X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skip
    • Dec 2003

Help improving bass response

HI Everybody. My setup consists of a Rotel RS-X1055, RB-1080 (powering the mains), B&W CDM9nt mains, B&W center and in-ceiling rear speakers. No sub (my wife vetoed the idea :cry: ). I am also using a Denon 2910 DVD player for DVD and CDs.

Anyway, the B&Ws generally sound great for 2ch, but I am noticing that the bass response is lacking, even when taking into account that I don't use a sub. I am using the pre outs from the Rotel and the multi input (for analog bypass???) from the Denon as I find the Denon DACs to sound a bit better than the Rotel for 2ch audio. The speaker selectors show no sub, so there should no issue with the crossover settings.

Anyway, this has been bugging me for a while and I finally got to the point where I thought I would try to solicit some help. Given what I spent on the system, I am frustrated that I get a more defined bass response from the stock system in my 3-Series BMW.

Many thanks in advance for the help,
    Skip
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

Are you sure that your speakers are set to Large in both the receiver, and in the Denon? It sounds as though you're only running analog inputs from the Denon, so bass management would be handled there.

Also make sure there is no type of dynamic compression turned on the Denon (i.e., reduces highs and lows for night-time viewing).
    Brad

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
      • Apr 2006

Have you looked at a B&W PV-1? That guy is pretty small and could be tucked in a lot of places, if the visual impact of a sub was what bothered your wife.

Comment

• Skip
        • Dec 2003

Thanks for the feedback. I will doublecheck tonight when I get home, but I'm pretty sure I set the Denon for large speakers and no sub. Also, good point about the compression. Will check that tonight as well, though I don't recall enabling the compression during my original setup of the Denon.

FYI, I am also running digi coax out of the Denon and noticing the same lackluster bass response when using the Rotel DACs.

Unfortunately, as hard as I might try, even a small sub is too big for the time being. In fairness to my wife, the space would look pretty busy with the sub. She was also pretty cool about adding the CDM9nts a couple of years ago, so I don't want to push my luck. I have considered an in-wall sub, but probably not going to happen for a variety of reasons right now.

Thanks for the ideas. Any additional thoughts would be much appreciated as well.

Regards.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

I've tried running my CDM9's in pure stereo before, they're just not that good in the bass department. I've had a RB1090 on them, it's not a power issue..

Kevin D.

Comment

• Skip
            • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
            I've tried running my CDM9's in pure stereo before, they're just not that good in the bass department. I've had a RB1090 on them, it's not a power issue..

Kevin D.

I was afraid this might be the case. I was hoping for some magic tweak to make it all better. Oh well. Given that a sub is out, I guess my options are to: 1) stick with my current setup and enjoy it the way it is (it's certainly not bad, just not what I expected for the amount of money I invested); 2) sell the B&Ws and get a new pair of speakers with a little more oomph; or 3) install an in-wall sub?

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
              • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Skip
              I was afraid this might be the case. I was hoping for some magic tweak to make it all better. Oh well. Given that a sub is out, I guess my options are to: 1) stick with my current setup and enjoy it the way it is (it's certainly not bad, just not what I expected for the amount of money I invested); 2) sell the B&Ws and get a new pair of speakers with a little more oomph; or 3) install an in-wall sub?
              4) Invest in a small blue box at Tiffany then get a sub!

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

Listen to the XT4's, they have alot of bass.
                Greg

Comment

• Skip
                  • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Navin R. Johnso
                  4) Invest in a small blue box at Tiffany then get a sub!

Funny! I showed this post to my wife and she said it's going to take a lot more than one little blue box.

Just curious, what's the smallest decent sub out there? Ideallly, it would be something long and skinny that I could lay horizontally under my media stand, which is only a few inches high.

It would be great to avoid swapping out the CDM9s if at all possible.

Comment

• Iggurk
                    • Jun 2006

Hello!

Use http://www.ceraball.com/ under your amplifier and source (and pre amp too), you will be impressed by the bass improvement, just unbelievable.

Power quality is also to consider, a very good power cord also improve a lot.

Regards
                    Yves

Comment

• Club1820
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Skip
                      Just curious, what's the smallest decent sub out there? Ideallly, it would be something long and skinny that I could lay horizontally under my media stand, which is only a few inches high.

It would be great to avoid swapping out the CDM9s if at all possible.

Skip, why dont you post pictures of your setup and room so we can see what you have to work with?
                      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Skip
                        • Dec 2003

Originally posted by Club1820
                        Skip, why dont you post pictures of your setup and room so we can see what you have to work with?

