• Show
Clear All
  • style
    Super Senior Member
    • Feb 2006

New DVD but what?

Hi,

I want to buy a new DVD for my system.
    (Rotel rsp1068-rmb1075-Pioneer507XD-Denon3910-B&Wserie7)

I need a dvd for Home cinema (with my system i see 95% movie and 5%
    event. music dvd audio concert/cd)

i keep the Denon3910 and i buy:
    denon3930
    pioneer dv989avi-s
    Rotel rdv1092 / 1093?? = no sacd but is not my first priority target
    Marantz dv9600
    ???
    ----

i search a dvd the give my the better quality in video/sound with my system
    (i go via dvd to plasma with HDMI or component via Rsp1068)
    --------------

for the calibration of the plasma is really so good a software (ex. dvd essential) to have?? or alternative?

Omar
  • jayhawk75
    • Apr 2006

you would be very happy with 9600. if you get the chance try a a/b with a 7600 at a large savings.

Comment

• voxy
      • Jan 2005

9600 is really good. It betters my RCD1070 sonically by 40% in 2 channel playback. Highly recommended.

Comment

• Vicente
        • May 2004

I tried Marantz 9600 vs Rotel rdv 1092 and IMHO Marantz wins hands down to Rotel in sound but both are very similar in video.

Now, many people is telling me to compare Marantz vs Denon 3930, because they say this last has a superb quality in video.

I'm not able to get both players together to compare them so if any of you has this possibility , pease tell us your conclusions, specially in the sound side, because it seems that in video, this Denon outperforms all the rest.

Regards

Comment

• rick c
          • Aug 2004

why not a toshiba hd player.You already have a good dvda/sacd player.Upconversion on the toshiba via hdmi is superb besides just hd dvd's.

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

As always, I have to throw in my suggestion for the Onkyo DV-SP1000. It has been very highly-rated for both video and audio quality. Plays all formats, including DVD-A and SACD. You can find brand new for around $1400 these days. Highly recommended!
            Attached Files
            Brad

Comment

• Bluespower
              • Sep 2005

I had myself all jazzed to look into the Marantz 7600 until I read that you have to go into the menus to switch between formats (DVD-A, Redbook,etc). I don't have first hand experience so I don't know if that is true. If it is, it would be a RPITA and cause it to be dropped from my short list.

I currently have a Denon 3800 that is wonderful except that it sporatically freezes with some of my discs. Depending on what the repair estimate is, I may find myself looking for a deck as well.

Does that Onkyo require any special steps to play DVD-A/DVD-V/SACD? I have a dedicated CD player so that is not an issue.
              Bluespower

Comment

• Blindamood
                • Sep 2003

No special steps...just pop the disc in and it recognizes it. I seriously doubt that the Marantz works any differently, though.
                Brad

Comment

• Vicente
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by rick c
                  why not a toshiba hd player.You already have a good dvda/sacd player.Upconversion on the toshiba via hdmi is superb besides just hd dvd's.

I have a lot of feedback from users of Toshiba HD DVD players in Spain thru a couple of specialty forums, and everybody says that they are excellent upconverting standard DVD's, but nobody is telling anything about the audio.

Any of you can tell us if the sound of these Toshibas is in pair with, for instance, rcd1072, rdv1060 or rdv1092?.

That would be for me a good notice as I woul go directly to an HD (or BD) player instead of thinking of upgrading to a better standard DVD player.

Comment

• voxy
                    • Jan 2005

Vincente

I will still advise you go for DV9600... it is fast, quiet, reads all disc without problem and most important very good transport which you can use with outboard DAC if you still want its sonic performance up another notched. It also shuts video and display down when you play CD, discrete output... you are paying some quality engineering. Comparing with the Denon 3930, this player is just too slow and sonically it feels "artificial".... the transport is also crap. I was initially very keen on the Denon until I did a comparison on both. I also took time to listen to the Rotel but the Marantz is just a class above the rest. Anyway, I also listen it at a friends place with the Marantz as source comparing it with Wadia in a high end set up (Amati Anni + YBA Passion). The Wadia wins but only by ~10% - 15%.

If the Lexicon flagship RT20 is base on the older DV9500 platform, the sonic performance of the Marantz cannot be doubted... You need to fork out another Euro 2k or more for higher end models like the Arcam DV139, RT20 or Esoteric Dv60s to get similar features and diminishing returns in sonic performance.

Comment

• Iggurk
                      • Jun 2006

Hello!

Why not keep the 3910 and wait for HD?

You won't have a much better picture quality with the devices you listed IMO.

I've seen the 3930 and I wasn't conviced at all to upgrade from my 3910.

Yves

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

dvd

Onkyo DVD i have see, very good player. No comment only in europe =
                        CHF. 6000.-ca = $. 4700.- !!!!!!! in Usa i can have for $. 1400??? :E

Keep the 3910 and waiting the story from HD DVD / Blu Ray ?
                        Sure not bad thinking, 3910 vs. 3930 i think too the different is very little
                        but im sure too that the HD dvd/Blu Ray story is only at the beginn
                        If the pre or reciever are standart with HDMI 1.3, the dvd player HDMI 1.3,
                        and the software too wy waiting long long time (1year minimal!!)
                        -------
                        I like Onkyo. I muss sell my 3910 and dann buy 3930 and evet. the pioneer too. (i dont need a cd player specific - my system is ONLY for movie)

Omar
                        P.S: what do you think from ViaBlue cable?????

Comment

• Vicente
                          • May 2004

Woxy, thanks for yor info. That's one of the inputs I was waiting for. Next one is about the sonic properties of the HD DVD Toshibas, but probably if I have a chance to sell well my rdv1060 I'll get the Marantz.

As I told you my dealer gave me a demonstration Maranzt 9600 vs Rotel rdv1092 and the first one sounded to me much more refined. But hell, I still think is really expensive here in Europe.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"