X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

Rotel RSX-1057. Should I purchase it?

Myer-Emco here in N. VA have their private sale even soon, and I think I am ready to purchase 1057 in order to complete my HT system. I currently have:

Rotel RB-1080 Power Amp
    Rotel RC-1070 Pre-Amp
    Rotel RCD-1072 Cd player
    Axiom M60ti speakers
    Rel Q150E Sub
    PS3
    SilverCats Interconnects
    SignalCable bi-wire 10g speaker cable
    Belkin PureAV PF60 power console
    Samsung DLP 46"
    Harmony 880 universal remote

I plan to add Axiom QS8s for rear speakers (wall mount at my back wall) and Axiom center.

I have a few questions though:

1 - Will I lose sound quality for stereo playback by using 1057 as a pre and my RB-1080 amp, as compared to my current pre RC-1070? I know that 1057 has an extra 2 channels available to be used with an external amp, and that's what I plan to do.

2 - Somebody suggested that I plug everything (PS, cable HD box, DVD player) to the 1057 and then run an HDMI cable from the 1057 to my DLP tv. Would this work just as running HDMI cable directly from PS3 to the TV? Is it a big deal that 1057 only supports 1.1 HDMI and not 1.3?

3 - Finally, any suggestion on HT installers in N. VA, DC and MD are to install my rear speaker in the wall, with speaker cables inside the wall? I am not very handy on this matters.

I'd really appreciate your advise guys, and always in the past in this forum.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by thyname
    1 - Will I lose sound quality for stereo playback by using 1057 as a pre and my RB-1080 amp, as compared to my current pre RC-1070? I know that 1057 has an extra 2 channels available to be used with an external amp, and that's what I plan to do.
    Depending on who you ask, you might lose some sound quality. I don't have any direct experience, but you may not notice. Until you get your center and surround speakers, you will want to stick with the stereo outputs of your DVD and cable box as the 1057 loses a lot of dynamics downconverting 5.1 signals into stereo. And you are correct, using your 1080 has a front amp, the 1057's front amplifiers can be used as center back or zone 2 channel.

2 - Somebody suggested that I plug everything (PS, cable HD box, DVD player) to the 1057 and then run an HDMI cable from the 1057 to my DLP tv. Would this work just as running HDMI cable directly from PS3 to the TV? Is it a big deal that 1057 only supports 1.1 HDMI and not 1.3?
    The 1057 has HDMI switching only, and only 2 HDMI inputs. So you can run two HDMI sources into it, with one HDMI cable out to the TV. Any other HDMI device will have to run direct to the TV. Anything without HDMI will have to be ran into the component video inputs and then out to the TV. Since it cannot decode audio from the HDMI ports, you will also have to run a digital or analog audio cable to the 1057 as well.

Since it's switching only, it's not going to matter only being HDMI 1.1.

Kevin D.

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Thank you Kevin, I appreciate your input! I certainly welcome the opionions of other Rotel owners with direct experience on the above.

Unfortunately I can only do 5.1 as my sofa is directly against the wall. Can I use my RB-1080 for the fronts and the other 1057's amps for the center and rear channels at the same time? One more thing, I would run RCA stereo cables from 1080 to the outputs of 1057 two "outside" channels and then from the "CD" inputs of 1057 to my RCD-1072 outputs, in order to use my 1072's DACs, right? Sorry if this is elementary, but I never owned a proper surround sound HT.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by thyname
        Unfortunately I can only do 5.1 as my sofa is directly against the wall. Can I use my RB-1080 for the fronts and the other 1057's amps for the center and rear channels at the same time?
        Certainly. If you wanted to you can use the extra channels for outdoor speakers or any other pair you want in a different area.

One more thing, I would run RCA stereo cables from 1080 to the outputs of 1057 two "outside" channels and then from the "CD" inputs of 1057 to my RCD-1072 outputs, in order to use my 1072's DACs, right? Sorry if this is elementary, but I never owned a proper surround sound HT.
        The 1057 has pre-amp outputs for all channels. So just connect the 1080's cables to the front outputs of the 1057. And then of course hook up the CD cables to the CD inputs to use the 1072's DACs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• thyname
          • Jan 2005

I have been reading a lot recently and got many similar opinions saying that I'd rather wait until a true, 1.3 HDMI receiver come out later this year. Somebody had suggested Sherwood Newcastle instead. Your thoughts on the above? Thanks

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"