X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kmckenn
    • Jan 2007

RSX-1056 - 2CH CD (music) Listening

Hi Guys,

My first post here, but I am not new to audio, but am just now (re)emerging from life in a time capsule, and I need some input.

In the past few months I have been kicking some new life back into my late '80's early 90's stereo system which got rolled into an otherwise rather ho-humm HT system.

For reference, here is a summary of what I have now...

At the heart, a Rotel RSX-1056 acting as a pre/pro for the front channels, and driving the side and back speakers.

Main speakers are... Vandersteen 2C's "vertically" bi-amp'd with (1 each) B+K ST202's connected to the 1056 with 2 pair Spectral MI-500 Interconnects, with 2 pair - MIT aVT-2 speaker cables.

Side/Surround speakers are... Vandersteen 1B's.

Back speakers are... (not really worthy of mention) a pair of old "Design Acoustics" satellite speakers.

ALL "DISC"'s (DVD/CD/etc.) are read by a SONY DVP-NS575P and connected to the 1056 only by a "Monster" digital coax cable. ALL "D/A" conversion is being done by the 1056.

The listening room, is a classic "All-American", 17'x17'x8' multi-purpose, do-all "Livingroom".

The sound that is coming from this system right now defies what I thought it could do, it exceeds my imagination and expectations. However, the "?"/self-perceived "weak-link" in this system is the SONY DVD(disc) player.

I argue with myself on whether or not changing out the DVD player (or adding on a dedicated CD player) would make a change. On one hand I tell myself that it's merely playing the role of a transport for the 1056's DAC's, then on the other I tell myself its a cheap piece of junk! ;-)... So it is, I have brought my (self) argument to others with more experince in some of these details than my arguing self!

So, solely for the benefit of CD - 2CH - music listening, what opinions do you have of what would make a better CD - 2CH - music listening experience than what the Sony DVD (disc) player is doing now, if any?

So? whaddya think???? (Perches hand behind ear, turns his head, and listens carefully)
  • Nick M
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

What sounds "off"? Usually with sources I hear a difference in soundfield definition. A good CD player using it's DAC's (with other good components) will give better depth (with proper speaker placement) and you might notice sharper placement of instruments.

If the upper range of the music sounds bad, it's probably your speakers. If the lower range lacks definition, you either need some larger drivers (via larger speakers/subs) or your speakers may be underpowered.

If the music sounds flat/sterile/thin or seems to lack sharp peaks or dynamic control, it could be your amp. A bad preamp can also maul a signal into a thin sounding one.

Speakers are the #1 component though, while the CD player is the last thing to consider (in my opinion anyways). Your speakers with enough oomph behind them via enough power is 90% of the battle. Then you start noticing the small things that different sources/pre-amps/amps make.

EDIT: Actually I should say that speakers, enough juice, and placement constitute 90% of the battle.
    Last edited by Nick M; 12 January 2007, 17:27 Friday.
    ~Nick

Comment

• kmckenn
      • Jan 2007

Nic... thanks...

Nothing is off at all, it seems beyond perfect. I was just hoping to get some sort of feedback on Rotel users experince with onboard DAC -v- external DAC's... whether a (cheap DVD) player acting only as a digital transport might compare to a NICE, dedicated CD player, still only acting as a transport, then how it might compare to a NICE (Rotel) CD player via interconnects. For playing CD's, does the dedicated CD player out perfom a do-all disc player when conected via digi-coax......... ?

Each time I've upgraded, I'd told myself before that, that I didn't know how it could get better, but it has.... So, I'm here for others experience(s) on feeding CD/music to the 1056...

Comment

• hanser
        • May 2002

My experiences:

NAD CD Player 524 (top of the NAD line, analogue stage modified) sounded better than the DACs of the Rotel RSP 1066. Sound was warmer, smoother.

Pioneer DVD player 656 (universal player) sounded as CD player mostly different that Rotel, perhaps a bit smoother, but also leaner, less substance.

