X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

1098 as lowner/possible buy. Plase give input

My 1068 is in the shop and had the 1070 for a bit now I have the 1098 as a lowner. I owuld appreciate your help.

1. What is the purpose of the screen. Its lit but always blank unless I hit the volume then it shows for a sec secs. I dont see any constant image of input, sound processing or what mode its in.

2. When I hold mute I get V1.1.2 030731. Is this an old version? Ar ethe last numbers the date it was made?

3. The red "zone 2" light is always on. Why?

4. My dealer said if I give hime my 1068 (3 months) i can have the 1098 for $1395, CDN. Worth it? BTW no new HDMI processor is due out in 07. I checked.

Advice and answers appreciated.
  • calmac
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
    My 1068 is in the shop and had the 1070 for a bit now I have the 1098 as a lowner. I owuld appreciate your help.

1. What is the purpose of the screen. Its lit but always blank unless I hit the volume then it shows for a sec secs. I dont see any constant image of input, sound processing or what mode its in.

2. When I hold mute I get V1.1.2 030731. Is this an old version? Ar ethe last numbers the date it was made?

4. My dealer said if I give hime my 1068 (3 months) i can have the 1098 for $1395, CDN. Worth it? BTW no new HDMI processor is due out in 07. I checked.

Sounds like this is a demo unit that has been configured in a specific way.You can do a 'factory reset' which will return the pre to it's default values and should remove some of these issues , just bare in mind that you will also loose all your speaker and crossover settings.
    Gordon

Comment

• joetama
      • May 2006

I would agree on the factory reset. Then reconfigure it the way that you want it....

They are a bit complex at first, but they make sense after a while...
      -Joe

Comment

• shadow 8
        • Aug 2004

I would not take the word of a dealer trying to move a demo pre/pro that Rotel will not release an HDMI pre this year, esp since they are releasing receivers with that feature in the next few months.

Comment

• Nolan B
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2005

Originally posted by shadow 8
          I would not take the word of a dealer trying to move a demo pre/pro that Rotel will not release an HDMI pre this year, esp since they are releasing receivers with that feature in the next few months.
          I didnt check that with my dealer. I got that info from CES.

Comment

• shadow 8
            • Aug 2004

Then I stand corrected This will not make other forum members very happy and will likely cost Rotel some sales.

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Vancouver

Only composite video is displayed on the TFT, so if you want your sources to show you will need to run composite as well as component/svideo. You can change the video input separate from the listening input.

Very out of date! Going from a 1.xx software to the newer 2.xx version requires an eeprom update as well as a firmware update. It adds a ton of new features and fixes (mainly PLIIx). Instructions and files are at Rotel's site.

Because zone 2 is on... Hit the path button until you see ZONE2, then rotate the knob until you get to 'off'

Worth it? Probably not. At version 1.1, it probably doesn't have the improved shielding around the DSP board plus it just doesn't seem cheap enough for a unit they've had for 2 years now.. For $1000CDN I would jump.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

^^^thanks kevin.

With regards to my first question about the TFT screen i should have worded it different. I wasnt meaning i wanted to see the ACTUAL video souce, but more have the info on the screen that would normally show on my 1068 i.e.

DVD
                Dolby Digital
                (Name I gave the surce)
                volume
                input
                etc..

As it stands the screen only stays lit with no info on it. Seems like a waste unless you are actually watching video on it.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Nope, no way for it to act just as a display.. Well I suppose you can turn the OSD off and then hit the menu button.. That should work.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Sep 2005

Thanks kevin. I did th 4 EPROM upadtes and installed V 3.1.5 (or what ever the latest is. The unit is 2 years old, yes, but it was never really used becuase it stil has the plastice sheet over the screen. Ill offer 1k and see what he says. Doesnt really fit in my rack so it sits on top.

Ill post some pictures and get some opinions.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

ummmm... If you did put 3.1.5 on there you need to put the latest 2.xx version. The 3.xx is only for newer units with a different TFT screen. You should have screen issues leaving 3.1.5.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        ummmm... If you did put 3.1.5 on there you need to put the latest 2.xx version. The 3.xx is only for newer units with a different TFT screen. You should have screen issues leaving 3.1.5.

Kevin D.
                        no screen issues. I did eprom 1-4 then put in 3.1.5. Works fine. What issues specifically would I notice?

Comment

• Kevin D
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2002

Might be backwards compatible. I know a 3.xx unit with 2.xx software will have a very dark screen.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

another issue has come up.

I just got a new cable box and hooked it up to the 1098 via digital Coax. For some reason every time I change channels it switches to Dobly PL11 Music. If I change the input to 2 channel it will change back to Dobly PL11 Music if I change the channel (on the cable box).

I also can not put it into 5 channel stereo. Anyone know what would causet this clitch?

my default mode fort that intput is PCM 2.

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Sounds like the box is always outputing a Dolby Digital signal (converting 2ch to DD2.0). What model cable box is it?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                Sounds like the box is always outputing a Dolby Digital signal (converting 2ch to DD2.0). What model cable box is it?

Kevin D.

I think you are right. When I switch to 2 channel it reads "Dolby Digital 2 channel" on the display. Anoying, because I hear an internal click on the 1098 every time I change channels. What would you do? I guess ill have the same issue if I decide not to keep the 1098 when my 1068 gets fixed.

here is the box

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"