X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bang for Buck
    • Jan 2007

Bass, but no punch with rb 1090 ?

Hello, I'm new.
    Been watching this site along time, finally registered.

For 6 months i swapped my Musical Fidelity gear for Rotel.
    (MF cdpre 24 - MF A3.2 cr) to Rotel rc 1070 - rb 1090.

Thought my system was broken, strange bass. So swap with
    the heavy rb 1090 and it should be gone.

Damn no, stil it doesn't sound right and also got a annoiing buzz
    through the speakers.

What is the problem: It seems like the bass is playing to quiet in comparison to the mid and highs.

or The frequency off a bass drum is getting disturbed in the signal and therefor comes out of the speakers to quiet.

I really don't know it anymore, i read all on this forum about ground loops and coax cables but I find that the designers of electronics should design it simply that way that it has no problems with these things !

Because i'm not getting the buzz/ humm out i'm curious if that is the reason of my bass problems?

Greetz Saro
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

What affect do you get by using the contour control on the RC-1070? The pre may be your weakest link. Also, what type of ICs are you using?

Comment

• Bang for Buck
      • Jan 2007

When i use the contour by giving more bass(100 hz) the sound gets more bassy. But only the bass lines off a bass player, not the bass - drumms of the drummer. So no punch.
      Also it becomes a bit troubly (like in trouble water!! sorry for my english)

What do you mean by ic's?

Comment

• calmac
        • May 2005

It may just be that you prefer the sound of the MF. The MF equipment is usually considered to be in a higher class sound quality wise than most of the Rotel range although the RB1090 is a great amp.The RC1070 is really not good enough for the poweramp and would ,I imagine, lack detail and musical impact by comparison the the MF.I would suggest replacing the 1070 pre amp with one of MF's to restore some of the music you are missing.
        IC = interconnect , or the cables carrying the audio signal between your electronic components.
        Gordon

Comment

• Bang for Buck
          • Jan 2007

I swapped the expensive MF equipment because off this same sonic problem.
          It all became shit after i moved. Got the feeling it has something to do with filthy current or no good grounding.
          Why such a buzz and humm even when only the speakercables are connected to the rb 1090?

My interconnects are Qed qunix 2

Comment

• DL86
            • Sep 2005

try connecting a single cable to the case of the rb-1090 and attaching it to a peice of metal or another component. I had the same problem as you about the buzzing/humming and this solved my problem. Strangely enough I am not getting the buzz with out a cable connected now. Not sure about the bass problem, I get plenty of punch out of my set up, not true sub bass but i'm happy with the bass capability.

Comment

• gd
              • Jan 2003

Originally posted by Bang for Buck
              It all became shit after i moved.
              We don't know what kind of speakers you have... the combination of speakers (that you enjoyed elsewhere) and a new room will definitely influence perceived bass performance.

The hum and buzz is likely a separate problem, and you might indeed have local power issues... cable TV signals are known to create such problems as well (search this forum for "ground loop")... you might have to resolve this with someone who is knowledgeable about power delivery in Europe.

Good luck.
              greg (gd to you)
              Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
              production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Bang for Buck
                • Jan 2007

Thanks so far!

There is also another strange thing i forgot to mention:

I'v had it twice now in the past 4 months that spontanious when i came home and the set was already playing, that it had the power and punch again !!
                Without doing nothing !!!
                Ofcoourse i enjoyed it for that evening but next morning when turning on the set, ofcourse .... all the same again for weeks.....

When it is luckily sounding good i can also recognize it because i do not have to play so hard to get disco (volume at 25-30 %)
                When normally when its shit, i always have to go with the volume to 50 % to reach the same loudness !!(ofcourse with bad bass, no punchpower)

Comment

• DL86
                  • Sep 2005

That is very strange. Try testing a different set of RCA cables and make sure everything is connected properly. I had a faulty set of rca cables and had to resolder them which before resulted in humming and buzzing.

Comment

• calmac
                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Bang for Buck
                    Thanks so far!

There is also another strange thing i forgot to mention:

I'v had it twice now in the past 4 months that spontanious when i came home and the set was already playing, that it had the power and punch again !!
                    Without doing nothing !!!
                    Ofcoourse i enjoyed it for that evening but next morning when turning on the set, ofcourse .... all the same again for weeks.....

When it is luckily sounding good i can also recognize it because i do not have to play so hard to get disco (volume at 25-30 %)
                    When normally when its shit, i always have to go with the volume to 50 % to reach the same loudness !!(ofcourse with bad bass, no punchpower)
                    Just a quick thought , the 1080 and I think the 1090 have both balanced and normal rca inputs , if you connect to the rca inputs and have the selector switch set to balanced input there is still sound but impact or punch is much reduced and you need to turn the volume level up to get any sort of punch.
                    So check you have the input selector switch on the back of the amp in the unbalanced position.
                    Gordon

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

It could be the room since you were fine with your system since you moved. You could be sitting in a null spot.
                      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• ghostbuster
                        • May 2003

i also had a feeling that the bass of the rb-1090 was a bit too thin. I changed my rotel for 2 Vincent monoblocks....this was what i need !!!

Although i think the rb-1090 is a really good amp. It's more a matter of taste.

Comment

• gianni
                          • Nov 2002

I would say that 90% of the time, poor base performance is a room/speaker/listener positioning and setup problem rather than a problem of amplifier bass performance. Even Rotel's more modest amps can provide very good base in a properly setup system and room. Amps play a minor role in bass performance compared to room/speaker interaction.

Comment

• ghostbuster
                            • May 2003

Originally posted by gianni
                            I would say that 90% of the time, poor base performance is a room/speaker/listener positioning and setup problem rather than a problem of amplifier bass performance. Even Rotel's more modest amps can provide very good base in a properly setup system and room. Amps play a minor role in bass performance compared to room/speaker interaction.
                            Hmmm...i admit that the listening room is important. But there are also big differences in bass performance between amps. I have Vincent monoblocks and never experienced this power and tight basses with my RB-1090. Don't get me wrong it's a great amp. in it's league.

Comment

• jayrobinson
                              • Jan 2007

I have a RB-1080 and it has plenty of bass for me, you having the larger amp it has to have it but it might be something where you live. I say this because I brought my RB-1080 and RC-1070 over to my friend's house because he wanted to hear what the Rotel would sound like with his klipsch speakers and we noticed the RB-1080 had a high pitched buzz sound the whole time the amp was at his house, even when it was just plugged in by itself with no speakers or anything, but when I got the amp back home, I was in relief when I heard it wasn't doing it anymore when I got it home. I never have gotten that buzz again so I think it must be something where he lives that is causing it. I hope you find out the problem cause it would bother me too, I didn't like how it was doing it at his house.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"