Question about Rotel amps with different power output..

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chip
    • Aug 2001

Question about Rotel amps with different power output..

Does anyone know if 6ave.com moves on their prices if you call them ? I'm really liking the 1090
    Curious...

One more question, If i were to buy the 1090 @ 380 WPC for my front main's, and decided later to add a five channel amp like the 1095 @ 200 WPC, would the power difference be a problem ? I'm wondering how pumping 380 watts to the main's and only 200 watts too say, the center channel would be? Is it fine? Would the amps only use whats required or what? Thanks.

Chip Engle

"Concrete ain't a spectator sport"

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
    Chip Engle

My HT
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Chip,

Are you looking for seven channels of amplification? If not, I'd use two channels of the 1095 and bi-amp the center. That way you wind up with 380 to the mains and about 400 to the center, which IMO is the most important single speaker (due to the dialog) for movies.

And remember (repeat after me): you can never have too much power! :B

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Chip
      • Aug 2001

Thanks David,

Is biamping as simple as running 2 cables from two channels on the amp into one channel on the center speaker? (in my case, a Stratus C6i). My center is not biwirable. Just an fyi.. i know were talking biamping here. Does it matter for hometheater if the power output of the amps are different for the front three? This is my main question. Thanks!

Chip Engle

<a href="http://www.htguide.com/bilder/index.cfm?fuseaction=arkivbilder&userid=0&selected userid=336" target="_blank">My HT
      Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• greggz
        • Jun 2002

Hi Chip,

The power differences between the 2 amps really shouldn't matter. The 1090 has a better dampening factor so you'll get tighter, faster bass from it.

What CAN matter is if the two amps have gain differences. Email Rotel tech support and ask them what the gain is on the two amps and if there is a way to adjust them so that both amps will respond similarly.

Gregg
        Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Having one power amount running to the L/R mains and a differing amount to the center shouldn't matter as long as the channel levels are calibrated to the same level using VE or Avia. Now if the amps themselves sound different, then it may affect the sound that way.

As far as bi-amping, it probably won't help with single binding posts. Generally speaking you "bridge" the two amps together (if they support it) and then run one set of cables from one amp to the bass binding posts and a second set of cables from the second amp to the mid-range/treble binding posts.

Hi ya' Gregg, welcome to HTGuide.

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Ricky
            • Aug 2000

Chip,

Rotel is generally a 10-20% off brand. So you're looking at ~ $1600 for the 1090. I saw this on audiogon and could not resist posting, since the seller also lives in NJ and the amps look great in his pics:

[http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstran&1031385436&2&3&4&]

Two Parasound 2200II amps, mint with OBM.
            EACH amp has:
            - two 1.2kVA power transformers (one per channel)
            - 12 output devices per channel
            - 220 wpc, 1st 10 watts is pure classA (your PSBs will sing for music, where you probably wouldn't be using more than 10 watts)
            - $1799 retail
            - renowned John Curl design
            - 60 pounds

You can probably get them for ~ $650-700 each if you pick up. Connect one amp to your left main and center. The other to your right main. Leave one channel open (or for passive sub). If you upgrade from receiver to prepro in future, just add a 3 channel parasound. Or start with one 2200II, and add a 5 channel later.

I picked up two of these 2200IIs recently and love them. My big, power thristy NHT 3.3s have never sounded better...and you know I've gone through alot of amps. If I had the cash and rack space, I would jump on this rare, local deal and have four monster 2 channel amps

Comment

• Chip
              • Aug 2001

Thanks guy's....

I appreciate the input. 8)

Chip Engle

Chip Engle

My HT

Comment

• Lex
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Apr 2001

Doug
                "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"