• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tagman
    • Jan 2007

Where is the XM tuner??

Hi all,

I just purchased a few rotel amps and a processor. I was hoping to buy
    a new tuner with XM. I currently use xm through a receiver also tied in with my sytem.

Wanting to get rid of the receiver i figured i would purchase a new rotel
    tuner to keep the system all matched up. Rotel only makes a sirius radio.
    That sucks!!!

Does anybody know if Rotel plans on releasing a XM, hd radio tuner in the near future?? The website makes no mention of this. Any info would be great. Thanks.

Tommy
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The RT-1084 was originally planned to be a HD/XM/SIRIUS tuner (with your choice of three XM/SIRIUS modules). Unfortunately, XM was not interested in helping Rotel add support for it to their tuner.

After months of unreturned phone calls and complete lack of support, they ditched XM and went with just Sirius. I would highly doubt ever seeing XM support on anything of theirs in the future.

Kevin D.

Comment

• jim777
      • Mar 2005

XM and Sirius are "very-low-fi", not even low-fi, so should we care?

Comment

• Pez
        • May 2004

Originally posted by jim777
        Definately. Radio is great for background music and parties (when its commercial free). These are two areas where it doesnt need to be the highest possible quality, just having the ability to play music is enough. Besides, the radio is the last thing I would use for critical listening.

I like XM for baseball and its a bummer that rotel only offers sirius, at least to me.

Comment

• Slice
          • Jan 2005

So, has anybody seen an actual RT-1084 yet? In other words, what is causing the release to be held up?

When I last emailed them, they assured me that release would happen in October. 2006. :Z Yeah, that was a good one! :rofl:
          - Slice

Comment

• tagman
            • Jan 2007

I care!

Yes Jim, I do like lo fi xm radio for listening to news, comedy, and of course background music. XM radio has turned me on to 100's of new artists that I never heard of. I have purchased many cd recordings of these artists.

yes, the sound sucks, but when I sit in front of my beautiful dynaudios
            I can assure you the music I'm listening too is definitely HI FI.

Also a company like Rotel see's the importance of satellite radio, and my rotel equipment is definitely hi fi. Thank you.

Tommy

Comment

• jim777
              • Mar 2005

Hi Tommy,

Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding, I never said that Rotel (or Dynaudio for that matter) is LO-FI. But no one can make XM sound better than what it is, heavily compressed & pre-processed audio. If you feed an iPod dock with 32kbps audio files, no hardware will bring back the quality you want.

In other words, no need for a Rotel XM tuner. If you are already an XM fan then you already have a tuner and you will not gain any quality with a better one, because the source material itself is too bad.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Slice
                So, has anybody seen an actual RT-1084 yet? In other words, what is causing the release to be held up?

When I last emailed them, they assured me that release would happen in October. 2006. :Z Yeah, that was a good one! :rofl:
                Yup... It's been shipping since the first of December.. I posted about it on the 12th.

Kevin D.

Comment

• tagman
                  • Jan 2007

Hi Tommy,

Just to make sure that there is no misunderstanding, I never said that Rotel (or Dynaudio for that matter) is LO-FI. But no one can make XM sound better than what it is, heavily compressed & pre-processed audio. If you feed an iPod dock with 32kbps audio files, no hardware will bring back the quality you want.

In other words, no need for a Rotel XM tuner. If you are already an XM fan then you already have a tuner and you will not gain any quality with a better one, because the source material itself is too bad.

Hi Jim,

No, I totally understand what you are saying. I agree that the sound quality is bad with the satellite radio. When I said that I listen to hi fi with my system I meant when I am listening to cd or dvd.

I know no matter how much I spend on a system satellite sounds bad.

I do like the fact that I do get introduced to so many artists with satellite.

Your input is very important, and with an open mind I really appreciate it.
                  Thank you.

Tommy

Comment

• jim777
                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by tagman
                    Hi Jim,

No, I totally understand what you are saying. I agree that the sound quality is bad with the satellite radio. When I said that I listen to hi fi with my system I meant when I am listening to cd or dvd.

I know no matter how much I spend on a system satellite sounds bad.

I do like the fact that I do get introduced to so many artists with satellite.

Your input is very important, and with an open mind I really appreciate it.
                    Thank you.

