X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

Dilema...Need Advice on Rotel

Hi All,

Well i need an interim fix on the electronics side of my system. I had originally planned on upgrading to the next Rotel 1068 successor, however i dont see this happening anytime soon.

For a short term solution i decided to get a Rotel Receiver to hold me out until HDMI 1.3 pans out with Rotel. Well, I have the opportunity to buy a "B-Stock" RSX-1056 for a good price OR an RSX-1057 for an additional $250 CAD more. I just dont know which one to go with. I do not need the HDMI switching on the 1057 as i have all my video go to my external media receiver, but i would be getting a new unit. What is "B-Stock" anyways?

If i had to resell at the end of the year, which one would you think would have the better resell?

BTW, which color would look best with my setup? (Click on my sig to see)

Thanks all,
    Steve
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

A 'B' stock unit can be a refurbished unit, a demo unit, an open box unit; basically any unit that was removed from original box. For $250 more I would go for the 1057.

Comment

• scanido
      • Apr 2006

I'd like to have a new receiver to play with this weekend!

Any more opinions?

Comment

• Ted
        • May 2006

I'd say for $250 more, go with the 1057. It is more up to date and if you plan on selling it down the road, it may be easier to sell since it would be a little more current.

Second (and this is just me though), I tend to go with new equipment, even though there is probably nothing wrong with stuff that's not new.

Oh, I think the silver would go better with your equipment.

Good Luck!!
        Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Most B-stock stuff I've seen from Rotel was absolutely perfect. In the worse case (refurbished), you be be sure it's been thoroughly tested. In resell down the road both units will technically be 'b-stock' so that label will only matter to you. If I wasn't going to use the HDMI portion, I wouldn't pay $250 for it as I don't think it will add that much in resell at the end of the year.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shades
            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
            Most B-stock stuff I've seen from Rotel was absolutely perfect. In the worse case (refurbished), you be be sure it's been thoroughly tested. In resell down the road both units will technically be 'b-stock' so that label will only matter to you. If I wasn't going to use the HDMI portion, I wouldn't pay $250 for it as I don't think it will add that much in resell at the end of the year.

Kevin D.
            I'm with Kevin on this one. The HDMI is only for switching. More often than not, B-stock is just an opened box.
            B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• scanido
              • Apr 2006

Thanks for the suggestions. I think i'm leaning towards the 'B-Stock' now unless i get swayed to the RSX-1057.

What about color? Any thoughts on which would drive a better resell?

What color is the display on the Black units? Is it also that nice blue color?

Thanks,

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

Display color is the same on black and silver models. Personally, I like the black better.

Comment

• satchm0
                  • Jan 2007

The silver one sounds better!!

All kidding aside, the silver would fit in well with your other components. The silver also stands out as a Rotel more than the black, if that is important to you.

P.S. That is one BLUE wall!!

Comment

• shades
                    • Mar 2005

I personally like black components but the rotel just looks so good in silver and black. That's what i have.

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

I'm pretty much know i'm going to go with Silver now. I think it would match better as well.

Color aside, is the 'ONLY' difference b/w the models the HDMI? Does the newer one come more updates electronics e.g; DSP chips, electronic boards, etc?

If i go for the 1056, would i be able to update the firmware easly on my PC? I don't have the proprietary cable needed.

Comment

• shades
                        • Mar 2005

Only difference between the 2 is HDMI and that's switching

Comment

• yourtoys7
                          • Feb 2006

shades,
                          not shure how good of a deal for 1056, but if only 250 more for 1057 I would for shure go for 1057., but if 1056 was really good deal, I would choose 1056, but not for 250., not enuph to justify the age of 1056.
                          Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                          PSB T6,
                          Velodyne SPL 1000R
                          Rotel RSX-1057
                          Rotel RB-1070
                          OPPO 103
                          Apple TV
                          [

Comment

• scanido
                            • Apr 2006

Anyone who has a RSX-1057 know if i can change any video settings i.e; color, brightness, contrast, on the HDMI inputs?

Thanks,
                            Steve

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

No.. The 1057's HDMI ports are only switching ports. The only thing the 1057 will ever be able to do to them is choose which one to send out.

Kevin D.

