X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jayrobinson
    • Jan 2007

New RC-1070 & RB-1080 user VERY HAPPY

I just bought a Rotel RC-1070, RB-1080, RT-1080, and RCD-1072 system a month ago and just wanted to say how happy I am with it and how impressed I am with the sound quality. Everyone here loves the sound it gives out. I wish I would have bought this system over a year ago when I was thinking about it but I had read some where on here when doing some research on the RB-1080 that DrRapp (Jerry) had mentioned in brief that the RB-1080 got so warm/hot that you could use it as winter heaters! That really turned me off to wanting the amp after reading that. I do not like amps that run real warm or hot.

Well, I was wrong without trying it first. I was at the Rotel dealer and he said it had been on all day and I put my hand on it and it was cool running, barely even warm to the touch. He convinced me it does not run too warm or hot so I took the Rotel system home and sure enough, it never gets too warm or hot. It mostly runs cool and other times barely even warm to the touch! I'm very pleased with this system and love the sound the Rotel's give out. I couldn't be happier with the performance!!! Not sure why DrRapp's RB-1080 runs hot but maybe it's an older model that did that? Or does it get that hot in Florida where I see he is from that can cause this? Not sure but just wanted to let others that was turned off by the too warm/hot amps that the RB-1080 isn't for me. I'm very happy to be a Rotel member now! :P
  • ejuanpiman
    • Nov 2006

every amp runs hot if pushed hard, if you run it at low levels it will het mild, but once pushed hard or on high volumes they tend to get hot nothing to worry about though, from what i read they have system to shut it off when the temperature exceeds normal operating temps, i run mine at low volumes when not pushing hard and it runs very little warm, but when pushed hard it gets hot...

Comment

• jayrobinson
      • Jan 2007

I've run it very hard around the 10 0'clock and 12 max and it puts huge hard sound out, anymore than that and I think the neighbors will kill me. It still doesn't run hot or too warm, I'm just glad it doesn't. My speakers are kinda hard to drive too!

Comment

• Ted
        • May 2006

Jay,

Congrats on the system! I've got the same set up (minus the RT-1080) and love it too! Wecome to the forum!
        Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• DL86
          • Sep 2005

my rb-1080 runs smoking hot. It is powering my surrounds which probably arent a heavy load, but even when it is not playing anything the thing is very hot especially in summer.

Comment

• peterS
            Super Senior Member
            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by jayrobinson

I just bought a Rotel RC-1070, RB-1080, RT-1080, and RCD-1072 system a month ago and just wanted to say how happy I am with it and how impressed I am with the sound quality. Everyone here loves the sound it gives out. I wish I would have bought this system over a year ago when I was thinking about it but I had read some where on here when doing some research on the RB-1080 that DrRapp (Jerry) had mentioned in brief that the RB-1080 got so warm/hot that you could use it as winter heaters! That really turned me off to wanting the amp after reading that. I do not like amps that run real warm or hot.

Well, I was wrong without trying it first. I was at the Rotel dealer and he said it had been on all day and I put my hand on it and it was cool running, barely even warm to the touch. He convinced me it does not run too warm or hot so I took the Rotel system home and sure enough, it never gets too warm or hot. It mostly runs cool and other times barely even warm to the touch! I'm very pleased with this system and love the sound the Rotel's give out. I couldn't be happier with the performance!!! Not sure why DrRapp's RB-1080 runs hot but maybe it's an older model that did that? Or does it get that hot in Florida where I see he is from that can cause this? Not sure but just wanted to let others that was turned off by the too warm/hot amps that the RB-1080 isn't for me. I'm very happy to be a Rotel member now! :P

i believe he has ML summits- that would explain it

what speakers?

Comment

• Ferres
              • Jan 2007

Before I moved to Rotels, I bought three old 2nd hand parasound HCA-1200II to set up my ht. I found it odd that one of the three was running far warmer/hotter compared to the other two. The other two were only mildly warm by comparison.

Regardless where I place it, that one unit was always warmer.