Tommy
                    Thanks for your comments Tommy. Now I can say that I think that you are right

Comment

• Vince Helm
                      • Mar 2006

Hey guys.

I bought the Polk XRT 12 XM tuner. Hooked it up to a Musical Fidelity X-DACv3 with Stereovox digital cable... Still sucks... except for content. I do like the on screen display and the remote turn on feature. Oh well.
                      Vince

Comment

• tagman
                        • Jan 2007

Hey, how does the new hd radio sound? I have not heard it at all yet, but does it sound ok with a good system?

Comment

• jim777
                          • Mar 2005

Hey, how does the new hd radio sound? I have not heard it at all yet, but does it sound ok with a good system?
                          Worse than 128kbps MP3, maybe a little better than amazon.com audio samples. So the better the system, the more you will hear coding artefacts..

Comment

• tagman
                            • Jan 2007

Worse than 128kbps MP3, maybe a little better than amazon.com audio samples. So the better the system, the more you will hear coding artefacts..

Hey Jim,

What a shame!! Satellite radio could be so great if the sound quality was
                            quality.

I forgot to mention, even my installers were complaining to me how bad satellite radio sounds as they were hooking up my system.

I wonder if they ever plan on improving it, and how can that be achieved.

Tommy

Comment

• jim777
                              • Mar 2005

Hey Jim,

What a shame!! Satellite radio could be so great if the sound quality was
                              quality.

I forgot to mention, even my installers were complaining to me how bad satellite radio sounds as they were hooking up my system.

I wonder if they ever plan on improving it, and how can that be achieved.

Tommy
                              For most consumers, "improving" means adding more channels, not quality.

They do not plan on improving it. I even have good sources that tell me that satellite radio would like to find a way to lower bitrate even more while keeping the quality "acceptable". I don't know about the U.S. but the same thing is going on here with cable TV.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                • Apr 2005

For most consumers, "improving" means adding more channels, not quality.

They do not plan on improving it. I even have good sources that tell me that satellite radio would like to find a way to lower bitrate even more while keeping the quality "acceptable". I don't know about the U.S. but the same thing is going on here with cable TV.

Beautiful....
                                Lets take mediocre to a new low..

Any thoughts on HD FM now avaialble ?

Comment

• jim777
                                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                                  Any thoughts on HD FM now avaialble ?
                                  From Wiki: "In hybrid mode, the AM version can carry 36 kilobits per second of data for the main audio channel, while FM stations can carry information at 96 kbit/s."

So it's more bitrate than Satellite, at least for the FM version, but keep in mind that there is also talks for 5.1 audio (that would have to fit into the 96 kbps too). Consumers want "more" ! and that isn't more quality for sure.

But to give you an idea, with modern codecs (like HE-AAC+ and AMR-WB+), 48 kbps is near 128 kbps MP3 quality; and in the case of AAC (AMR doesn't scale up that high yet), 64 kbps is "high quality" but still far from lossless of course.

At least it is "free" for consumers...

Comment

• jim777
                                    • Mar 2005

The bitrates specified for HD radio are for the whole channel. Tons of error correction is required so the true bitrate for the audio itself is probably much lower than what is quoted.

Did anyone hear both HD radio and XM or Sirius?

Comment

• Slice
                                      • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                      Yup... It's been shipping since the first of December.. I posted about it on the 12th.

Kevin D.
                                      Kevin - that is not what I asked. I read your 12/12 post and as a result spoke with my dealer. They placed an order, and have still not received any AFAIK, because I have been asking them.

So if it has "been shipping", where the heck are they? Do some dealers have them?

I've not read about anyone getting their hands on a production unit.
                                      - Slice

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

Slice,

Good to know. Unless we sell one at work I just have to follow the news letters we get.

I'll see if I can find out what the word is.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Slice
                                          • Jan 2005

Well, today's news is the talk of a merger between XM & Sirius, and which programming will ultimately be kept and which will be discarded between the two.

What's Rotel gonna do now? And what are all those people with one or the other in their new luxury cars gonna do?

