X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LikeCoiledSteel
    • May 2004

Rotel 985MKII

Hi Guys,
    I just pulled the trigger on a used Rotel 985MKII, 5 channel amp. I had heard that it was pretty close to the 1075. Anybody still use this amp? I will use it for my B&W cdm1nt's and cdmcnt (biamped). Any horror stories? Thanks
    Steel

P.S. Now I can post in Club Rotel and feel like part of the gang.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Welcome aboard! From what's I've heard the only real reason to go with the 1075 is the 10 series faceplate. I think you'll be happy.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Crescent
      • Feb 2007

Had mine since 2000. No problems. Rock solid.

Comment

• mitzipurr
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by LikeCoiledSteel
        Hi Guys,
        I just pulled the trigger on a used Rotel 985MKII, 5 channel amp. I had heard that it was pretty close to the 1075. Anybody still use this amp? I will use it for my B&W cdm1nt's and cdmcnt (biamped). Any horror stories? Thanks
        Steel

P.S. Now I can post in Club Rotel and feel like part of the gang.

Have had mine for over 18 months really powerfull and great sound. I am sure you will not regret buying one.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
          • May 2004

Thanks guys, I will let you know when it arrives. I have nothing but good things from Rotel and B&W combo's.
          Steel

Comment

• rickyo
            • Jul 2006

Still using one since 2004.So far so good,really worth every cent :T

Comment

• RoMan
              • Jan 2007

I seen a second hand one that was selling for 995.00 CAD funds...IMO, that is way to high as it looked liked it was well used aesthetically. I think it was worth more in the way of 650 or less CAD funds.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                • May 2004

I found one for $340 shipped to my door in mint condition. Seemed like the best best bang for the buck.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                  • Nov 2004

The only possible issue is heat.

I considered purchasing one myself but then read somewhere they can run rather hot.

After owning a RB990bx (2 channel amp) which got way to hot for my liking, I decided against buying the 985 amp.

I would be interested to know if any 985 amp owners are finding their amps get hot and if there was any other issues with that amp ?

I may yet reconsider and buy one , however the 1075 amp does look great and by most reports does not get hot at all.

The 985 amp however can be got used at a great price.

Oh the 985 does not have the 12V trigger, which may or may not be an issue for some.

Pete

Comment

• eelco74
                    • Dec 2002

I own both a RB-991 and a RB-985MKII.

Both of them run pretty cool, but I have them on seperate shelves on my rack.
                    Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                    Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                    Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• bleeding ears
                      • Nov 2004

I have just bought a RB985 amp for a pretty good $450 Aus.

So far so good, I gave it a bit of a hiding playing some music dvd's and cds pretty loud.

It sounded better than my Sony Ta-n9000es amp at loud volumes and did not get very hot.

Pretty pleased so far and at that price I dont know of anything that could go close to it.

If you can get one at the right price, I recommend it.

Nobody yet seems to be able to tell us the difference between an RB985 and a RB985 MkII, anyone know ?

Comment

• bleeding ears
                        • Nov 2004

After a bit of digging, I think I have found the answer to my own question.

It appears the difference between the Rb985 and the Rb 985 mk II may be the faceplate and maybe an extra 10 watts per channel.

the rb 985 I own has no heatsink type faceplate, whereas what I think is the mark II has the heatsink faceplate.

I just thought maybe this info could help out someone else.

Try the link below for a picture.

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Both manuals are on Rotel's website, there might be some more minor differences.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                            • Nov 2004

Kevin, Yes both models are listed under user manual archives on the Rotel site, but interestngly the same manual (the MkII) is shown for each amp.

I suspect the amps are so similar there is no need for different manuals.

Although the Mk II is quoted at 110 watts per channel the manual for the Mk II says it is 100 watts per channel just like the earlier rb 985.

Apart from the heatsink faceplate and centred power button and LEDs the only other difference I can see is a removable power cord.

The MkII does definitely look better though !

I wonder if they were made in silver ?

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Ah, the global site has the wrong manual for the 985. Click on North America at the entry point and try again.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                • Nov 2004

Ahh, yes there it is, thanks Kevin.

Another difference between the models is the damping factor.
                                180 for the Mk I
                                260 for the Mk II

Comment

• deepakvali
                                  • Apr 2007

what is the difference for damping factor? what audible difference would there be?

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                    • May 2004

I guess I never made it as a memeber, the Rotel amp purchase fell through in the end. I sold my B&W's recently also.

I now run Gallo Reference 3.1's with a Krell Kav 250a and have not looked back.
                                    Steel

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                      • Nov 2004

Krell ? congratulations.

What amp were you using before the Krell? and could you describe for us the sound change between the amps ?

I'm guessing the Krell would be quite a step up from most amps, but then again I assume the price was too ?

A used Rb 985 is probably not the best amp out there, but it is possibly the best for that sort of money.

Did you ever get to hear an Rb985 amp? (or a 1075 amp)

It would be very interesting to get impressions between a Rb 985 or 1075 amp and something like your Krell. (I am assuming the Krell is multichannel ? )

Enjoy !

Pete

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                        • May 2004

Originally posted by bleeding ears
                                        Krell ? congratulations.

What amp were you using before the Krell? and could you describe for us the sound change between the amps ?

I'm guessing the Krell would be quite a step up from most amps, but then again I assume the price was too ?

A used Rb 985 is probably not the best amp out there, but it is possibly the best for that sort of money.

Did you ever get to hear an Rb985 amp? (or a 1075 amp)

It would be very interesting to get impressions between a Rb 985 or 1075 amp and something like your Krell. (I am assuming the Krell is multichannel ? )
                                        Enjoy !
                                        Pete
                                        Hi Pete,
                                        The Krell I have Kav250a, is a 2 channel amp. I purchased this one used at 75% off of retail in great condition. Before this amp I had a pair of Outlaw monoblocks (200watt), an HK PA5800 (80watts), Adcom 535 (60 watts), Carver Silver 9Ts (575 watts) and a few different speakers from B&W, Polk and now the Gallos.

The Krell is the best of the bunch, black background, very fast and powerful, and very detailed. I have never heard those Rotel amps, but heard they were on the warm side. The Krell is on the cold side. With detailed speakers it can make it a bit dry sounding on some recordings.

The Gallos are very detailed and show upstream limitations in gear.
                                        Steel

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                          • Nov 2004

Deepakvali, in relation to the difference in the damping factors of each amp,
                                          I am pretty sure you would hear little or no difference at all between a damping factor of 180 and 280 in the what would otherwise be the same amp (which the 985 and 985 MkII pretty much are)

I dont really know enough to comment any further on how damping factor works etc, but having previously owned an amp with a damping factor of 1000, and not being astounded by its capabilities, I would not put damping factor highest on my list of priorities in an amp.

In other words I dont think the damping factor is all that important and for the price and sound you get from a rb 985 amp, I would not even think about it.

Pete

Comment

• deepakvali
                                            • Apr 2007

sure thank you

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"