The big step forward for me was addition of an Aqvox USB 2 DAC (external DAC). Sound is MUCH better, especially in high frequencies a certain roughness is gone, e g in Violin or soprano voices. makes CD sound almost as DVD-Audio or SACD. In fact, CD via Aqvox sounded better thatn SACD from the Pioneer player, perhaps still a bit rougher but more involving, more detailled.

Comment

• kmckenn
          • Jan 2007

Very interesting.... thanks for the input! I'm curious what interconnect you use from the Aqvox DAC to your 1066(?)?

Are you using the NAD as your transoport right now? Also, have you experimented with the transport source to the Aqvox? The NAD via coax -v- the Denon DVD coax? or anything else?

Anyone else with other experience(s), idea(s)?
          Last edited by kmckenn; 13 January 2007, 12:58 Saturday. Reason: more questions

Comment

• hanser
            • May 2002

Originally posted by kmckenn
            Very interesting.... thanks for the input! I'm curious what interconnect you use from the Aqvox DAC to your 1066(?)?

Are you using the NAD as your transoport right now? Also, have you experimented with the transport source to the Aqvox? The NAD via coax -v- the Denon DVD coax? or anything else?

Anyone else with other experience(s), idea(s)?

Interconnects: Honestly I have no idea, they are good quality, but nothing special, cost about 60 Dollars, if I remember correctly.

Transport: First I used the NAD as transport. I compared with the Pioneer DVD, but found no clear differences (perhaps the NAD a bit more solid?). I Think the transport is much less important than almost everything else. The AQVOX has reclocking to eliminate jitter.

Addendum: I did not want to bring to much info irrelevant to the question, but for sake of completeness I have to add that I now use a modified Denon 2910 as universal player. I sounds much better in SACD than the Pioneer 656. In CD sound it rivals the aqvox, but still misses the last bit of smoothness in the high frequencies that the aqvox provides. INstead the Denon sounds more solid in the lower frequencies, perhaps a result of the modification. Therefore, now I use the Denon as transport for the Aqvox to have the best sound. But, as I said, the transport sound difference is subtle at best.

Comment

• srinathalapati
              • Jan 2006

OK Folks, please please educate me. My gear is RSX-1055 and RDV-1060 and I have been listening to my CDs by connecting a Dig Coax out from DVD player to the RSX-1055. Are you folks saying I am not using the full potential of my super duper 1060? How else should I connect to utilize the RDV-1060 to it's fullest potential? Does this mean I won't be able to tell any difference between a crappy sony player versus the 1060?

The more I read this forum, the more I learn and the more I feel like an idiot

Thanks
              Rotel RSX-1055 Rotel RDV-1060 Tannoy Saturn S8

Comment

• karnaaj
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by srinathalapati
                OK Folks, please please educate me. My gear is RSX-1055 and RDV-1060 and I have been listening to my CDs by connecting a Dig Coax out from DVD player to the RSX-1055. Are you folks saying I am not using the full potential of my super duper 1060? How else should I connect to utilize the RDV-1060 to it's fullest potential? Does this mean I won't be able to tell any difference between a crappy sony player versus the 1060?

The more I read this forum, the more I learn and the more I feel like an idiot

Thanks
                If you connect your player via a digital coax or optical cable then you bypass the players internal dac's and use the dac's in whatever it is you have the player connected to. If you want to use the players audio processing you need to hook it up using the RCA output jacks and not the ditgital jacks. You will also need to use 2 cables instead of one.

Comment

• Club1820
                  • Jan 2006

So of these three components of which I have all three - does anyone know which has the better DAC?

pre/pro 1068, 1060 dvd, & 1055 CD Changer

Thanks.
                  Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• srinathalapati
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by karnaaj
                    If you connect your player via a digital coax or optical cable then you bypass the players internal dac's and use the dac's in whatever it is you have the player connected to. If you want to use the players audio processing you need to hook it up using the RCA output jacks and not the ditgital jacks. You will also need to use 2 cables instead of one.
                    Thanks! So I need to use the RCA (red+white cables). Does anyone think there would be any difference between the RDV-1060 and RSX-1055 DACs?

