X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrNic
    • Jan 2007

I'm In!

.... I hope!

Been reading you all for some time, and just last night brought home my RMB-1075 and RSP-1068, thanks in part to input I read here. Thank you.

I'm replacing an ancient Pioneer SX-680 receiver, which, surprisingly, has (and still does) put out a pretty nice sound.

So, for the money I've just spent, I'm expecting a breathtakingly better sound.

Last night, I spent the evening just getting things set up, and haven't had a lot of time to do comparison listening.

My comparison (and decision on whether to keep the combo) will be primarily using 2 channel inputs. This is for two reasons:
    1) I am very interested in improving my 2 channel stereo listening experience, and
    2) I don't yet have surround speakers to do 5.1 listening. My plan is to upgrade this area later.

So... my questions to the experts:

1) am I being unrealistic to expect a "breathtakingly better" output from this setup than I was seeing with my old pioneer gear?
    2) What is the best way to process 2 channel CD sound through the preamp?

Thanks everyone. Looking forward to getting settled in with the new gear

-MrNic
    Last edited by MrNic; 25 January 2007, 19:26 Thursday. Reason: sent too soon :-(
  • mrohde
    • Jan 2007

Welcome, I'm not a Rotel guy (there are many here though) however, I think it is safe to say that your Rotel seperates are going to kick the **** out of your old Pioneer. I just looked at one on Ebay no sweat you WILL be amazed. Of course the other factor are your speakers which you have not mentioned.

I would think that you processor has a two channel mode maybe with pass thru. I'm sure the Rotel guys can give detailed info on that.

Congrats on the new gear and be sure to post here, with impressions after you have listened to the new gear.

Comment

• flyboylr45
      • Jan 2007

Hey congratulations!!! :B

I have the same combo and it was replacing a Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated amp. I wanted something multi-channel but with the sound quality of the Musical Fidelity. This is it. There is no comparison to you old receiver, or even most receivers for that matter!!

Enjoy

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Best two channel sound is either going to be the Front multi-channel inputs or just the analog CD input set to BYPASS (hit the stereo button until you see BYPASS show up).

Kevin D.

Comment

• MrNic
          • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Best two channel sound is either going to be the Front multi-channel inputs or just the analog CD input set to BYPASS (hit the stereo button until you see BYPASS show up).

Kevin D.
          Thanks Kevin & mrohde.
          After some reading, I suspected that the analog inputs in bypass mode might be the best option for two channel CD sources. (I still haven't had a chance to do extensive auditioning yet, but that will come this weekend.)

The other option I had though might be good was the optical link in stereo PCM mode. Am I correct assuming that in this mode, the uncompressed digital feed from the CD player is passed to the 1068, and the 1068's DAC's would do the Digital to Analog conversion instead of the player? In this case, if the Rotel's DAC's were superior to the one on my player (a two year old Pioneer DV-578A - no HDMI outputs) wouldn't I, in theory, get superior sound?

...or am I all wet on this?

Comment

• MrNic
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by flyboylr45
            Hey congratulations!!! :B

...There is no comparison to you old receiver, or even most receivers for that matter!!

Enjoy
            Thanks Flyboy. This is certainly my expectation.

Honestly, though, right out of the box (just plugging it in and turning it on), that's not what I heard. I have not had any time to get things changed up from factory defaults, so I'm thinking (hoping) that I've just got a few tweaks to make to get it sounding right.

I was even surpised that I had to turn the volume up so high to get to a reasonable listening level.... (55 to 60 out of 95 max). At first, I'm thinking "there must be something wrong... doesn't this 1075 put out 120 watts per?" It's quite a different experience compared to that small old analog knob that only goes 3/4 of a turn to max!

Comment

• Ferres
              • Jan 2007

Just a new guys opinion here... ops:

Not sure if their at all similar but my rmb-1077 needed a few days of break in to bring out some volume as well as bass.

The 1068 may need some break in time as well.

Comment

• MrNic
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Ferres
                Just a new guys opinion here... ops:

Not sure if their at all similar but my rmb-1077 needed a few days of break in to bring out some volume as well as bass.

The 1068 may need some break in time as well.
                Ferres,
                Thanks for the comment.

I've heard/read about this notion of 'break-in' before, though I have to admit I don't fully understand it. Is there anything special I should be doing with my equipment in order to achieve this other than just listening?

So far, I've spent one evening just unboxing everything and getting it hooked up and working. That was two days ago. Since then, everything has been just sitting quietly waiting for me to have time to settle in and listen! I'm *really* looking forward to that!!

Comment

• jayhawk75
                  • Apr 2006

volume setting is normal.. you will also find that running video through will probably be higher. there are several threads on what seems to be a high setting but it is just a number nothing else.

Comment

• Ferres
                    • Jan 2007

Originally posted by MrNic
                    I've heard/read about this notion of 'break-in' before, though I have to admit I don't fully understand it. Is there anything special I should be doing with my equipment in order to achieve this other than just listening?
                    Didn't think much of the break-in thing until I got the 1077. First on, the volume was weak and the bass was almost none existent but as days went by the volume came up and bass punched in. :T

I don't think you have any other option than to use them everyday until they do break in. You could up the db to +10 in the 'test tone' menu.
                    Last edited by Ferres; 28 January 2007, 07:21 Sunday.

Comment

• MrNic
                      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Ferres
                      Didn't think much of the break-in thing until I got the 1077. First on, the volume was weak and the bass was almost none existent but as days went by the volume came up and bass punched in. :T
                      Ferres,
                      This seems to be my experience as well. I'm not sure whether something actually happened to the gear, I got it set up better (finding the 'bypass' mode for playing CD's was a huge help), or I just got more used to the sound. Whichever the reason, I'm finding myself liking the sound more and more.