Here's a quick pic of the family room.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• BassThatHz
                          • Jul 2006

I assume you didn't do something silly like wire them out of phase.

When you compared it to your car, were you using the same song and at a similar volume level?

One thing you should be aware of is that a car has a much smaller air volume than a room, and as such the relative displacement must increase to reach equivalent sound pressures.

You might want to toe-in the front speakers a touch to focus the sound into a central area.

I wouldn't say it would make it more busy, but from looking at this image I can't imagine any subwoofer you could place up front without drawing attention to it and not cause the rest of your gear to misalign.

Can you provide a picture of the listening position; perhaps you can hide a really good/small subwoofer like the Velodyne HGS-10 behind a chair or a table?

Also, have to tried to play a tone sweep and walk around the room to see if it’s a room boundary problem you are having? Sometimes adding some acoustic panels or soft furniture can fix the problem to some degree.

Comment

• qm456
                            • Dec 2006

AXIOM M60s

Comment

• chinets
                              • Jun 2005

My suggestion is to hide 2 ASW 855 under the couch, and the Mrs. would not find them :W !! :rofl:

Comment

• Navy
                                • Jan 2006

Skip=> as Narvin R. Johnson said go check B&W PV-1. You'll be surpised with it's musical ablities anu your Wife won't even notice it. Just kidding... My B&W PV-1 is very happy standing on a case well above the sweet spot. If you don't know what it is you will confuse it with a silver basket ball.

Comment

• Iggurk
                                  • Jun 2006

Hello!

Start to use good spikes on your front speakers, that will improve the bass.

Comment

• GregLett
                                    • May 2005

Originally posted by Iggurk
                                    Hello!

Start to use good spikes on your front speakers, that will improve the bass.
                                    I would also add thatyou should place them on a piece of Granite tile, that would also improve the sound. Right now all your bass is going right into the floor.
                                    Greg

Comment

• RobP
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2004

Are we talking about the lack of quanity here or quality of bass?
                                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Skip
                                        • Dec 2003

Thanks for all of the responses.

I'll try the toe-in again, but have done it in the past without great improvement. I'll also check the wiring again for phase issue, though I'm pretty sure it is not a problem.

Haven't thought of spikes. Do they make that much of a difference. Also, would the speakers be unstable (i.e., would they be easier for my toddler to knock over)?

I'll see if I can take a picture of the listening position, but the problem isn't space in other parts of the room, it's a wiring issue. When we moved in had some in-ceilings installed for rears so we wouldn't have to deal with wires running across the room. Should have done that for a sub too then, but missed the chance. Now I think we really would prefer not to start rewiring again to install a sub.

Good question, Soundgravy. I think I would describe it as quantity. I find that bass is generally fainter than it should be. Recognizing there is a big difference, but I have a set of powered Adam studio monitors (nearfealds) in my basement. The bass is not boomy, but way more noticeable than on my more expensive B&W/Rotel setup. With the Rotel/B&W I have to strain to hear detail the bass line.

FWIW, I the bass seems better and more acceptable when watching DVDs. The problem is worst with 2ch.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Iggurk
                                          • Jun 2006

Hello!

Spikes improve a lot the sound, especially the bass that are less boomy and more detailed. That's the first thing to do IMHO, next better feet for electronics.

You can try soundcare superspikes, they are really good for the price and won't destroy your wood ground.

I've tried to put granite plate below the speakers, sound worse in my case, removed them very quickly.

Did you try to move a bit the speakers?

I've obtained best result by aligning the speakers with the listening position, I only see a small part the inner side. yours are perfectly parallel if I look at the picture.

To have more bass put speakers closer to the wall (do you have rear or front air exhaust? check if no foam inside).

Don't forget one thing, the cleanest the bass are the less you will notice them, that doesn't mean that you have less bass, they are just better sounding.

yves

Comment

• RobP
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

Hey Skip,

If you go the spikes route, I would recommend paying a little extra and getting sound anchor stands for them, The bass quality would be vastly improved even over plain spikes, plus they would be more stable.They may also help improve the level as well, your not wasting the energy into the floor. Now from what I read you are using the Dennon in 2 channel mode and the Rotel in HT mode, and you are happy with the bass for HT. Just for kicks, run 2 channel off of the Rotel and see if the Bass improves in 2 Channel.

Another thought too, have you pulled the speakers out from the walls just a bit to see what effect that has?

If all else fails, you could have a subwoofer built that could match the console, maybe your wife would like that idea? :huh:
                                            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
                                            😀
                                            😂
                                            🥰
                                            😘
                                            🤢
                                            😎
                                            😞
                                            😡
                                            👍
                                            👎
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"