Thanks

Sri
                    Rotel RSX-1055 Rotel RDV-1060 Tannoy Saturn S8

Comment

• Vicente
                      • May 2004

Originally posted by srinathalapati
                      Thanks! So I need to use the RCA (red+white cables). Does anyone think there would be any difference between the RDV-1060 and RSX-1055 DACs?

Thanks

Sri
                      I have the rdv 1060 and rsx 1056 and I can tell you that for me, sound thru analog conexion is far much better that when I use it thru the digital one.

I just completed my HT with a 11" subwoofer (a secondhand old Focal JMLab sw27A from the Cobalt series) and started checking all the possibilities of DVD player and receiver.

Well, after calibrating the sw, I still prefer the music from the "bypass" option (no digital, no contour, no sw, just analog sound) to the only "stereo" option, where if I am not wrong the DACS from the receiver are being used.

And to take advantage of the subwoofer, I use the MULTI INPUT/EXT option and I think here is where I get the most of the equipment. Again if I'm not wrong the DACS from the DVD player are bening used.

I use Van den Hul D102 MKIII Hybrid cables for all analog conexions, two for the CD(stereo) output and 6 for the Multi input (5.1 analog output) and a The integration Hybrid for the digital conexion.

Try the three possibilities and probably you will find the one you love most. And tell us your preferred option....

Comment

• gianni
                        • Nov 2002

I will agree with what Vincente says and with what Nicholas posted earlier.

I have recently concluded about 50-60 hours over tha last month of listening time in my ht/music setup. At the heart - an old trusty Rotel RSX-1055 paired with a Rotel RCD-1072 with an analog connection thru the multi-inputs. As has been said here before and by various magazine reviews, the Rotel receivers do sound better through the analog inputs than using the internal DAC (the 1098 I can't comment on).

I was looking to improve 2ch performance. After all my reading, I was convinced by popular belief (marketing) that my 1055 being an AVR, left much to be desired. So, I went out and purchased $4,000 worth of quality 2 ch pre and amplifier. We're talking beautiful, dual mono top quality stuff here. Easily the equal of Bryston and that class of equipment when it comes to build.

Anyway, after putting the new 2 ch gear in my system, the result was - not much. And believe me, I did want to hear an improvement. Thinking this was not possible, I revisited speaker placement, room treatment, etc. Still, no difference. I then decided that the 30 seconds or so required to swap the components, was too long for my memory to accuratley compare the sound - I needed something faster.

The new preamp, has an AV pass thru or bypass feature. So, I got a second CD player, hooked it up to the RSX-1055 multi-inputs and ran the pre-outs to the new 2 ch pre-amp. Now, I connected the other CD player directly to the new 2 ch pre. This way I could instantly switch from the clean CD/2 ch pre/amp to the CD/RSX-1055 multi-in,preout/2ch pre/amp chains. This should easily show if the RSX-1055 addition to the chain was at all coloring or altering the sound. And yes, I did carefully calibrate the voume to be identical for both sources.

Well, after many hours of listening with various CD's of which I have 2 original copies, sorry to say - no difference. I listened for soundstaging, dynamics, timber, detail, focus, etc. The RSX-1055, as a preamp in analog mode was not a bottleneck to this system.

This setup would only allow instant comparison of the preamp sections and not of the two amplifiers. I reasoned there must be an advantage to the dual-momo amp. So I did rig a setup with identcal cables so that I could switch between the 2ch and RSX-1055 in about 20 seconds. After many hours of listening to these two setups, the only advantage I found of the dedicated 125w dual-mono amp was at very loud volume level - it was cleaner. Honestly , I could not ever listen at these high levels due to hearing damage and keeping the peace.

To be fair, my speakers are crossed over at 80hz to a sub, so someone with a full range demanding speaker, will likely benefit more from the dedicated amp.
                        At less than obscene volumes, there was no difference in dynamics, soundstage, timber, bass, image weight, nothing at all.