The downside... I'm getting less sleep. I find myself exploring my CD collection late at night after the rest of the family has gone to bed!

-m

Comment

• Ferres
                        • Jan 2007

Listening to music is one of those rare pleasures you can indulge in while working on something else. :B

I don't know if it's the same with the rmb 1075, but I recently noticed that with the rmb 1077, it seems to be warmer in stereo/bypass mode.

Comment

• RoMan
                          • Jan 2007

I here you Mr. Nic. I too have been having a lot of late nights just sitting up and listening to my classic rock cd collection on direct mode again. Dont want to go to bed sometimes but I have to get up and turn off the system... But I always tell myself there is tomorrow too.\

Please keep posting about your experiences with this preamp. I too may look at getting this preamp sometime in the future. Congrats on your gear Mr. Nic.
                          Keep on rocking in the Rotel world!!

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

For whoever says the sound doesn't change on components that are new, is full of it. As the components heat up and cool down, things change...the sounds changes. I was the same way with my 1095/1080 and 1098 combo, at first I didn't think the sound was all that great. It sounded weak. But I decided to give it time. After about a week or two of use, the sound really opened up and became much much different. So it was definitely worth letting it all "burn in" and giving it some time before you do some critical listening.

I will imagine that you should really like the imaging of the new system. I noticed that didn't change a whole lot and definitely the clarity should be there for you.

Basically..., enjoy!!!
                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                            -Dan

Comment

• sirbogey
                              • Mar 2006

Kevin D.
                              Kevin, can you elaborate on the "front multi-channel inputs"? I got my 5.1 speakers mostly set up for DVDs: RDV-1060 through RSP1098. If I want to get the best out of 2 channel music, how would I make use of the multi channel inputs? Normally I just hit the stereo button..

Comment

• voxy
                                • Jan 2005

Try using bypass from your 1068. Normally it will sound weak at first compare to Stereo. Play it overtime and the sound will open up with better details etc. What he meant is to press stereo button till you see bypass.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by sirbogey
                                  Kevin, can you elaborate on the "front multi-channel inputs"? I got my 5.1 speakers mostly set up for DVDs: RDV-1060 through RSP1098. If I want to get the best out of 2 channel music, how would I make use of the multi channel inputs? Normally I just hit the stereo button..
                                  Run 6 RCA cables from the output of the 1060 to the multi-channel inputs of the 1068. This gives you support for DVDA discs, plus when you play a CD in the 1060 it's going to a pure stereo signal only, when you select the multi-ins.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
                                    • Jan 2006

Kevin, so does this mean you dont also have to have stereo analog connections from the 1060 to 1068 to listen to a CD in stereo (Same as Bypass)? Just as long as you have the multi connections hooked up?

Thanks
                                    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Kevin D
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

Correct. The multi-outs of the 1060 are only going to send out whats available. There's only 2ch available on a CD, so only 2ch goes out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• calmac
                                        • May 2005

Correct. The multi-outs of the 1060 are only going to send out whats available. There's only 2ch available on a CD, so only 2ch goes out.

Kevin D.
                                        I have just sold my 1072 and got one of the Opera Audio Consonance CD120 24/192 CD players.First off , to my ears the new cd player trounces the 1072 and costs slightly less here in Australia but what I really wanted to mention was the sound quality difference between the cd and multichannel inputs on the 1066.I had read the comments on the multi inputs offering better quality for cd replay however after extensive listening I ended up preferring the standard cd input.The sound through the multi input was a significant downgrade sounding flat and lifeless and lacking fine detail and tonal colour compared to the cd input.
                                        My sub is in use when using the cd input but it is one that works well for music replay and I have invested a great deal of time and energy getting it properly integrated with the Tannoy dual concentric mains.I don't feel that the difference in sound quality is just down to the sub but haven't gotten round to switching the sub off and comparing the two inputs yet.
                                        Gordon

Comment

• sirbogey
                                          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by voxy
                                          Try using bypass from your 1068. Normally it will sound weak at first compare to Stereo. Play it overtime and the sound will open up with better details etc. What he meant is to press stereo button till you see bypass.
                                          I've been heavily toggling that button last night... But I guess I need to get some decent analog cables first :T

Comment

• sirbogey
                                            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by calmac
                                            I have just sold my 1072 and got one of the Opera Audio Consonance CD120 24/192 CD players.First off , to my ears the new cd player trounces the 1072 and costs slightly less here in Australia but what I really wanted to mention was the sound quality difference between the cd and multichannel inputs on the 1066.I had read the comments on the multi inputs offering better quality for cd replay however after extensive listening I ended up preferring the standard cd input.The sound through the multi input was a significant downgrade sounding flat and lifeless and lacking fine detail and tonal colour compared to the cd input.
                                            My sub is in use when using the cd input but it is one that works well for music replay and I have invested a great deal of time and energy getting it properly integrated with the Tannoy dual concentric mains.I don't feel that the difference in sound quality is just down to the sub but haven't gotten round to switching the sub off and comparing the two inputs yet.
                                            Gordon
                                            Interesting. To me it's also a question of spending too much money on cables. Another 6 decent RCA cables... I can't justify that purchase, since I don't even own one single DVD-A..

Comment

• Ferres
                                              • Jan 2007

I tried the normal stereo setting for a while then I went back to bypass. Bypass mode sounds more natural to me. Stereo mode seems to add a little bit of harshness to the performer's voice.

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"