X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dthree
    • Feb 2007

New to the Club & video question

I just picked up a used RSX-1056 and am really happy with the sound. I am using it with a CRT RP (not HD) and have the reciever connected with only component. I am letting the reciever transcode the composite and S-video devices to component but I don't think I'm getting very good quality. The s-video and component connections straight to the TV seem to look better but I like the convenience of having the 1056 switching the video. (I had to connect my cable box directly to the tv because of a video noise issue, however.) Has anyone else compared the quality of transcoded vs. not?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Since there's no scaler involved, the best you can hope for is: just as good as.

It is a static conversion, it doesn't do things different based on the source, so a lot of the times it will be: almost as good as.

I have run across several devices that just don't go through the conversion process well at all. Certain cable boxes, older Dish network DSS boxes, Escient fireball, etc.. They just don't convert very well. Every brand receiver that does the conversion has it's own enemies. I know Yamaha's don't like Mitsubishi VCRs at all (they have since added a TBC circuit that helps a lot).

So if you don't want to change video inputs between sources you can get stand-alone converters or scalers for your main sources and run them into the component inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• dthree
      • Feb 2007

Interesting. Well, I have ordered a couple more component cables so that I can use as many things as possible on component. The holdouts will be the older game consoles and the comcast cable box, which I had to go direct anyway. When I eventually upgrade the TV to HD I'll suspect I'll have a host of new challenges but at least for now I'll have 3 units hooked up via component cables: xbox 360, dvd, and replaytv. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"