X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • flyboylr45
    • Jan 2007

For $500 what would you...

Hello,

I am new here. I am in the process of buying either a receiver or a pre/pro. At my local dealer the difference between the RSX 1067 and the RSP 1068/RMB1075 combo is $500. One of them will be running Monitor Audio speakers (S6 fronts, S2 center, SFX rears). Is the $500 difference worth it or should I save that money and use it towards a good (maybe $1000) subwoofer? I mainly listen to 2 channel music through my Musical Fidelity A3.2 integrated amp which I am selling. I want sound as good if not better than that. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Also, is it true that with the RSX 1067 you can biamp the front speakers by redirecting the zone two channels to the front??? That's what my dealer said.
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

I suggest RSX-1057 and RB-1080 instead, which is cheaper and gives you a good multichannel system as well as a great stereo sound. You would use the 2X200 watts power of 1080 to your fronts for a 2 channel system and not the internal amps of 1057. At least, that I what I plan to do for myself shortly. See my profile for my current setup and my latest post and replies from Kevin under the title "RSX-1057, should I purchase it?"

Comment

• Nick M
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Nov 2004

I would hold off entirely. The next batch of Pre/Pro's and receivers are going to be released in teh next few months. If you're looking for a surround sound setup, I honestly can't recommend the Rotel stuff as they will not be including any decoding for the HD surround formats.

I would whole-heartedly recommend their gear for two-channel, or just their amps like the above mentioned RMB-1075 (I previously owned this).

You might want to consider the upcoming products from Sherwood Newcastle which are similarly priced, offer HDMI 1.3 switching, and will decode the HD audio formats.
      ~Nick

Comment

• Nuthed
        • Jan 2007

Unless you plan on using a Sony PS3 for Bluray, any of the Rotels with discrete multi-channel inputs will work great. The PS3 forces you to use the HDMI to get the new surround formats. All of the Bluray/HDDVD players include internal decoders to get you the lossless surround formats through the multi-channel outs. Would it be nice to let the pre-pro or reciever do the decoding after getting the signal over HDMI? Sure, but after all the BS I hear about compatibility issues with this "handshake" that has to occur for HDMI to work I don't want anything to do with it for awhile. Thats probably why a reputable company like Rotel doesn't have it on anything other than a DVD player yet: they don't want frustrated customers.
        Main System

RSX-972 driving center and surrounds
        RB980-BX driving mains
        Paradigm Monitor 9s V5
        Paradigm Monitor C-390 V5
        Paradigm Monitor Atoms V5
        SVS PB-12

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"