X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Hypothetical HDMI & Rotel Question

I am curious about something. Assuming I use an external HDMI switcher (4 in and 1 out) and would therfore only have 1 HDMI cable going to a SSP for all audio and video do you think it would be possible to give that 1 HDMI input multible names? i.e. TV, XBOX 360, HD DVD etc? Has anyone checked if current Rotels allow more then 1 name for each input?

I guess ill check when im in front of my SSP and post if no one else has.
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

I don't mean to hijack your thread, in fact I am very interested in your question, but how would an external switch, like those at monoprice.com compare with an "internal" HDMI switch receiver such as Rotel RSX-1057?

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by thyname
      I don't mean to hijack your thread, in fact I am very interested in your question, but how would an external switch, like those at monoprice.com compare with an "internal" HDMI switch receiver such as Rotel RSX-1057?

my guess...no difference since its digital. I doubt digital video adds any potential "noise" if done internally, but i could be wrong. An external switcher can be more versitile however.

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
        I am curious about something. Assuming I use an external HDMI switcher (4 in and 1 out) and would therfore only have 1 HDMI cable going to a SSP for all audio and video do you think it would be possible to give that 1 HDMI input multible names? i.e. TV, XBOX 360, HD DVD etc? Has anyone checked if current Rotels allow more then 1 name for each input?

I guess ill check when im in front of my SSP and post if no one else has.
        I wouldnt think this is possible. I dont see how the SSP could determine the source when using an external switcher. It would be as if the DVD/Xbox/etc would have a signal that has some type of signature which would get carried through the swticher and when it gets to the SSP it would have to not only recognize this signature but also attach a specific label to it. Plus I dont know of any SSP's that can have multiple lables for one input.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

The only thing you could do is set the video input for all inputs to be the same one. (That's only on the 1056,1057,1068, 1067, & 1098).

None of there current line will decode any audio form HDMI, so you would still have to run the audio cables. And since the only piece right now with HDMI is switching only, you might as well just run the one HDMI out direct to the TV.

I'm mainly just trying to figure out where you're headed with this, as it's not even valid with their current receivers with HDMI.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
            The only thing you could do is set the video input for all inputs to be the same one. (That's only on the 1056,1057,1068, 1067, & 1098).

None of there current line will decode any audio form HDMI, so you would still have to run the audio cables. And since the only piece right now with HDMI is switching only, you might as well just run the one HDMI out direct to the TV.

I'm mainly just trying to figure out where you're headed with this, as it's not even valid with their current receivers with HDMI.

Kevin D.
            It is totally hypothetical, and not a question related to any of their current HDMI products. Eventually Rotel will have a SSP which has HDMI and decodes the new sound formats. I am speaking strictly about the prospect of those.

There is a lot of HD out there now and lots of good tittles coming. I am in the process of deciding on a failry major change to my system. I hope the timing of Rotel will be there, and am trying to figure out the best HDMI management.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Gotcha.. Most of the SSP that I've seen that do decode over HDMI, that input is limited to one source. IE, once you set DVD to HDMI2, HDMI2 cannot be selected for another input.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                Gotcha.. Most of the SSP that I've seen that do decode over HDMI, that input is limited to one source. IE, once you set DVD to HDMI2, HDMI2 cannot be selected for another input.

Kevin D.
                ok, so then HDMI switchers may become a useless article when SSPs have HDMI and can decode new sound formats. I sure hope when Rotel releases a next gen SSP they will offer a min of 4 HDMI inputs.

Comment

• Pez
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Vancouver
                  ok, so then HDMI switchers may become a usely article when SSPs have HDMI and can decode new sound formats. I sure hope when Rotel releases a next gen SSP they will offer a min of 4 HDMI inputs.
                  Your last words are very important - 4 hdmi inputs. I for one am very curious to see how many hdmi inputs they will have. I sure hope they dont do like they did for component and only include 3 (that goes for just about every manufacturer). One for every video source would be awesome but I am not holding my breath even though this should be stanard.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Pez
                    Your last words are very important - 4 hdmi inputs. I for one am very curious to see how many hdmi inputs they will have. I sure hope they dont do like they did for component and only include 3 (that goes for just about every manufacturer). One for every video source would be awesome but I am not holding my breath even though this should be stanard.
                    in reality, for me. if they offer 4 HDMI inputs and 1 or 2 HDMI outputs i really wont need any other inputs or outputs aside from, CD analog in, and pre outs. Maybe 1 COAX just in case.

Mulyi inputs, all other digital inputs, component, will not be needed; not for me anyway.

there has to be a cost savings for rotel with this no?

Comment

• thyname
                      • Jan 2005

I sure hope when Rotel releases a next gen SSP
                      When is this happening? Should I wait until then? Is any company already in the market with these?

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by thyname
                        When is this happening? Should I wait until then? Is any company already in the market with these?
                        Yes some companies will this year, but as I know it Rotel will not. I am guessing 2008.

Comment

• Pookie007
                          • Apr 2006

The way I got around this problem while using an external HDMI switcher is by using it only for video switching. I run a digital audio cable from each component to the pre-amp also. Then when I set up the input, they all using video 1, but different audio inputs. Then I can set the CD input to stereo, the DVD and Cable box to 5.1, etc.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"