Comment

• bigburner
                Super Senior Member
                • May 2005

Jay, I'm glad you're enjoying your new system. I have a similar set-up and I think it's just great. My RB-1080 gets quite warm when I drive it hard. I have a small mains powered fan mounted behind it for the occasions when I drive it very hard. I've only driven it once to its protection cut-out point. That was New Years Day 13 months ago watching the Cream reunion DVD at obscene volume in an inebriated state. The amp was really hot that day! Other than that I've treated it well and received excellent performance in return.

Nigel.

Comment

• titan7
                  • Dec 2005

Enjoy the system, you did well. That's exactly what I purchases a year ago and everytime I turn it on I say "man does that sound awesome!!". My Rb-1080 never gets hot but I don't turn the volume up above the 9 o'clock position, it just gets too loud for me. You will always appreciate the quality of this system!

Comment

• Nick M
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

I also have that exact setup minus the tuner (not much of a radio guy when I have CD's around). It is certainly an excellent bang for the buck!

My RB-1080 gets warm after long listening sessions at moderate volumes, but nothing that is "hot". If I hold my hands over one of the side vents where the heat sinks are located inside, I can feel a little radiant warmth, but it's nothing that I have to quickly withdraw my hand from.

I'm powering a pair of Paradigm Signature S4's in a 18'x11' room. I usually listen from 7-8' away, or crank it up and listen from the kitchen (next room over).

Congrats!

Here is an odd-angle shot of mine...

~Nick

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

There's no way I could have my system stacked the way that Nick has his. My RC-1070 would cook. I have about 4 inches of space above my RB-1080. Therefore the heat output must vary from one amp to another.

Comment

• Nick M
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Nov 2004

I usually don't drive my large bookshelevs very hard (S4's are fairly sensitive too). I also don't have 'em in an enclosure, and being from New England my apartment is usually comfortable around 60-65ºF. In addition, I almost always keep the air circulating in my apartment with a small 9" fan in one corner (I can't stand stagnant "indoor air").

There are a lot of variables to consider I guess.
                        ~Nick

Comment

• mike c
                          • Dec 2005

hey nick, are you using the 12v triggers on your 1080?
                          so after using your 1080 for awhile, have you tried touching the top portion of the case (instead of the side heatsinks)?

Comment

• Nick M
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

No, I don't use the 12v triggers.

What I meant was that I touch the top of the case above the actual functioning internal heat sinks. It definetly gets warm, but I wouldn't say hot. I can hold my hand against the case as long as I want in otherwords.

Great gear for the dough fer' sure.
                            ~Nick

Comment

• mike c
                              • Dec 2005

thanks nick!

Comment

• jayrobinson
                                • Jan 2007

Wow, Gee - Thanks guys! I didn't expect so many replies! I hadn't thought about how well vented some give their amps, can't believe I didn't think about that, how dumb do I feel now! That could very well explain why some get very warm/hot. I guess I should have said how I had mine. I have my RB-1080 on the very bottom self of a glass & metal rack by itself so it has 12 1/2 inches of clear space to breath from top and is open all around it. The dealer told me to never put anything on the amp top that the vents need to have plenty open air. When I'm not using the amp, I keep it covered to keep dust from getting in it when it's powered off. I did forget to take the cover off one time for about an hour and I was so mad at myself for not remembering to take it off and it was very warm so I turned it off to let it cool down. I have to say tho, Nicholas Mosher picture of his stacked Rotel's look very attractive that way!

My speakers are Wharfedale Opus 2 (B&W Clones) 87dB and 6 Ohms. They sound good and look very nice. I got them online about a year or more ago for a good price at audioadvisor.com that I just came across after hearing them locally at the audio store that wanted double the price but said they would not match any online prices, so I got it online, but my friend just bought the new Klipsch Cornwall 3 speakers that have some kind of new metal to make them sound more better, so
                                he gave me his older Cornwall to try if I want to buy them from him. The Klipsch cornwall sounds very good but bigger. I hear more space and music and detail with them and they go good with the Rotel too. I think I am going to keep them with the big real sound they give off, and with the Klipsch I only have to put it about 9'o clock to be way too loud, the Wharfedale gets about to the 11 to 12 o'clock to get real loud but doesn't fill the room as big and real as the Klipsch. The Klipsch Cornwall isn't as pretty as the Wharfedale Opus so it will be trade off for the big sound for looks. Thank you for all the welcomes and congrats too! I'm still enjoying my Rotel very much, I still can't believe how good it sounds! The sound is better than anything I've had before it. Thank you everyone!

