X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loun80
    • Jan 2007

Receiver Pre-Out vs. Pre-Amp

Hello everyone! I am wondering if there is much of a sound quality difference if I were to use a Receiver's Pre-Out versus an actual Pre-Amp. The additional features of a Receiver is not significant to me. If there is a difference, how noticable is it?

The two components I am considering are the Rotel RSX-1055 Receiver and the Rotel RC-1070 stereo pre-amp.

What do you guys think?
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Hi loun80, and welcome to HTGuide Forum.

I haven't compared those two devices but I do own the RC-1070 and I'm pretty happy with it (although the new RC-1082 looks pretty appealing!).

If you're interested in vinyl then I can tell you that the RC-1070 has an excellent phono stage.

Nigel.

Comment

• lmib
      • Jul 2004

Hi bigburner,

how do you know how the new pieces look like?
      Are there already any pictures in the web available.

Please send the websites. I'm very curious about the new RSX 1069.

CiaĆ³ lmib
      lmib

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

Originally posted by lmib
        Hi bigburner,

how do you know how the new pieces look like?
        Are there already any pictures in the web available.

Please send the websites. I'm very curious about the new RSX 1069.

CiaĆ³ lmib
        Hi Imib,

I just did a Google search on Rotel RC-1082 until I found a document that included a good sized photograph. The one that I found is a French site at http://www.cinenow.com/fr/news-3216.html

I'm afraid that I don't know anything about an RSX-1069.

Regards,
        Nigel.

Comment

• Nuthed
          • Jan 2007

If you plan on doing any home theater the 1055 gets you where you need to be. Since the RC-1070 is stereo only you won't have HT ability. Other than that the sound quality should be fine. There might be a small improvement with the pre-amp over the recievers pre-outs, but not much. My system consists of a RSX-972 driving surround and center channel speakers, and pre-outs feeding an RB-980BX power amp. It sounds great. I had the 980 previously in a 2 channel set-up, and like having the extra power over the reciever for my main speakers (120 wpc vs 75 wpc). I am actually thinking of trying a biamp configuration with the RSX-972 driving the highs of my Paradigm Monitor 9v5's. If the gain of the amps is the same it should work. I don't believe the additional power of the 980 will be a problem as the bass output of the v5s is a little light anyway, and might benefit from a few more watts than the mid and high frequencies. If it doesn't work I'll go back to the biwire set-up.
          Last edited by Nuthed; 20 January 2007, 12:58 Saturday. Reason: Didn't answer the original question.
          Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
          RB980-BX driving mains
          Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
          Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
          Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
          SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"