X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TommyV
    • Feb 2007

HDMI on RSX 1057

Hello fellow Rotel owners! I just discovered this forum!

Anyway I own a Rotel RSX 1057 and when I purchased it I was under the impression that it recieved audio via the HDMI inputs. I was disappointed to find after the fact that it does not. I e-mailed Rotel customer support about the possibility of an upgrade that would enable it to recieve audio via the HDMI inputs but the response was not promising. The guy wrote me a long e-mail all about the HDMI 1.3 spec and stated that HDMI 1.1 does not support multi channel audio which is what the Rotel has. I wrote back and stated that there were other HDMI 1.1 recievers on the market that recieve multichannel audio via HDMI and are able to recieve LPCM digital signals from the new HD DVD and BluRay players. I never got a response after that.

What would it take to make this happen? I mean the inputs are already there so I can't imagine that it would be too difficult. Has anyone else wondered this?
  • shadow 8
    • Aug 2004

No. Rotel is a year plus behind the market on hi def video and falling behind faster with each passing day judging by the mediocre offering coming this year according to CES.

Comment

• TommyV
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by shadow 8
      No. Rotel is a year plus behind the market on hi def video and falling behind faster with each passing day judging by the mediocre offering coming this year according to CES.
      No? You mean no it is impossible to upgrade?

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

The 1057 came out as an interim solution to add HDMI switching to the 1056. The HDMI ports are switching only and in no way are connected to the audio section or even the other video circuits. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to add this feature.

This was actually very well specified in the all the dealer memo's before, during, and after its release. It sounds like your dealer led you to believe different and I would take the issue up with them.

Kevin D.

Comment

• TommyV
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
          The 1057 came out as an interim solution to add HDMI switching to the 1056. The HDMI ports are switching only and in no way are connected to the audio section or even the other video circuits. It would be extremely difficult, if not impossible to add this feature.

This was actually very well specified in the all the dealer memo's before, during, and after its release. It sounds like your dealer led you to believe different and I would take the issue up with them.

Kevin D.

This is true they did somewhat mislead me. Also when I looked on the web page it stated "Are you concerned about future audio/video needs? The RSX-1057 is HDMI ready now with two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output (version 1.1) to connect your A/V components to the latest generation video displays with 1080P capability."

This leads you to believe that the reciever accepts audio via HDMI. Its says are you concerned about your future audio/video need? YES! It does not say are you concerned that your TV only has one HDMI input on it?

Comment

• gd
            • Jan 2003

Take any marketing verbiage – from any manufacturer – with a huge grain of salt... especially with new technology that is not fully resolved yet... I wish all of them were more forthcoming myself.

Never assume anything... the newer the features are, the more intensely you've got to do your homework, because these things are often rushed to market less than fully developed... in Rotel's case, they wanted their customers to have HDMI video switching while 1.3 is finalized (which probably won't happen in any big hurry).

The advice to take it up with your retailer is good advice, especially if they specifically led you to believe that HDMI passed audio on the Rotel – if you specifically asked... also know that some Rotel (and other) retailers are not always as fully checked out on the equipment as they might be.

If the 1057 has fallen short of your expectations, your retailer is your first line of communication.
            greg (gd to you)
            Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
            production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• TommyV
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by gd
              Take any marketing verbiage – from any manufacturer – with a huge grain of salt... especially with new technology that is not fully resolved yet... I wish all of them were more forthcoming myself.

Never assume anything... the newer the features are, the more intensely you've got to do your homework, because these things are often rushed to market less than fully developed... in Rotel's case, they wanted their customers to have HDMI video switching while 1.3 is finalized (which probably won't happen in any big hurry).

The advice to take it up with your retailer is good advice, especially if they specifically led you to believe that HDMI passed audio on the Rotel – if you specifically asked... also know that some Rotel (and other) retailers are not always as fully checked out on the equipment as they might be.

If the 1057 has fallen short of your expectations, your retailer is your first line of communication.
              Well 6 months or so ago when I purchased this receiver I didn't even know enough about HDMI to know there were receivers with HDMI that did not receive audio. I just assumed if it had HDMI it must receive the audio as well as video. I can not say that I specifically asked "does this receiver definitely receive audio signals via the HDMI ports?" before making my purchase.

The HDMI thing did and does disappoint me no doubt. The thing is this receiver has exceeded my expectations on many other levels. When I hooked my HD XA1 via analog outputs the sound is truly amazing. I just hope a good dual format player comes out in the near future w/ multi channel outs so I can enjoy lossless sound from both HD formats via my one set of analog inputs on the Rotel.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by TommyV
                I just hope a good dual format player comes out in the near future w/ multi channel outs so I can enjoy lossless sound from both HD formats via my one set of analog inputs on the Rotel.
                You and me both. We just got our first LG combo players in this week. From the time I've spent with it I would have to say it's not quite the answer yet.

Kevin D.

