Is Rotel drifting towards HT (away from stereo)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Horacio
    • Jan 2005

Is Rotel drifting towards HT (away from stereo)?

Hey folks.

My thing is 2 channel music and I own a Rotel setup (RB-1080+RC-1070). I was considering the RC-1090 as preamp upgrade but I now see it has been discontinued and not replaced, at least for the time being.

Is it me or Rotel is kind of letting go of investment in 2 channel? I get the impression the RC-1090 is not the only example. Maybe there is something better coming out soon to substitute it and I just don't know...maybe.

Any info / opinions are welcomed!

Cheers,
    Horacio
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Yup, the RC-1082 was just anounced at CES. Look of the 1070, sound of the 1090, plenty of inputs. Should ship in the 2nd quarter.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

If anything I think the opposite is true. Consider the following:

- 1082 has no mention of a ht pass through (although that could change)
      - No receivers or per/pros mentioned at CES incorporating HDMI 1.3 (Denon and Sherwood Newcastle both did).

I am more on the HT side so these are two big indicators to me that Rotel is not abandoning its 2 analog roots. I was hoping for at least a mention that the new 1068 would have HDMI 1.3 and could decode HD audio.

Comment

• Horacio
        • Jan 2005

Thanks Kevin.

Any insight into approx price point? Do you think there might be a 1092-type-of-thing cooking as well?

Does anybody know if the 1082 will have XLR connections?

Horacio

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

$1200US price point. No balanced connectors as the amps Rotel has with balanced inputs aren't truly balanced anyway.

As far as a RC-1092, I doubt it right now. The people at Rotel who have heard the 1082, preferred it over the RC-1090.

Kevin D.

Comment

• calmac
            • May 2005

Originally posted by Pez
            If anything I think the opposite is true. Consider the following:

- 1082 has no mention of a ht pass through (although that could change)
            - No receivers or per/pros mentioned at CES incorporating HDMI 1.3 (Denon and Sherwood Newcastle both did).

I am more on the HT side so these are two big indicators to me that Rotel is not abandoning its 2 analog roots. I was hoping for at least a mention that the new 1068 would have HDMI 1.3 and could decode HD audio.
            Pez , I understand from the info that Kevin brought back from CES that there are no commercially available chipsets for hdmi1.3 that offer any real advantage over 1.1 at the moment and so the Denon and SN products are little more than mock-ups or 'statements of intent' at this stage .I guess Rotel could have shown a box that looked similar to the 1068 but with hdmi terminals and logos
            on the front with DTS-HD and the like but the internal components just aren't available yet and this we were told is why Rotel didn't show any product.
            Gordon

Comment

• Pez
              • May 2004

Originally posted by calmac
              Pez , I understand from the info that Kevin brought back from CES that there are no commercially available chipsets for hdmi1.3 that offer any real advantage over 1.1 at the moment and so the Denon and SN products are little more than mock-ups or 'statements of intent' at this stage .I guess Rotel could have shown a box that looked similar to the 1068 but with hdmi terminals and logos
              on the front with DTS-HD and the like but the internal components just aren't available yet and this we were told is why Rotel didn't show any product.
              Gordon
              I know but with both Denon and SN making the announcements they cant be that far from hitting the market. I was just noting that the products that Rotel will be releasing IMO seem more geared towards the audio side of things (which I assume would be there goal anyways). I am very happy with my Rotel stuff but I need more inputs for all my high def sources and the ability to decode HD sound and the sooner the better. The sooner the whole debacle of HD DVD/Blu Ray/Decoding HD audio/HDMI1.3 gets sorted the better, otherwise its just holding me back from getting the most out of the new DVD formats.

Comment

• gianni
                • Nov 2002

Originally posted by Pez
                The sooner the whole debacle of HD DVD/Blu Ray/Decoding HD audio/HDMI1.3 gets sorted the better, otherwise its just holding me back from getting the most out of the new DVD formats.
                I think most people would agree with this. Unfortunately, according to some articles I've read recently, neither format may win with them co-existing for quite a while. Both sides are full steam ahead and pouring more resources into their baby. At least HDMI 1.3 does not have to worry about competition, but I have about as much faith for that becoming a stable interface as I do Windows being a stable, user friendly operating system.

Comment

• calmac
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Pez
                  I know but with both Denon and SN making the announcements they cant be that far from hitting the market. I was just noting that the products that Rotel will be releasing IMO seem more geared towards the audio side of things (which I assume would be there goal anyways). I am very happy with my Rotel stuff but I need more inputs for all my high def sources and the ability to decode HD sound and the sooner the better. The sooner the whole debacle of HD DVD/Blu Ray/Decoding HD audio/HDMI1.3 gets sorted the better, otherwise its just holding me back from getting the most out of the new DVD formats.
                  Pez ,someone on one of the Aussie forums was telling me that they had contacted Denon in Australia about the products and the answer they got was ,yes the new products look very interesting but Denon hq have been talking about them for ages and there is still no info on a firm release date.
                  Some manufacturers will showcase 'prototype' product just to provide something interesting for the punters to look at and talk about , just whether or when these things make it to the market is another thing entirely.
                  IMO Rotel have always been slower than the majors to release new formats , digital amps aside but I would expect to be seeing new stuff mid to end this year.
                  Gordon

Comment

• Pez
                    • May 2004

The ironic this I was never too worried about HDMI or the new DVD formats until I got the PS3. I was more than willing to let the dust settle, even if it took several years. Funny how one piece of equipment can changes things.

Comment

• scanido
                      • Apr 2006

I too am now waiting for a HDMI 1.3 pre/pro to handle my PS3. I know the PS3 currently does not process the HD audio formats, but when it does i'd like to use it on a compatible receiver.

Anyone know if the HD formats will still properly decode on a 5.1 system?

Comment

• calmac
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by Pez
                        The ironic this I was never too worried about HDMI or the new DVD formats until I got the PS3. I was more than willing to let the dust settle, even if it took several years. Funny how one piece of equipment can changes things.
                        Have a look at the CES report over on the Secrets web site :http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/main.html
                        this shows the new pre power amp and receivers had no electronics inside beyond the display and it's driver board.
                        Gordon

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"