So from this lenghty test in my sytem, the RSX-1055 in analog mode, is not a factor in limiting 2 ch performance, it is sufficiently transparent. The 1055 75w amp section as used in my system gives up little to nothing to a quality dual-mono 125w separate amp.

I do believe that there are applications where the 2ch separate system will have advantages. For one, the flexibility of the pre with individual source level adjustments and other features is really nice for a purely music setup. Also, some speakers will undoubtedly benefit from more power, some needing significantly more than the 125w I was using. But in my system, with my medium sized room and relatively efficient speakers (BTW, they are 4 ohm and fairly revealing) the 2 ch equipment added little. Now if I were to run all 5 channels at once, the extra amp may have helped at loud levels. But as I said, I'm happy with movie performance. I was going after 2 ch improvements.

As I have read here, I can now understand why those of you with RSP-1066's and 1068's are happy with 2 ch performance in 2 ch mode. Perhaps sometime in the next 2 or 3 years, I'll do a separete 2 ch system in another room. Then I will go buy this amp and preamp again as I love the quality build and looks. I will also make sure to buy big inefficient speakers so I can justify them. For now though, they bring little to the table with extra cost and more sytem complexity if I were to incorporate them into my sytem in a HT bypass setup for 2 ch. Oh well, I guess that says alot about my lowly Rotel receiver. I'll just enjoy the great music and system simplicity for now.

I know many will disagree. This is what my ears tell me with this current setup. After all, I'm just following following the popular bit of advice - 'let your ears be the judge'.

As to the original poster, my experince says, use the RSX-1056 with a good CD player and analog connections thru multi or other analog inputs in bypass mode. (keep in mind the 1056 has different dacs, I believe. If they'll make a difference, I don't know. You'll have to try for yourself.) Speakers and room setup are really where the big gains are to be had, that is as long as your amplifier is able to properly drive them at required levels. It looks as you already have good speakers, you are well on your way. Enjoy.
                        Last edited by gianni; 20 March 2007, 18:07 Tuesday.

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
                          • Apr 2006

Originally posted by gianni

I have recently concluded about 50-60 hours over tha last month of listening time in my ht/music setup. At the heart - an old trusty Rotel RSX-1055 paired with a Rotel RCD-1072 with an analog connection thru the multi-inputs. As has been said here before and by various magazine reviews, the Rotel receivers do sound better through the analog inputs than using the internal DAC (the 1098 I can't comment on).

I was looking to improve 2ch performance. After all my reading, I was convinced by popular belief (marketing) that my 1055 being an AVR, left much to be desired. So, I went out and purchased $4,000 worth of quality 2 ch pre and amplifier. We're talking beautiful, dual mono top quality stuff here. Easily the equal of Bryston and that class of equipment when it comes to build.

Anyway, after putting the new 2 ch gear in my system, the result was - not much. And believe me, I did want to hear an improvement. Thinking this was not possible, I revisited speaker placement, room treatment, etc. Still, no difference. I then decided that the 30 seconds or so required to swap the components, was too long for my memory to accuratley compare the sound - I needed something faster.

The new preamp, has an AV pass thru or bypass feature. So, I got a second CD player, hooked it up to the RSX-1055 multi-inputs and ran the pre-outs to the new 2 ch pre-amp. Now, I connected the other CD player directly to the new 2 ch pre. This way I could instantly switch from the clean CD/2 ch pre/amp to the CD/RSX-1055 multi-in,preout/2ch pre/amp chains. This should easily show if the RSX-1055 addition to the chain was at all coloring or altering the sound. And yes, I did carefully calibrate the voume to be identical for both sources.

Well, after many hours of listening with various CD's of which I have 2 original copies, sorry to say - no difference. I listened for soundstaging, dynamics, timber, detail, focus, etc. The RSX-1055, as a preamp in analog mode was not a bottleneck to this system.

This setup would only allow instant comparison of the preamp sections and not of the two amplifiers. I reasoned there must be an advantage to the dual-momo amp. So I did rig a setup with identcal cables so that I could switch between the 2ch and RSX-1055 in about 20 seconds. After many hours of listening to these two setups, the only advantage i found of the dedicated 125w dual-mono amp was at very loud volume level - it was cleaner. Honestly , I could not ever listen at these high levels due to hearing damage and keeping the peace.