Comment

• lonergan2468
                                  • Nov 2006

I am using a Rotel MICHI RHB 10 AMP and RHC 10 Pre, and I got aCD 1070 on E Bay UK. It sounds really very good and in fact better than the Shanling T100.

Comment

• cfrahme52
                                    • Aug 2005

I've owned the RC 1090 / RB1080 / RCD 1072 for several years now.
                                    My amp has had the fuse mod done by Rotel.
                                    It also runs quite warm, especially the right channel.
                                    I was very concerned during the summer with the heat and humidity in the NE.
                                    I've rigged up two stealth-style computer fans to pull cool air through both sides of the amp. These are practically silent-running units from Vantec.
                                    I was worried that I might also introduce some line hum, but no problem.
                                    They are plugged into the switched outlet of the RC 1090.
                                    These fans are an enormous help. The 1080 stays cool all year round.
                                    I don't have a home theater set up. Mine strictly is two-channel.

Comment

• NMG
                                      • Oct 2004

My 1080 will get warm, but nothing close to what I would consider hot. Then again, I don't think I've ever pushed it past 10 o'clock for extended periods. I know it has more to give but that's just too loud for me

Comment

• calmac
                                        • May 2005

Originally posted by NMG
                                        My 1080 will get warm, but nothing close to what I would consider hot. Then again, I don't think I've ever pushed it past 10 o'clock for extended periods. I know it has more to give but that's just too loud for me
                                        I am on to my 3rd 1080.The first one was a very early model and blew fuses continually and was replaced ,I have just sold the second black one and replaced it with one of the latest silver units with the bi-wire speaker terminals.
                                        All 3 ran pretty warm driving my Tannoy dual concentrics.After a hard nights listening to music the top of the amp is hot to the touch.The amp is installed in an open frame rack.
                                        Gordon

Comment

• Ferres
                                          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by calmac
                                          I am on to my 3rd 1080.The first one was a very early model and blew fuses continually and was replaced ,I have just sold the second black one and replaced it with one of the latest silver units with the bi-wire speaker terminals.
                                          All 3 ran pretty warm driving my Tannoy dual concentrics.After a hard nights listening to music the top of the amp is hot to the touch.The amp is installed in an open frame rack.
                                          Gordon
                                          Do you have the Sensys DC's?

Comment

• tagman
                                            • Jan 2007

I own a 1080, and a 1075 driving 4 ohm dynaudios all around.

Even after long hard listening in 2 channel or 5 channel they barely get warm.

As far as the sound quality I give them an A+ :T

Tommy

Comment

• calmac
                                              • May 2005

Originally posted by Ferres
                                              Do you have the Sensys DC's?
                                              No , I have the earlier Saturn S8'S, which are larger and to my ears sound a good deal better.The Sensys DC's are still a nice sounding speaker though.
                                              Gordon

Comment

• Ferres
                                                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by calmac
                                                No , I have the earlier Saturn S8'S, which are larger and to my ears sound a good deal better.The Sensys DC's are still a nice sounding speaker though.
                                                Gordon
                                                I only got the Sensys DC set which I use for both HT and Music. Neither the Saturn's nor the Eyris DC's were available.

But the Sensys still sounded pretty good for my small place. Very revealing. :T

Tannoy needs more global distributors. :B

Comment

• calmac
                                                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Ferres
                                                  I only got the Sensys DC set which I use for both HT and Music. Neither the Saturn's nor the Eyris DC's were available.

But the Sensys still sounded pretty good for my small place. Very revealing. :T

Tannoy needs more global distributors. :B
                                                  Hi Ferres .The Sensys DC range replaced the Saturn range ,so that explains the lack of Satrun availability.Don't get me wrong I like the Sensys and was able to compare them directly to the Saturn S8's when a friend bought the last pair of S8's here in Perth .A lot of my friends have the Sensys range which I recommended they listen to.
                                                  Yes ,Tannoy do need better distribution!!!.
                                                  Gordon

Comment

• mpeak
                                                    • Jan 2005

My RB-1080 runs fairly cool most all times but my speakers range from 98dB to 104dB efficient/sensitive.

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"