X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • titan7
    • Dec 2005

Rc-1070 RB-1080 for DVD sound?

This may be a dumb question but here goes. I just picked up a new plasma HDTV and love it but wanted to know if I could run the sound through my Rotel system? I am using (2) HDMI cables, one to connect the TV to the cable box and the other from the TV to the DVD player. I was thinking I would only need to Rotel sound when watching DVDs so I would go from the Aux on the back of my RC-1070 to the L/R audio on the back of the DVD player??

Will this work or will I need to not use the HDMI cable from the DVD to the TV, and instead use component video from the TV to DVD and analog audip cables from the DVD to the RC-1070 Aux for the left and right audio signal? Sorry if this sounds confusing.

If I have to use component video over HDMI it may not be worth it if picture quality suffers as I heard HDMI is better than Componet video.

I just don't want to mess with a A/V receiver and lot's of other speakers.

thanks
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Titan,

I think you should be able to continue to use your HDMI to the plasma for video and just add some interconnects from the DVD to the RC-1070 for audio. Just turn the volume down on the plasma and away you go. :T

I hope this helps!
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• peterS
      Super Senior Member
      • Dec 2005

you may want to run analogue from the tv for voice video sink (assuming it has that feature) if you notice they are out of sink

Comment

• titan7
        • Dec 2005

Thanks!

Comment

• bigburner
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Hi titan7,

I have an RC-1070 + RB-1080 + 42-inch plasma. I get outstanding results from my set-up.

Three things help me make the most of my system:

1. I have a good subwoofer, which I think is important for concert DVD's. It is positioned below the plasma.

2. The plasma is positioned in the middle of my floorstanders, and my listening position is right in front of the screen, so when I'm in the sweet spot (which is 2 seats wide) the music is in beautiful stereo and the vocals come out of the screen.

3. I bought a new DVD when I got my plasma. It's an Oppo 971, which is a budget machine that offers very good price performance. The picture quality is excellent. I use an external DAC (an LFD DAC3) to improve the sound quality (even though the Oppo's SQ isn't bad).

I watch a lot of music DVDs (see this thread http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=21065) and enjoy them immensely.

The manuals for your DVD player and plasma will have the information you need to set your system up properly. The DVD manual is particularly worth reading as there are a number of settings to consider.

Nigel.

Comment

• mpeak
            • Jan 2005

Actually, there is many threads I've read on the audio forums of people discovering just how much better quality pure 2-channel is for Home Theater. I ran my Home Theater amp and then my 2-channel amp and found I much prefer the 2-channel, it always fills the room with involving sound instead of just mostly focused on the center channel. Now I only run my Home Theater with my RC-1070 and RB-1080. It gives the sound of the good ole days of the BIG sound like the movie theaters used to have before they went to multi-channel. I'm using HDMI from HDMI DVD to HDMI LCD TV, and all you do is run the analog RCA L/R cable from the DVD player to the RC-1070 "CD" or "AUX" RCA connections. The HDMI never syncs well so you will probably have to go to TV first then to RC-1070 if you want to use the TV speakers with it. I just turn down my TV speakers OFF or volume all the way down when using my Rotel sound because the TV speakers don't sound near as good and the Rotel gives out so much good sound that the TV speakers aren't needed when using it this way. The sync problem will make it sound like the room has an echo since the HDMI doesn't sync well with the rest of the audio, one of the known issues with HDMI. My all music setup is a Rotel RC-1090 and RB-1090.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"