allow trade-ins or some program like that?

I am very eager to purchase this processor and ditch my receiver alltogether (I'm picking up the RMB-1095 tonight!), but I don't want to rush into it if Rotel has a better product (for the same price) on the way shortly.

Any thoughts or recommendations are appreciated. Thanks again.

Chris

Chris
                  Chris

Comment

• Nicholas Renter
                    • Jun 2002

Chris,

Just like in computers and women, there is ALWAYS a better model right around the corner. If you being to play the waiting game, you will always be playng the waiting game. For all we know, the first revision of the next Rotel unit will have the exact same types of issues as the initial release of the 1066. Then you'll be waiting for the next software upgrade. Then the next hardware upgrade. If it meets your needs and is in your price range, I can't think of a better match to a RMB-1095 than the 1066 (this is what I recently purchased as well).

Even with the current issues, I'm satisfied with the 1066. Though once they fix some of their software issues, I'll be jump-up-and-down-hip-hip-hooray excited about the unit.

Comment

• JKohn
                      • Jun 2002

I don't think the upcoming "big brother" is going to be in the same price range as the 1066, so if the 1066 is in your target price range it's probably not worth waiting for. I would guess that the big brother pre/pro will be priced to compete with the AVM-20 or better. And if that's in your budget, you may want to consider just buying the AVM-20 now.

The current issues are minor, or only affect relatively rare configurations. For instance, I don't have any speakers set to large and I don't care for the 7-Stereo or Music-n DSP modes, so the problem Nicholas mentioned is a non-issue for me. It would certainly be a good idea to scan through these discussions and see if there's anything that sounds like a deal-breaker for you, but for most people the 1066 is an excellent match, especially in this price-range where the only real competitition is the repeatedly-delayed 950 (which still isn't shipping).

Jeff Kohn
                      Jeff Kohn
                      http://home.houston.rr.com/jeffkohn

Comment

• Legairre
                        • Jan 2002

I've heard rumors that the big brother to the 1066 will be in the $3000 range and possibly be hardware and software upgradable like the AVM-20.

I have a silver 1066 and a 1095 amp. You'd have yo cut off my arm to get my 1066 away from me. For the 1095 you'd have to kill me.

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                        Radden Home Theater
                        "What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
                        Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Harl
                          • Jul 2002

Chris,
                          I agree with the others that there are some minor things that each of us wish were added or tweaked on our 1066's, but that in no way means the product is compromised in any major way. Who does'nt buy a car (BMW-Mercedes-Toyota, whatever...) and after driving it for a few weeks wish it had a switch in a different location, or a feature your friends car has?

I have been into home theater for many years and have been into seperates for the last 10 years. I absolutely love my 1066 in both performance and looks. My home theater overall is better than ever since adding this piece to my system. I have contacted Rotel on a number of occassions and have been very impressed with their customer support. Not only is the 1066 everything I could want in a pre/pro (sure, I'd love a Lexicon or Krell etc., but for the money, you can't touch this thing), I realize that the company acually seems to give a s--t about thier customers. Factor in the upgradability and this piece is a no brainer.

Buy one and enjoy yourself, you won't be disapointed.

Comment

• DrumTemp
                            • Aug 2002

Hey Chris,
                            I'll chime in as well--I've owned my 1066 for about 3 weeks, so I'm still getting a bit used to it. In fact, I'm still getting used to 5.1 surround! With that said, I've found the 1066 a little "quirky" for lack of a better word. But, I've read all the magazines and visited a lot of forums and I just couldn't find anything on the market in the Rotel's price range, and as a seperate component, that could beat it.
                            I use my 1066 for 95% HT (I have a seperate, dedicated listening room and system for my 2-channel enjoyment), so my requirements for a surround processor may not be as demanding as other owners, i.e., those who also use it for 2 channel stereo and/or DVD-A and SACD, but sound is certainly an issue...and the 1066 sounds quite good indeed!
                            Enjoy!

DT
                            DT

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"