X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • corysmith01
    • Feb 2005

RB amps - ratings @ less than 8 ohms?

Hi all-

This may be a really dumb question, but I just can't seem to find the answer. I'm interested in adding an amp to my set up as I'm in the process of purchasing a pair of speakers rated at 4 ohms. My receiver, a Denon 3805, is pretty beefy, but I still feel as though the speakers' full potential won't be realized until I add an amp. However, upon looking at the specs for Rotel amps, I can only find their 8 ohm ratings. For instance, I was looking at the RB-1050 and it says in the manual that there's a "4 ohm minimum" but there are no specs. Is this b/c the specs do not change on Rotels like on other amps? What I mean to say is, most amps I've looked at say "75 watts @ 8 ohms, 150 watts @ 4 ohms" (this is just an example). Do Rotels operate in the same manner? If so, where can I find this information? Thanks for any help. Looking forward to potentially joining the Rotel ranks. :B
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

They do go up as the ohm load goes down. The specs aren't published as Rotel only rates them at 8ohm. The 4ohm values for most amps are out there in independent reviews and other sources.

Here's a few from a quick search:

1050: 100w
    1066: 75w
    1075: 200w
    1095: 330w

Lets us know which one's you're looking at and we'll see if we can find the rating.

Kevin D.

Comment

• G. Martin
      • Oct 2006

Kevin how about the RB-1070 ?
      George

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

RB-1070: 160w
        RMB-1048: 60w

Kevin D.

Comment

• corysmith01
          • Feb 2005

Thanks for the reply! That was quick. Hmm, I wonder the rationale behind not publishing them. Oh well, at least I know they're stable down to 4 ohm. Specifically I'm looking at the 1050, and probably going no higher than the 1070...it's really just a cost issue for me as I don't have a lot of cabbage to drop. But at the same time, I feel that picking one up, regardless of the model, would help put a little more "oomph" into my speakers vs. the receiver I'm using.

Comment

• joetama
            • May 2006

Curious about the RB-1080? Kevin do you know?
            -Joe

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

I would estimate 300w - 325w on the 1080..

Correction on the 1095. Rotel says 300watts, a test magazine found it to be 330w.

I found Rotel does publish some specs under the FAQ section of their website.

Kevin D.

Comment

• calmac
                • May 2005

Originally posted by corysmith01
                Thanks for the reply! That was quick. Hmm, I wonder the rationale behind not publishing them. Oh well, at least I know they're stable down to 4 ohm. Specifically I'm looking at the 1050, and probably going no higher than the 1070...it's really just a cost issue for me as I don't have a lot of cabbage to drop. But at the same time, I feel that picking one up, regardless of the model, would help put a little more "oomph" into my speakers vs. the receiver I'm using.
                Just my oppinion but I wouldn't go for anything lower than a 1070 to show real improvement over the Denon's internal amps.
                Gordon

Comment

• corysmith01
                  • Feb 2005

Just my oppinion but I wouldn't go for anything lower than a 1070 to show real improvement over the Denon's internal amps.
                  Really? I know the amps in the Denon are pretty good for a receiver as it was one of their top-flight receivers, but you don't think power from a dedicated amp would be any better? Don't get me wrong...i'm happy to not have to spend the money. :B I guess I was just concerned being that, like most receivers, this one is rated at 8 ohm with 6 being the minimum. The speakers on that are on their way are 4 ohm. Now, I do live in a small apt and nothing ever gets driven very hard lest I piss my neighbors off, so I guess I need to take that into account when considering whether I need/don't need an amp. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

• chanlon
                    • Sep 2003

Hi.

I was faced with the same decision a few years ago when I was using a Rotel RSX-972 receiver with a pair of 4 ohm speakers. I added the Rotel 1075 amp. A significant difference IMO. I don't crank the amp either. However, even at low volumes, sound could be described as more punchier, lively, with greater dynamics. A dedicated amp would be an improvement.

Comment

• joetama
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                      I would estimate 300w - 325w on the 1080..

Correction on the 1095. Rotel says 300watts, a test magazine found it to be 330w.

I found Rotel does publish some specs under the FAQ section of their website.

Kevin D.
                      I would believe it out of the 1080... Very solid performer if you ask me, I love mine...
                      -Joe

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"