To be fair, my speakers are crossed over at 80hz to a sub, so someone with a full range demanding speaker, will likely benefit more from the dedicated amp.
                          At less than obscene volumes, there was no difference in dynamics, soundstage, timber, bass, nothing at all.

So from this lenghty test in my sytem, the RSX-1055 in analog mode, is not a factor in limiting 2 ch performance, it is sufficiently transparent. The 1055 75w amp section as used in my system gives up little to nothing to a quality dual-mono 125w separate amp.

I do believe that there are applications where the 2ch separate system will have advantages. For one, the flexibility of the pre with individual source level adjustments and other features is really nice for a purely music setup. Also, some speakers will undoubtedly benefit from more power, some needing significantly more than the 125w I was using. But in my system, with my medium sized room and relatively efficient speakers (BTW, they are 4 ohm and pretty revealing) the 2 ch equipment added little. Now if I were to run all 5 channels at once, the extra amp may have helped at loud levels. But as I said, I'm happy with movie performance. I was going after 2 ch improvements.

As I have read here, I can now understand why those of you with RSP-1066's and 1068's are happy with 2 ch performance in 2 ch mode. Perhaps sometime in the next 2 or 3 years, I will be able to do a separete 2 ch system in another room. Then I will go buy this amp and preamp again as I love the quality build and looks. I will also make sure to buy big inefficient speakers so I can justify them. For now though, they bring little to the table with extra cost and more sytem complexity If I were to incorporate them into my sytem in a HT bypass setup for 2 ch. Oh well, I guess that says alot about my lowly Rotel receiver. I'll just enjoy the great music and system simplicity for now.

I know many will disagree. This is what my ears tell me with this current setup. After all, I'm just following following the popular bit of advice - 'let your ears be the judge'.

As to the original poster, my experince says, use the RSX-1056 with a good CD player and analog connections thru multi or other analog inputs in bypass mode. (keep in mind the 1056 has different dacs, I believe. If they'll make a difference, I don't know. You'll have to try for yourself.) Speakers and room setup are really where the big gains are to be had, that is as long as your amplifier is able to properly drive them at reqiured levels. It looks as you already have good speakers, you are well on your way. Enjoy.
                          Gianni- thanks much for writing on your experiences- you have helped put my upgrade-itis into remission!

Comment

• greenjudas
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by gianni

This setup would only allow instant comparison of the preamp sections and not of the two amplifiers. I reasoned there must be an advantage to the dual-momo amp. So I did rig a setup with identcal cables so that I could switch between the 2ch and RSX-1055 in about 20 seconds. After many hours of listening to these two setups, the only advantage I found of the dedicated 125w dual-mono amp was at very loud volume level - it was cleaner. Honestly , I could not ever listen at these high levels due to hearing damage and keeping the peace.

At less than obscene volumes, there was no difference in dynamics, soundstage, timber, bass, image weight, nothing at all.

I do believe that there are applications where the 2ch separate system will have advantages. For one, the flexibility of the pre with individual source level adjustments and other features is really nice for a purely music setup. Also, some speakers will undoubtedly benefit from more power, some needing significantly more than the 125w I was using. But in my system, with my medium sized room and relatively efficient speakers (BTW, they are 4 ohm and fairly revealing) the 2 ch equipment added little. Now if I were to run all 5 channels at once, the extra amp may have helped at loud levels. But as I said, I'm happy with movie performance. I was going after 2 ch improvements.

As I have read here, I can now understand why those of you with RSP-1066's and 1068's are happy with 2 ch performance in 2 ch mode. Perhaps sometime in the next 2 or 3 years, I'll do a separete 2 ch system in another room. Then I will go buy this amp and preamp again as I love the quality build and looks. I will also make sure to buy big inefficient speakers so I can justify them. For now though, they bring little to the table with extra cost and more sytem complexity if I were to incorporate them into my sytem in a HT bypass setup for 2 ch. Oh well, I guess that says alot about my lowly Rotel receiver. I'll just enjoy the great music and system simplicity for now.