At least Rotel took Britney's "Oops I Did It Again" off the artwork - I'll bet they said "Whew - that was a close one!", considering her increasingly whacked-out behaviour.
                                          - Slice

Comment

• dthree
                                            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Slice
                                            Well, today's news is the talk of a merger between XM & Sirius, and which programming will ultimately be kept and which will be discarded between the two.
                                            I don't think this merger will go through. One satellite radio company is not allowed to own the other.

Comment

• Slice
                                              • Jan 2005

This is part of my concern. Provided that the listener has:
                                              1. An HD radio programming source
                                              2. A high quality HD tuner
                                              3. A high quality system

it's still not clear to me whether the main advantage of HD Radio (Hybrid Digital, not High Definition) is merely 'additional' channels riding the same frequency from the same station, or whether it actually will provide 'High Definition' (ie, CD-quality-or-better) sound. I've got at least 6 local stations that I regularly listen to that are already broadcasting HD, and if I knew I could reproduce it at CD-quality, I could really rock an RT-1084.

However, at this point, I couldn't care less about satellite radio. From the discussions about the proposed XM/Sirius merger on the Newshour last night, the two companies are claiming extremely low revenues relative to their respective investments. They said that if the merger is not approved, you can expect to see either reduced content or higher subscription fees. Collectively, they've already laid out $500M each for 4 geo-synch. satellites, and inked large contracts with Howard Stern ($800M!), NFL, MLB, Oprah, and a bunch of rappers, so they're deep in the hole.

Apparently, not enough people are willing to subscribe to radio when they can stream it for free. It strikes me that the promotion/education w.r.t. HD programming and the rollout for HD tuners have been about as poorly done as that for high-resolution DVDs.
                                              - Slice

Comment

• tagman
                                                • Jan 2007

This is going through!!!

Hi everyone, I think this is going to happen. It is not illegal.

I subscibe, here is an email I received yesterday from XM. Sorry it's a little long, but for those who are interested here it is.

Subject: Exciting Merger News from XM
                                                Date: February 20, 2007 11:27:19 AM EST
                                                To: tag1993@optonline.net
                                                Reply-To: xmradio.email@xmradio.com

February 20, 2007

Dear XM Radio Subscriber:

We want to share with you some exciting news: Yesterday, in Washington DC, we announced XM Radio will be merging with Sirius Satellite Radio to form the premier digital audio service.

The merger will create a satellite radio company that will provide consumers across the country with more and better premium radio programming. The combined company will be able to compete better in what has become a very complex and dynamic entertainment market.

Where today our exclusive contracts mean you had to choose between baseball and football or Oprah and Martha Stewart, the new company will seek to ensure that in the future, you will be able to access both companies' programming. And, once we are fully integrated, those of you who have factory-installed satellite radio will no longer be limited to the programming provided by the exclusive satellite radio service chosen by their car manufacturer.

This merger should be completed in late 2007 or early in 2008. Throughout the year, we will provide updates on how the merger is progressing and information will be available at our website, www.xmradio.com.

Between today and the merger date, as well as during the period immediately after the merger date, all of your services will remain the same. The channel lineup, the customer service number, the great music technology, and the XM Radio web site will all remain unchanged and there will be no disruption to service. But, if you have questions, information will be available and maintained on our website, and you can contact our Listener Care team at 800-XMRADIO, with questions and concerns.

XM Radio continues to be committed to providing you the highest quality audio entertainment and customer service available today. After the merger, our new company will be able to offer you the most exciting listening experience in radio.

Sincerely,

Hugh Panero
                                                CEO, XM Satellite Radio

Forward Looking Statements
                                                This letter contains "forward-looking statements" within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Such statements include, but are not limited to, statements about the benefits of the business combination transaction involving Sirius Satellite Radio Inc. and XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., including potential synergies and cost savings and the timing thereof, future financial and operating results, the combined company's plans, objectives, expectations and intentions with respect to future operations, products and services; and other statements identified by words such as "anticipate," "believe," "plan," "estimate," "expect," "intend," "will," "should," "may," or words of similar meaning. Such forward-looking statements are based upon the current beliefs and expectations of SIRIUS' and XM's management and are inherently subject to significant business, economic and competitive uncertainties and contingencies, many of which are difficult to predict and generally beyond the control of SIRIUS and XM. Actual results may differ materially from the results anticipated in these forward-looking statements.