Comment

• gd
                  • Jan 2003

Originally posted by TommyV
                  The HDMI thing did and does disappoint me no doubt. The thing is this receiver has exceeded my expectations on many other levels. When I hooked my HD XA1 via analog outputs the sound is truly amazing. I just hope a good dual format player comes out in the near future w/ multi channel outs so I can enjoy lossless sound from both HD formats via my one set of analog inputs on the Rotel.
                  Exactly... sound quality is the overriding factor when considering Rotel over other more widely available makes.

A one-cable AV solution has been promised for so long now that it's laughable, long before HDMI was in the works... it will happen eventually, but right now you have a fine receiver and a hi-def player – so you have to invest in a few cables, no biggie.

As far as a dual format player goes, also know that you can add a BluRay player if you also invest in a switcher for the analog audio... http://www.zektor.com/products/index.html

Enjoy! :T
                  greg (gd to you)
                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• nikos
                    • Dec 2005

I also fell for this marketing trap...

but accepted it...

N
                    Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• FST
                      • Mar 2007

I have been running the RSX-1057 together with the RDV-1092 for almost 2 years now with no bigger problems. Of course the RDV-1092 doesn't like all the discs I try to feed it with so I should change the transport to the one in the RDV-1093.
                      Sometimes when I start them up I get a loud popping form the speakers and this only happen when some of the Video-inputs are engaged but not when the Multi-input is engaged.

To support another dying format I have purchased an HD-DVD player and I have hooked it up together with the other parts using HDMI-cables to the RSX-1057 and then to the projector. Now I don't get any picture from the projector. If I use the HDMI-cable directly from the different players to the projector works but not through the RSX-1057. Is the RSX-1057 weakening the signal so much that the projector can't sync with the players or what is going on? The length of the cables are 1 + 10 metres.

/FST

Comment

• rick c
                        • Aug 2004

I dont recall right now but i believe there were issues with the rotel rsx1057/1058 with the HDMI.Someone even said that there was no firmware fix.Sorry but it seems there is always a firmware fix for something,except this time.I personally got a little irritated with my rsx1056 that i ended up replacing it with a marantz sr8002.Wish i had done it along time ago.I was very happy with my rotel but as the years passed reliability became too irritating(minor but still irritating).So since i wanted to keep my dvda/sacd and wanted the new audio formats and didnt want to put up with the issues anymore.the rotel was out the marantz was in.If anyone is interested SQ was not sacrificed when i went to the marantz,on the contrary.
                        Sorry for the venting.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

the 1057 is straight HDMI switching only. There's no reason it should be effecting the output. Your lengths are fine.

So after adding the HD-DVD player, the 1092 no longer works going through the 1057 either?

Kevin D.

Comment

• FST
                            • Mar 2007

Thanks for the answer Kevin.

Actually I only had one HDMI-cable directly from the RDV-1092 to the projector. The purchase of the HD-DVD player forced me to buy two short HDMI cables so I would not need to swap the HDMI cable between the two players. For the audio I run multi-output from the RDV-1092 to enjoy all my DVD-audios and I use the optical output from the HD-DVD. I wish there were two sets of multi-inputs on the RSX-1057 to be able get all the benefits from the HD-DVD player and the DVD-Audios.

I guess I need to consider another upgrade again.

However if I unplug one of the players or not I can't get the HDMI switching to work which means no picture on the projector so I am back to swapping cable between the players.

I use the Supra HDMI cables and that should be a reasonable good cable for the job.

/FST

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Hmm.. You're using VIDEO1 and VIDEO2 right? If I recall, that's the only two inputs that the HDMI switches with. If you use VIDEO3-5, you won't get anything from the HDMI ports.

Kevin D.

Comment

• FST
                                • Mar 2007

Well what can I say.

This week-end I took a thorough look on the connections and indeed I needed to do some adjustments. With the two players connected to VIDEO1 and VIDEO2 and the audio assigned to the proper inputs everything works as it should.

Why is it so difficult to find the patience to read the owner's manual?

Thanks again Kevin.

/FST

Comment

• Mig17
                                  • Jan 2008

1057 is quite good receiver and deserve better speakers
                                  I think you should upgrade your speakers look like 601 or 602 to something better like new CM series if BW is in your mind
                                  upgarde to HD processors later

Comment

• adriand@callplu
                                    • Apr 2008

I have been considering buying an RSX-1058, but as stated, its features around HD seem a little further behind other Recievers such as DENON and NAD.

In saying that the quality reviews seem a lot higher for the Rotel equipment though. Does anyone have any insight to a possible release date for the next version to replace the RSX-1058, or suggest a similar alternative?

Comment

• wasabichondro
                                      • Sep 2009

I am using the video 1 and 2 on my RSX-1057 but am not getting a video signal on the TV?

Has Rotel had any issues with this problem?

Comment

• wasabichondro
                                        • Sep 2009

got it. Video 1 & 2 and I had to turn Video source to "on" I was origionaly using source 2 as my CD player, so video source was set to off.

Comment

• wasabichondro
                                          • Sep 2009

I use the analog outputs so I can have the Blu-ray player send the lossless audio to the receiver.

Comment

• TommyV
                                            • Feb 2007

This thread is years old

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"