Comment

• shades
                                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by yourtoys7
                                shades,
                                not shure how good of a deal for 1056, but if only 250 more for 1057 I would for shure go for 1057., but if 1056 was really good deal, I would choose 1056, but not for 250., not enuph to justify the age of 1056.
                                I know what your saying but the 1057 is going to be obsolete too when the 1058 gets released this year

Comment

• gianni
                                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by shades
                                  I know what your saying but the 1057 is going to be obsolete too when the 1058 gets released this year
                                  Let me offer this opinion - none of the 10 sreies RSX' or RSP's are even close to obsolete. Yes, they have been slightly improved with the newer models, but the changes are not huge. The basic sound and functionality is pretty much the same. Only those who have been convinced they NEED HDMI take the view that the older units are obsolete. In fact, the older RSX-1055 seems to have been the most reliable of the bunch and some will argue that through multi-inputs, sounds as good or better than the newer RSX's. The newer versions have been updated, but to most users running 5.1, many of these features don't really amount to much. For my needs, the 1055 would do everything I need, hence it is not yet obsolete. When the RSX-1055 becomes obsolete, you can be sure all of Rotel's newer offerings to date will be as well - they are basically the same beast.
                                  Last edited by gianni; 20 January 2007, 16:21 Saturday.

Comment

• shades
                                    • Mar 2005

scanido,

I just noticed you live in Toronto. Your more than welcome to come by and check out my system. Are systems are matched pretty close and if you want to check out the 1056 shoot me a PM and we'll talk.

Peter

Comment

• boe
                                      • Jul 2004

I was going to do the same thing - now I'm pretty sure I'll wait for the new Denon Preamp coming out this summer. Not sure how much it will cost but I think I'm ready to make that jump in price as long as the street pice is below $4k.

I've heard people screaming how HDMI 1.3 doesn't matter and others how much it does. Frankly I think HDMI is like BT - BT 1.1 sucked, 1.2 was a tad better, I think with BT 2.0 they've worked out the kinks. I've read and actually witnessed too many issues with HDMI not working correctly between devices. From what I've heard HDMI 1.3 seems to have some of those kinks worked out.

I keep reading stories from manufacturers saying HDMI 1.3 costs too much so we won't be going that route. So are you telling me if you sell a $2000 unit, you can't afford to jump from a $35 chip to a $85 chip? Kind of like car manufacturers can't afford to put a full spare in the trunk vs a doughnut. I've tested on just about every car I've had - a full tire fits fine in the well - the cost difference to the car manufacturer is about $5 - of course then they'd have to pass on that $5 expense to you and who wants to pay $5 more for a $20K car just to have a real spare tire?

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by boe
                                        I keep reading stories from manufacturers saying HDMI 1.3 costs too much so we won't be going that route.
                                        As far as Rotel is concerned, it cost too much to do HDMI 1.3 NOW.. They've never said they're not going to do it. Come 2nd to 3rd quarter when there are cheaper chips out there and they can fully test it out, they will be moving that direction.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
                                          • Apr 2006

Finalized on the "B-Stock", brought it home and the front left channel is borked! I notice this right away as it distorted at any level of volume. My dealer was good and exchanged it for me for another RSX-1056, brought that home and when I got to connecting the optical i notice it didn't lock the cable. The little door for the optical input was missing and the whole latch was loose.

To sum it all up, i ordered a new RSX-1057. I couldn't take it anymore. Lessoned learned.

BTW, I heard that Rotel does not do a good job downmixing when less than 5 speakers are used for 5.1. I only have my L/C/R speakers connected, should i enable rear surround speakers in the OSD, even if i dont have any to get around this issue?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!

Comment

• Nuthed
                                            • Jan 2007

I have an RSX-972, please nobody laugh....its sounds great, so I don't know if this will apply to you. However can you even disable the surround speakers in the OSD? I don't believe I can. Before I hooked up my center I used 2-ch, after I got the center I used dolby-3, now I use Pro-Logic. For all inputs other than CD I had Pro-Logic selected as the default surround format in the OSD, but I would manually overide the settings by using the front panel buttons. If the receiver detects a discrete format like DD from HDTV it automatically uses DD. And of course to hear DTS you have to select that on the DVD setup menu.
                                            Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
                                            RB980-BX driving mains
                                            Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
                                            Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
                                            Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
                                            SVS PB-12

Comment

• Kevin D
                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by scanido

BTW, I heard that Rotel does not do a good job downmixing when less than 5 speakers are used for 5.1. I only have my L/C/R speakers connected, should i enable rear surround speakers in the OSD, even if i dont have any to get around this issue?

Thanks for all the suggestions folks!
                                              No, you will be losing information, not just dynamics. What I would do is turn the rears off in the menu, set the DVD player to not output DD or DTS, and just use Pro-Logic II over stereo decoding in the mean time.

Kevin D.

Comment

• scanido
                                                • Apr 2006

Thanks Kevin!

Comment

Working...
                                                😀
                                                😂
                                                🥰
                                                😘
                                                🤢
                                                😎
                                                😞
                                                😡
                                                👍
                                                👎
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"