The following factors, among others, could cause actual results to differ materially from the anticipated results or other expectations expressed in the forward-looking statement: general business and economic conditions; the performance of financial markets and interest rates; the ability to obtain governmental approvals of the transaction on a timely basis; the failure of SIRIUS and XM shareholders to approve the transaction; the failure to realize synergies and cost-savings from the transaction or delay in realization thereof; the businesses of SIRIUS and XM may not be combined successfully, or such combination may take longer, be more difficult, time-consuming or costly to accomplish than expected; and operating costs and business disruption following the merger, including adverse effects on employee retention and on our business relationships with third parties, including manufacturers of radios, retailers, automakers and programming providers. Additional factors that could cause SIRIUS' and XM's results to differ materially from those described in the forward-looking statements can be found in SIRIUS' and XM's Annual Reports on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005, and Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q for the quarters ended March 31, 2006, June 30, 2006 and September 30, 2006 which are filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (the "SEC") and available at the SEC's Internet site www.sec.gov The information set forth herein speaks only as of the date hereof, and Sirius and XM disclaim any intention or obligation to update any forward looking statements as a result of developments occurring after the date of this press release.

Important Additional Information Will be Filed with the SEC This communication is being made in respect of the proposed business combination involving SIRIUS and XM. In connection with the proposed transaction, SIRIUS plans to file with the SEC a Registration Statement on Form S-4 containing a Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus and each of SIRIUS and XM plan to file with the SEC other documents regarding the proposed transaction. The definitive Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus will be mailed to stockholders of SIRIUS and XM. INVESTORS AND SECURITY HOLDERS OF SIRIUS AND XM ARE URGED TO READ THE JOINT PROXY STATEMENT/PROSPECTUS AND OTHER DOCUMENTS FILED WITH THE SEC CAREFULLY IN THEIR ENTIRETY WHEN THEY BECOME AVAILABLE BECAUSE THEY WILL CONTAIN IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT THE PROPOSED TRANSACTION.

Investors and security holders will be able to obtain free copies of the Registration Statement and the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus (when available) and other documents filed with the SEC by SIRIUS and XM through the web site maintained by the SEC at www.sec.gov. Free copies of the Registration Statement and the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus (when available) and other documents filed with the SEC can also be obtained by directing a request to Sirius Satellite Radio Inc., 1221 Avenue of the Americas, New York, NY 10020, Attention: Investor Relations or by directing a request to XM Satellite Radio Holdings Inc., 1500 Eckington Place, NE Washington, DC 20002, Attention: Investor Relations.

SIRIUS, XM and their respective directors and executive officers and other persons may be deemed to be participants in the solicitation of proxies in respect of the proposed transaction. Information regarding SIRIUS' directors and executive officers is available in its Annual Report on Form 10-K for the year ended December 31, 2005, which was filed with the SEC on March 13, 2006, and its proxy statement for its 2006 annual meeting of stockholders, which was filed with the SEC on April 21, 2006, and information regarding XM's directors and executive officers is available in XM's Annual Report on Form 10-K, for the year ended December 31, 2005, which was filed with the SEC on March 3, 2006 and its proxy statement for its 2006 annual meeting of shareholders, which was filed with the SEC on April 25, 2006. Other information regarding the participants in the proxy solicitation and a description of their direct and indirect interests, by security holdings or otherwise, will be contained in the Joint Proxy Statement/Prospectus and other relevant materials to be filed with the SEC when they become available.

Please note: this is not a promotional e-mail. As an XM subscriber, you will periodically receive service notices via e-mail. These service notices are intended to provide you with helpful information that will facilitate and enhance your XM listening experience.

You are receiving this email because you previously indicated that you'd like to receive email updates from XM Satellite Radio. To unsubscribe, please

Comment

• Alaric
                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                  • Jan 2006

Just to wander on over to the topic , Marantz ST7001 tuner has XM capability. I've seen them online for less than $400.00
                                                  Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                                                  Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                                                  Schiit Modi 3
                                                  Marantz CD5005
                                                  Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
                                                  😀
                                                  😂
                                                  🥰
                                                  😘
                                                  🤢
                                                  😎
                                                  😞
                                                  😡
                                                  👍
                                                  👎
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"