X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • redwings99
    • Jan 2007

Sound Quality [DVD vs. CD]

Hi.

In general will you get better sound quality for music using a CD player (1072 for example) vs. a DVD player (Denon 2910). Thx.
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Yes, you should get better sound quality from a dedicated CD player over that of a DVD player.
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Ted
      Yes, you should get better sound quality from a dedicated CD player over that of a DVD player.
      I second that.

Comment

• Iggurk
        • Jun 2006

2910 wasn't a really good player for music.

Even my 3910 (quite modded) sounds poor compared to my dedicated sacd player, and 3910 is far beyond 2910 for sound IMO.

If you really want to enjoy audiophile sound go for high end cd/sacd player.

Comment

• deke
          • Dec 2005

Can anyone offer any technical insights into why this might be the case?

Comment

• redwings99
            • Jan 2007

Thanks much.

What are your opinions of the 1072?

Comment

• wolfgang
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by deke
              None. Listen with your own ears again but with care this time. Don't simply believe everything printed in audio mags.

Comment

• deke
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wolfgang
                None. Listen with your own ears again but with care this time. Don't simply believe everything printed in audio mags.
                Didn't mean to imply that a stat would suffice. I personally compared my old Rotel RCD-975 to my new (at the time) Denon 2910 DVD player and much preferred the old Rotel. This surprised me as I'd suspect that even a shitty component is better than a higher end one that's 5 years older.

Comment

• cfrizz
                  • Apr 2006

I thought the same thing Deke! I found out differently when I compared my then RCD 855 with my much newer Pioneer universal player. My 855 stomped all over the Pioneer.
                  Cathy
                  ---------
                  Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• peterS
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Iggurk
                    2910 wasn't a really good player for music.

Even my 3910 (quite modded) sounds poor compared to my dedicated sacd player, and 3910 is far beyond 2910 for sound IMO.

If you really want to enjoy audiophile sound go for high end cd/sacd player.
                    they are identical besides bass management as far as i know?

Comment

• jim777
                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by deke
                      Maybe that in a "cheaper" DVD design, the DAC will have only one clock for 48 or 96kHz sampling. Listening to a CD means that the player must do odd resampling of 44.1kHz audio to 48kHz.

The CD player will be optimized for 44.1 only, since there is no 48, 96 or 192 to support.

Comment

• voxy
                        • Jan 2005

Well if you compare the Rotel 1072 and Marantz DV9600, the Marantz wins hands down. I have both.

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                          • Nov 2006

well voxy, what do you think the rotel lacks that the marantz wins? , why do you like more the marantz than the rotel in other words.

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

I would disagree with Voxy ,as I have both too. I find the Marantz DV 9600 with SACD and DVD-A exceptional ,but that is for Multichannel which the RCD 1072 does not have ( I mean the SCAD and DVD-A capabilities). However, In CD Redbook I find the RCD 1072 smoother and warmer than the Marantz. The Marantz don't get me wrong sounds fantastic for a Universal player/CD player ,but the Rotel 1072 has a better STEREO sound stage and more smooth to the ear. The Marantz is more clinical and has more detailed highs and maybe more musical to the ears, but fatigue sets in quick In Stereo mode compared to the 1072 also the DV 9600 lows are more boomier but that is in STEREO mode ONLY, because when it comes to Multichannel SACDS and DVD-A the Marantz wins hands down. To get Multichannel with the 1072 you have to have it in 5 Channel mode Analogue ,and even there the 1072 is better sounding and more warmer than the DV 9600 in 5 Channel. High Rez is another story, as the Marantz is the King of High Rez with SACD and DVD-A.
                            My 2 cents
                            Cheers

Comment

• redwings99
                              • Jan 2007

I'm running the 1072 in Bypass and really do like the sound. Perhaps I'm just hearing things but I do seem to have much more clarity than my Denon 2910.

Comment

• DL86
                                • Sep 2005

Well heres my experience of cd's played on: marantz dv6400 dvd player---> yamaha rx-v657 --> rotel rb-1090 vs shanling cd-t80 --> rotel rb-1090. The latter combination makes the first combination sound muffled and harsh in comparison, with the shanling it just add's layers of realism to the sound and you hear more. Its not a subtle difference its actually quite noticable.

Theres my 2 cents

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                                  • Nov 2006

i love my 1072...

Comment

• NonSense
                                    • Nov 2003

Originally posted by peterS
                                    they are identical besides bass management as far as i know?

Actually the 2910 and 3910 have different audio DAC's

The 2910 uses the DSD-1791
                                    The 3910 uses the DSD-1796

The 3910 was the real successor to the 2900 model. At the time, the DSD-1796 was boasted as Burr-Brown's top audio DAC. (that is why the 3910 is a favorite amoung tweekers) However, some still felt that BB's PCM1704 was still the best performer.

There's more to a player than just the DAC, but the difference shows that the 2910 and 3910 were designed to have a different level of audio performance.
                                    Bruce

Comment

• chinets
                                      • Jun 2005

Yes, 1072 In Bypass mode sounds best !!!!! Better than DV 9600 In 2 channel IMHO !!

Comment

• mpeak
                                        • Jan 2005

RCD-1072 is still the winner here

My friend has the Rotel RCD-1072 (so do I) and had the Shanling T80 and we spent one weekend going back and forth between the two on his RC-1090/RB-1090 and he kept the Rotel RCD-1072 and sold the Shanling, he was quite upset with the results because he had listen to another that said the Shanling was better. What may sound better to another, just may not to another. In this case, I too liked the Rotel RCD-1072 over-all much better! I DID NOT like how the Shanling softens the sound. Background detail and echos are easily heard on the Rotel RCD-1072 while the Shanling softens too much for my ears liking that it filters out some detail for the softer sound in those areas. If you like your sound a bit softened out, you'll probably like the Shanling, if you like to hear it in more detail, you will love the Rotel RCD-1072, yet the Rotel is still smooth.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"