X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Rotel and MP3

Alright this issue has come up a few times from various people wondering how we go about using the built in MP3 decoding and to be honest until this morning I hadn't got a clear answer for you. It seems that like many manufactuers out there today they are all using the cirrus DSP chips which offer the 7.1 decoding and PLII amoung other goodies. One of the features Cirrus was hyping was the built in MP3 decoding so like any company out there Rotel used this feature as a selling point in their marketing campaign. Unfortunatly it seems its usefulness is rather limited and rotel have backed off hyping it as a feature on their products. Now though my grapevine I have heard of a device that will allow us to use the built in MP3 support with our PC's so its not all doom and gloom just yet...what you need is an interface box that goes between the Rotel and your PC. One such device is sold by HK and goes by the name of the HKdal150. I've uploaded the pdf to my web site so you can download it Here

• greggz
    • Jun 2002

If anyone is interested ...

Here is an online retailer carrying it...

(and apparently Crutchfield carrys it too)

Here is a (worthless) "review" in PC Mag of it...
    PCMag is your complete guide to computers, peripherals and upgrades. We test and review tech products and services, report technology news and trends, and provide shopping advice with price comparisons.

Gregg
    Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

thanks gregg I edited your URL's to make them clickable...you need to add [url] and [/ url] around them to make them work or use the URL button when posting.

Comment

• audunth
        • Sep 2003

Does any MP3 software players exist that can output MP3 undecoded through the sound card's digital out, in the same way e.g. PowerDVD and WinDVD can output undecoded DD/DTS even if the soundcard doesn't have onboard support for these formats?

I know it's possible, just wondering if anyone made such a program..?

Regards,
        Audun
        Regards,
        Audun

Comment

• AlvaroD
          • Oct 2002

There are some reports of successfull MP3 raw output through SPDIF under Linux but none under Windows to my knowledge.

If you find some, please share

Comment

• jack
            • Oct 2003

Hi Guys,

I'd like to be able to route music to my Rotel 1055, which is about 40 feet away from my computer.

I recently learned of the Harmon Kardon DAL 150 USB-to-coaxial digital pc audio adapter on on crutchfield.com. Do you think that the routing audio this way and bypassing the pc audio card will likely be superior (to audio output from a typical pc card)? Otherwise, I could install a new sound card with digital output and run a coaxial line to the 1055.

Since I just ordered a ReplayTV and was Otherwise, I was thinking of setting up a wireless network (802.11g) so that the ReplayTV unit (located near my Rotel 1055) could access my broadband (cable) internet connection for the tv schedule updating. Thus, I was thinking of somehow making the Rotel 1055 a device on the network and streaming audio to it, but I am not sure how stable the data packets would be. Does anyone know if the Rotel 1055's ethernet (computer I/O) jack could be assigned as an input?

Sorry for all the questions. :LOL:

Thanks ,
            jack

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"