X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • asacam
    • Mar 2003

Hdmi

I own a RSX-1055. How important is it to have HDMI inputs ont he back of the receiver for switching throughput from HD cable box to HD flat panel?
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

It's only important if you have multiple hdmi sources you want to switch between (e.g., dvd and cable box). Otherwise, just run it directly to your tv.
    Brad

Comment

• Ted
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Blindamood
      It's only important if you have multiple hdmi sources you want to switch between (e.g., dvd and cable box). Otherwise, just run it directly to your tv.
      I don't have HDMI, but I've often wondered, if you run the HDMI cable which carries both audio and video directly to your TV, will the source (such as a DVD player) still have output through say a coax so you can run the sound to your receiver or PRE/PRO? I would assume so, but am not sure.

Thanks.
      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Yes, the regular digital outputs will still be active.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shades
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Ted
          I don't have HDMI, but I've often wondered, if you run the HDMI cable which carries both audio and video directly to your TV, will the source (such as a DVD player) still have output through say a coax so you can run the sound to your receiver or PRE/PRO? I would assume so, but am not sure.

Thanks.
          Yes you can. I have the HDMI cable going to the plasma and the coax going to my 1056. I just disable the sound in the plasma menu.
          B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• Ted
            • May 2006

Kevin D and Shades,

Thanks, I've just always wondered that!
            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• thyname
              • Jan 2005

I was wondering if RSX-1057 does process the video through its HDMI input, or simply is used as a functional, pass-through device (for video) to create the possibility of using multiple HD devices through a single HDMI input on the TV panel. Is that the case? I mean, would the HD signal from my PS3 blu-ray go un-processed through a 1057 to a 1080p tv? This would be very useful if the TV is mounted on wall, so that a single HDMI cable is run inside wall from the receiver to the TV.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Yes, the 1057 is has an HDMI switch only. It's full passthrough.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Tha Freak
                  • Jul 2003

Originally posted by asacam
                  I own a RSX-1055.
                  Nice machine :B

all I had to say !! :lol:

seriously, that's a good news cos I had the same worries!!
                  - - - - - - - - - -

"Are you gonna bark all day little doggy?...or are you gonna bite?

Comment

• thyname
                    • Jan 2005

Thank you Kevin, your help is always appreciated. I have two "observations", and pardon me if they sound too naive:

1 - Even though 1057 is only passthrough, doesn't video quality diminishes from going through the receiver prior to reaching the display?

2 - Can't we just use external HDMI switches with existing non-HDMI receivers, or are the results not as good?

Could you please recommend an online source I can read stuff on HDMI, since a google search turns out many confusing, and probably not so accurate materials?

Comment

• Nolan B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by thyname
                      Thank you Kevin, your help is always appreciated. I have two "observations", and pardon me if they sound too naive:

1 - Even though 1057 is only passthrough, doesn't video quality diminishes from going through the receiver prior to reaching the display?

2 - Can't we just use external HDMI switches with existing non-HDMI receivers, or are the results not as good?

Could you please recommend an online source I can read stuff on HDMI, since a google search turns out many confusing, and probably not so accurate materials?
                      I would say that digital signals wont diminish. Personally I use a DVDO HDMI switcher, but only for ease of use.

I have heard that you want to keep video as far away as possible from audio in a processor, but wont if that different when it comes to digital.

Comment

• Kevin D
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Oct 2002

Ditto what Vancouver said. An external switcher has more options, but another remote.

For HDMI info, I would start at the source: http://www.hdmi.org/

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"