X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ejuanpiman
    • Nov 2006

humming in subwoofer

guys so i installed the cd player yesterday and everything worked fine, only now when i turn off my stereo i get a very low humming from my subwoofer, i disconected the cd player to see if it would go away but it doesnt, i rechecked all my connections and nothing, still there now i noticed that when turn on the reciever and put the volume down all the way it does not hum, but when i turn it off it comes back, i noticed that when i touch the amplifier case chassis it goes away, so i went and got a wire and grounded to the chassis and to the center screw of my poweroutlet, now is theyre something wrong internally with the amp or whats going on, thanks guys for your time.
  • Iggurk
    • Jun 2006

Hello!

If your sub as ground connection try to remove it, that was the solution for me.

Regards
    Yves

Comment

• ejuanpiman
      • Nov 2006

no the sub does not have ground connection, its a 2 prong connection just like the rotel's, i eliminated the humming by attaching a cable to the rear ground screw on the chassis to the screw on the wall outlet in the middle wich is a ground connection and went away, i spoke to rotel and they told me this was perfectly fine, what do you guys think?

Comment

• ejuanpiman
        • Nov 2006

anyone?

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

If you are turning your receiver off and leaving your sub on by itself, that can cause the problem. You should not have the sub (and its amp) on without a signal (or lack therof) for it to use.
          Danish

Comment

• ejuanpiman
            • Nov 2006

i leave it on because, it has an automatic shutoff...

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by ejuanpiman
              i leave it on because, it has an automatic shutoff...
              Which will never shut off with a hum! What you did is perfectly fine, a common cure as well. It sounds like something happend to the ground connection at the receiver outlet. For some reason your receiver was grounding through the sub wire to the sub's plug. Adding the wire to the center screw forced it to ground through that outlet. Ground loops can do some pretty crazy things some times.

In any case I'm glad you got it fixed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                • Nov 2006

Intresting Kevin D is this something i should have rotel inspect on the reciever?, is something damaged inside the reciever?, my subwoofer is connected thrue high level inputs from speaker set b from my reciever, or is something wrong with the subwoofer all of a sudden?, or is this the actuall way it has supposed to be working from the begining? sorry for all the questions kevin but i am eager to know that everything is working to its potential without any risk of anything going bad.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Highly doubt it's anything wrong with you equipment. It's possible something is wrong in one of the electrical outlets, but nothing that's potentially damaging.

Might want to double-check all your connections as it's a little strange it started after you put the CD player in, but doesn't go away when removed.

Kevin D.

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                    • Nov 2006

see where i was getting too kevin, was the following i believe that what happened is that the dvd player i had before somehow created the ground or was the ground for my reciever and since i have used it with that dvd player since day one, it never made anynoise, and now that i changed it is when the ground loop arised, theyrefore this is why i had to ground the chasis of the reciever could this be a possibility?

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Makes more since. If you replaced the DVD player with the CD player, then yes you probably removed a ground path that was taking care of the loop. Adding the wire recreated this ground path and fixed the loop again.

KevinD.

Comment

• peterS
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

i think something is wrong even if the symptom has been alleviated

assuming you are feeding analog out follow this:
                        1 if a dvd player hooked up to an outlet doesnt hum but your new cd player on the same outlet does hum then
                        2 hook the sub and cd up to the same outlet using a splitter

if it still hums replace the cd player

if it only hums with scenario 1 it probably has a power supply that is more susceptible

what should be done is having a "clean power" surge protector so all your equipment comes from a common source eliminating ground loops

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                          • Nov 2006

i do have clean power

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                            • Nov 2006

peter do you assume something is wrong with the equipment, what i assume is that the dacs in the dvd player were just such a low quality that they some how interfered with grounding or created such and it used to ground the reciever thrue the interconnects

Comment

• ejuanpiman
                              • Nov 2006

well i just came from plugging in the old dvd player in the system, i disconected the ground from the chassis on the rotel, and the hum came back then i plugged the dvd player power in and plugged the interconnects and boom hum is out, so its forsure that the ground of the reciever was being taken from the dvd player... what is this sign of?, i just left it back to how i had it, just grounded the chassis of the reciever wich is a straight ground...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"