any sonic differences between RSP1066 and 1068?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlazeMaster
    • May 2004

any sonic differences between RSP1066 and 1068?

I'm thinking about picking up an used 1066, but wondering if there are any sonic differences between the 2. I've looked at the specs sheet between the 2 units and they seem to be using identical parts. Besides the bass management problem of 1066 on multi-external ins, is there anything else that I should be aware of?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Most relay better 2ch sound on the 1068. Of course it does have a stereo bypass mode on all analog inputs, where-as the 1066 only has the multi-in's.

Other then full 7.1 support with PLIIx, there close.

Kevin D.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

Thanks Kevin for answering my question, but one more question for you:
      I did a quick search on the topic and it seems that the 1068 also support more DTS formats where the 1066 doesn't support DTS 96/24?

Comment

• calmac
        • May 2005

Originally posted by BlazeMaster
        I did a quick search on the topic and it seems that the 1068 also support more DTS formats where the 1066 doesn't support DTS 96/24?
        I haven't directly compared the two ,I own a 1066 , but as kevin says the recieved information is that the 1068 sound a but better.The 1068 uses a toroidal transformer and should therefor be a bit quieter but the main thing from my point of view is the extra configurability of speakers with regard to x-over points.
        Gordon

Comment

• voxy
          • Jan 2005

Basically the core design are the same base on the schematics. I reckon the only upgrade done were the DSP, DAC & ADC and the mainboard for "bypass". On the other hand, I also found out that the 1066 actually uses 2 smaller transformer to power both analog and digital, another smaller for video. OPamps are similar but the 1068 uses cheapo TL072 for some switching and input/output whereas the 1066 just use all NJM5532. The 1068 comes with bypass which is a good feature if you listen to analog playback. The design of this circuitry is also well executed except maybe of some cheap components along the way nevertheless perform to its task.

So 1068 has better power supply and also digital processing compare to 1066. I would say both are good and it just comes down to your preference (price vs features). I would say get the 1068 if you have poor power supply at home.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Correct, but check DTS's site. I don't believe there's enough 96/24 discs out there to make that a concern.

Kevin D.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

Thanks guys, I think I'll go with the 1066, even though there's a great deal on a 1068 on Audiogon, but just found out that it's refurbished.

Comment

• bleeding ears
                • Nov 2004

The 1066 may be more reliable.

Dont hear of many probs at all with the 1066.

Comment

• hanser
                  • May 2002

I have the 1066 and it definitely HAS a analogue bypass. Any analogue stereo input will not be digitized if you remain in 2-channel mode. What the 1066 does, is: it makes a copy of the signal, digitizes it, does a low pass filter on it and sends it to the subwoofer. But in the menu you can put the subwoofor on "off" for stereo, so you basically have just an analogue bypass. By the way, this item has been thoroughly discussed here a few years ago when the 1066 was new.
                  to answer the OP: I am very content with the stereo sound from my Aqvox DAC, fed analogue and doubt that the 1068 offers much improvment there, although I have not listened to the 1068. In digital stereo sound the 1068 may sound better due to the better DACs (the 1066 is not very good for that, but what are good CD Players for??).

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

is the height of the 1066 exactly the same as that of 1068?

Comment

• JDH
                      • Sep 2004

yes, as far as I can remember from reading the manuals for each unit

is the height of the 1066 exactly the same as that of 1068?
                      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

According to the CAD drawings, they're exactly the same height.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"