X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • srinathalapati
    • Jan 2006

Power question for RSX-1055

Folks,

First, I am so glad we have this forum here! Thanks everyone for making this happen.

Now to my questions:

1) Is it recommended to plug amplifiers (mine is specifically a RSX-1055) into a:
    a) wall
    b) surge protector
    c) power conditioner

and why?

I have mine currently plugged into the wall because I thought my surge protector is making the receiver act weird - receiver wouldn't power on sometimes. Problem went away when I plugged it into the wall but now I am concerned the receiver may get fried because of no surge protection.

Any thoughts and recommendations?
    Srinath
    Rotel RSX-1055 Rotel RDV-1060 Tannoy Saturn S8
  • srinathalapati
    • Jan 2006

OK. It turns out that the problem may even exists when plugged into the wall. Yesterday, the unit was unplugged from the wall. I went home from work and plugged it in to the wall socket and it went to standby mode (blue light), which is expected due to my power setting. I then turned on the power using the remote control. Nothing. It would not turn on!!

I pressed the power button on the unit to turn it off and pressed it again to turn it on again. The unit powered fine.

Whats going on? Could it be that I have bad power? How do I rectify this (related to my previous question)? I sent this unit few weeks ago to Rotel and they looked at it and said everything is OK. I now wonder if I have occasional bad power. Are these the symptoms with bad power?

Srinath
    Last edited by srinathalapati; 14 February 2007, 11:54 Wednesday. Reason: Adding more information

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

So, it was unplugged all day and wouldn't kick on correctly with the remote first thing? Is it always not turning on from the remote, or will it sometimes not turn on from the front switch either? I'm wondering if it's a bad remote.

As to your question my order of preference would be:

Battery backup power conditioner
      Power condition if it has high current outlets
      surge protector
      Wall.

Comment

• srinathalapati
        • Jan 2006

It wouldn't turn on from the front switch either.

It happened again tonight. Sequence of events:

1. I powered it off using the front switch
        2. Few minutes later, I tried to power it on using the front switch. No power. No light either.
        3. Tried it couple of times (pressed the front switch to on/off/on/off)
        4. I then unplugged power cable from the back of the unit and plugged it back in while the front switch was turned off
        5. Pressed the front switch and unit came back on! I don't know if it had anything to do with the unplugging the cable and plugging it back in. Don't know what that does?

No remote was involved in the above sequence of events. I called Rotel. They are arranging for UPS to pick it up to look at it. Few more weeks of listening to my crappy Bose player.

I really don't want to give up on Rotel! :-(

Srinath

Comment

• gianni
          • Nov 2002

I'm having a similar problem as well:

My 1055 after being powered up, sometimes goes into STDBY immediately or sometimes after 10-20 minutes. Cycling the power button a few times will usually get it to stay on.

It has been sent to Rotel but they are having a hard time duplicating the problem last time we spoke. I did send them more info in addition to the dealer's breif problem description. I've heard of similar issues in the past, one of which I know Rotel did not resolve. I'll keep you posted but at this point, I don't have a warm fuzzy feeling.

FWIW, I have changed speaker wires, speakers, AC outlets, source components and inputs - nothing helps.

Comment

• srinathalapati
            • Jan 2006

Hi there,

you may have a different problem. my 1055, once its powered on, it doesn't have any problems what so ever. its only have to do with the power on sequence/process.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"