X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mitzipurr
    • Feb 2005

Rsp 1068 Hum

Hi Folks

I am devastated my beloved RSP1068 which has up to now worked perfectly has developed a intermittent hum. Even with both power amps turned off you can still hear it anybody any ideas please??? :cry:
  • ejuanpiman
    • Nov 2006

sounds like a ground loop, look for a screw in the back of the chassis and ground it to something with a wire, good source is the screw in the middle of an outlet

Comment

• mitzipurr
      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ejuanpiman
      sounds like a ground loop, look for a screw in the back of the chassis and ground it to something with a wire, good source is the screw in the middle of an outlet

Many thanks for that. I am not sure what you mean by outlet. Do you mean the center screw in a electric socket. If its any help I live in Spain and the voltage is 220v.

I am also puzzled why its only just started. That is why I thought of a fault on the processor first? .

Many thanks

Comment

• ejuanpiman
        • Nov 2006

well yea, the electric socket, what i mean by the middle screw is atleast in the united states its a common ground, thats what i did, if you look at the electric socket faceplate it is attached to the wall by a screw in the middle, wich holds it against the wall, i attactched a 16 gauge wire to it and it works fine now.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Isthe 1068 itself humming, or humming through the speakers?

Kevin D.

Comment

• mitzipurr
            • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Isthe 1068 itself humming, or humming through the speakers?

Kevin D.

Hi Kevin its humming through the speakers but if you turn the amps off its still there. Even if you turn the volume to 1 you can still hear it as loud but if you turn the volume to zero no hum. I have disconnected both subwoofer leads from processor, unpluged optical lead from satellite reciever but no difference. The speakers are Def tech BP2002 with powered subwoofers. The amps are RB985mk2 and RB993 if this helps.

Thanks for any help

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Still there when you unplug power from the speakers (built in sub amps)?

Kevin D.
              Last edited by Kevin D; 27 January 2007, 22:27 Saturday.

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                • Nov 2006

yea id follow kevins remark, i had something similar only it would go away when i would turn on the amp, sounds like a ground loop

Comment

• mitzipurr
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                  Still there when you unplug power from the speakers (built in sub amps)?

Kevin D.

Yes even with no power from the built in sub amps just the same.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                    • Feb 2005

yea id follow kevins remark, i had something similar only it would go away when i would turn on the amp, sounds like a ground loop

Ejuanpiman I have followed your advice and attached a wire to the back of the processor but just left the other end on the ceramic tiled floor and fingers crossed no hum for the last two hours. It could just be a coincidence (hope not) because it is something that comes and goes.

Many thanks

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                      • Nov 2006

mitzipurr i dont know how well the ground is just by leaving it on the floor, i would suggest youd try with a well ground just an observation..., have you done any current change to your setup before this started?

Comment

• mitzipurr
                        • Feb 2005

mitzipurr i dont know how well the ground is just by leaving it on the floor, i would suggest youd try with a well ground just an observation..., have you done any current change to your setup before this started?

No have not changed anything its wierd have not heard it all tonight since doing the wire thing like you suggest. I will try tomorrow and find a better earth. Forget to mention that everything is plugged into a Rotel RLC1050 power distributer which in over two years has never give me a problem.

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                          • Nov 2006

if it works then great you found your problem...

Comment

• mitzipurr
                            • Feb 2005

if it works then great you found your problem...
                            Hi second nights viewing with no hum so fingers crossed its cured . Will keep you posted.

Many thanks

Comment

• mitzipurr
                              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by mitzipurr
                              Hi second nights viewing with no hum so fingers crossed its cured . Will keep you posted.

Many thanks

Just to let everbody know still no hum :T

Many thanks

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                                • Nov 2006

no problem, make sure you grounded it well with a good cable and a good ground.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                  • Aug 2004

Mitz, what kind of cable did you use to ground with and to what screw? Just curious.

Comment

• Club1820
                                    • Jan 2006

But its not actually grounded, right? Isnt the other end just hanging there on the floor?
                                    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                                      • Nov 2006

yea it is, i mean your supposed to look at the outlet, and on the outlet on your wall theyre is a screw in the middle in between both outputs that holds the faceplate to the wall, that screw is comon ground, so you attach a 16 awg wire from the screw on the outlet to a screw on the chassis of your reciever, processor, tunner whatever is the problem to eliminate the ground loop.

Comment

• Club1820
                                        • Jan 2006

yea it is, i mean your supposed to look at the outlet, and on the outlet on your wall theyre is a screw in the middle in between both outputs that holds the faceplate to the wall, that screw is comon ground, so you attach a 16 awg wire from the screw on the outlet to a screw on the chassis of your reciever, processor, tunner whatever is the problem to eliminate the ground loop.
                                        Not so sure - see below. Unless he changed something and didnt post. ?

Originally posted by mitzipurr
                                        Ejuanpiman I have followed your advice and attached a wire to the back of the processor but just left the other end on the ceramic tiled floor and fingers crossed no hum for the last two hours. It could just be a coincidence (hope not) because it is something that comes and goes.
                                        Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                                          • Nov 2006

im assuming he did attach it to something, and i hope he just doesnt have it hanging on the floor...

Comment

• Elvis
                                            • Jan 2005

Man.....I'm confused.You turn off the amp and the 1068 hums through speakers,then hook a wire to the back of the 1068 and lay it on the floor and no hum.All's I can say is "very interesting".

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                                              • Nov 2006

yea and guess what!, you attach a wire to the positive and negative outputs of your amplifier turn it on, and music comes out of these round things called speakers wow !, no thats "very intresting"

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                                • Feb 2005

Originally posted by ekkoville
                                                Mitz, what kind of cable did you use to ground with and to what screw? Just curious.

Sorry for no follow up folks. Since doing the mod with the wire zero hum. Coud be just coincidence?

ekkoville took a screw at the back of the cover. Used 5 amp mains wire bared a end and twisted it in a loop pushed the screw through the loop screwed the screw back into the chassis cover then bared the other end and left it trailing on the floor where it still is! I live in Spain and we have ceramic tiled floors. Could to do with it working?

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Club1820
                                                  But its not actually grounded, right? Isnt the other end just hanging there on the floor?

Yes but the strange thing it is working.

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                                    • Feb 2005

ejuanpiman given the state of wiring in most Spanish houses I would be very reluctant to go anywhere near connecting a expensive processor by such a method. I

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                                      • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Club1820
                                                      Not so sure - see below. Unless he changed something and didnt post. ?

Nothing changed and still no hum!

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                                        • Feb 2005

im assuming he did attach it to something, and i hope he just doesnt have it hanging on the floor...

No still on the floor

Comment

• mitzipurr
                                                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Elvis
                                                          Man.....I'm confused.You turn off the amp and the 1068 hums through speakers,then hook a wire to the back of the 1068 and lay it on the floor and no hum.All's I can say is "very interesting".

I am also totally confused but now its has quet as a mouse weird :E

Comment

Working...
                                                          😀
                                                          😂
                                                          🥰
                                                          😘
                                                          🤢
                                                          😎
                                                          😞
                                                          😡
                                                          👍
                                                          👎
                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                          Search Result for "|||"