X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j_nathalia
    • Dec 2006

RDV 1060 and DTS 96/24

I'm having the RDV 1060 player and I'm a bit disappointed that it doesn't play tracks with DTS 96/24. It does play DTS 96/24 when it is from a MLP track (so called MLP DTS 96/24) but when you have a normal DVD with several tracks (like PCM, DD and DTS 96/24) the DTS track is downgraded to normal DTS.

Actually I bought this DVD player since my pre-amp RSP 1066 doesn't support DTS 96/24 (RSP 1068 came out later when I already had purchased 1066).

Is this true or can I update my BIOS with new software? Also HDCD is not supported, but this is according to specs of manual.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

True, the 1060 will not decode or pass the HDCD signal. I'm not aware of an update that will allow it.

I'm also pretty sure the 1060 will not decode a DTS 96/24 signal. If the DTS logo on the front of the player doesn't show 96/24 next to it then no. It's would require a different decoding chip and more licensing.

There is firmware updates available that fix a few known issues with certain discs and a defaulting of the SCART setup. Check with your dealer as they will need to apply the update (it's easy to kill the 1060's DVDA section if not done properly)

Kevin D.

Comment

• j_nathalia
      • Dec 2006

I have brought my player due to a cracky sound. They told me it were the muting transistors that may malfunction when it was connected while the set was on.

This was actually not true since I still have the same problem (loud tracks), so the machine goes back again.

However I asked the about HDCD and they told me the chip does support it! So they changed the ROM and now I do have HDCD which I can set to 16 bit or 20 bit!!

It is all depending on the software (EEPROM) and I think it also does support DTS 96/24 (although the logo is not showing it). Since it does support 192Khz/24 bits I'm convinced it does support DTS 96/24. The service guy confirmed this that it already plays this format, however you cannot see this at the display.

I also found out that the ROM is programmed/developed in the Netherlands.

Comment

• Vicente
        • May 2004

My 1060 always passed the HDCD signal to the receiver (rsx 1056), but only thru the digital output.

I don't understand if you mean that yours can decode now HDCD. If yes please tell us wich software release they have charged to your player, so everybody can do it too.

Thank you very much.

Comment

• j_nathalia
          • Dec 2006

Of course, if you pass HDCD or DTS with an ancient cd-player via the digital out, it will play the signal at your receiver. The 1056 supports almost any format. I did this at the beginning while using one of the first Magnavox cd-players which was about 20 years old. I was able to play DTS at my RSP-1066 with a cd-player which was 20 years old!

In this case it is preferred to play DTS, HDCD, DTS 96/24 via the analog ports. This is why you have such an excellent machine!

The RDV-1060 does not support by default the HDCD signal. However the chip inside the machine does support it. If you have not got the ROM update, it will defenitly play HDCD but at normal CD signal, so 44 Khz/16 bits. If you have the update, it fully uses the original stream and therefore you will have significant signal improvement.

The ROM I have is not released yet via UK. A Dutch company does the modifications and releases this via Rotel. I have only attended the guy why HDCD was not supported and he came out with the answer: just a modification of ROM.

What is the way to see the ROM version? Wasn't it Play, >, \/, <, /\?

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"