As to the original poster, my experince says, use the RSX-1056 with a good CD player and analog connections thru multi or other analog inputs in bypass mode. (keep in mind the 1056 has different dacs, I believe. If they'll make a difference, I don't know. You'll have to try for yourself.) Speakers and room setup are really where the big gains are to be had, that is as long as your amplifier is able to properly drive them at required levels. It looks as you already have good speakers, you are well on your way. Enjoy.
                            Interesting!

I have had the 1075/1066 combo for a while now and generally am very happy with it.
                            One day a mate of mine brought over his Rotel 2ch pre-amp[cant remember the model but was close to top of line about 8-10 yrs ago].We swapped the 1066 with his 2 ch pre and gave it a try.
                            What I found was that on well recorded cd's,that sounded very good with 1066,there was little difference by using the 2ch pre.It was when I played a cd that was somewhat bright and a tad thin sounding with the 1066,that the 2ch pre came to show its worth.There was more depth and generally a fuller,smoother sound that was lacking with the 1066. I must admit I was impressed when playing that particular cd,but generally there wasnt much/any difference, but I would have loved to have it a bit longer to fully try out my entire cd collection with it .

Comment

• bigburner
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Originally posted by kmckenn
                              I argue with myself on whether or not changing out the DVD player (or adding on a dedicated CD player) would make a change. On one hand I tell myself that it's merely playing the role of a transport for the 1056's DAC's, then on the other I tell myself its a cheap piece of junk! ;-)... So it is, I have brought my (self) argument to others with more experince in some of these details than my arguing self!

So, solely for the benefit of CD - 2CH - music listening, what opinions do you have of what would make a better CD - 2CH - music listening experience than what the Sony DVD (disc) player is doing now, if any?
                              Hi kmckenn,

I have a budget DVD player (Oppo 971) which I have improved by adding an external DAC (LFD DAC3). The Oppo and the LFD are both connected to my preamp (Rotel RC-1070) so I can do an immediate A/B comparison between the two. The difference isn't that great when you listen to each for a few seconds. However I do notice a big difference when I listen to a familiar DVD with the LFD external DAC. I'm aware that it's been a better listening experience. Basically it provides a richer sound. The lesson I've learnt is therefore to listen to a new piece of equipment for a protracted period rather than flicking backwards and forwards between the old and the new.

I also have a CD player (Rotel RCD-855) which has given me good service for many years. I now notice that I am using my Oppo plus external DAC for CDs too because that combination also provides a richer sound than my Rotel CD player.

I am therefore sold on the concept of a universal transport plus a quality external DAC.

Nigel.

Comment

• kmckenn
                                • Jan 2007

After a long absense, I stumbled back across this thread, and have relevant information to add to it, just in case it might be of use to someone else in the future.

Over a year later, I opt'd for a Rega Apollo for *CD* playback. Using the Apollo strictly as a "transport", feeding the DAC's in the 1056, the difference is S T A G G E R I N G ! ! ! When I committed to the Apollo, I had resigned to using it as a free-standing CD Player, with quality analog interconnects in Bypass mode. I (mistakenly) depended on the Rega's supplied interconnects as good enough to use (at least in the short term). Having only the (Mit aVt-3) Digital interconnect I had been using, I used the only reasonable connection I had... At this time, not having QUALITY analog interconnects to use the Class A analog output of the Rega to its potential, I am having a really hard time convincing myself that I'd not be better off upgrading the digital interconnect, and use the Apollo driving the 1056's DAC's... It is AWESOME! I am not talking a "subtle" difference at all, I am talking about a difference is large, that I almost cannot recognize some of the familiar tracks I have heard over the years.

Bottom line? "Properly fed". the DAC's in the 1056 are extremely good, and the Rega Apollo brings what information comes off the CD to a whole new level, whether it be by the digital or analog outputs of the Apollo.

Comment

• gianni
                                  • Nov 2002

Glad to hear you are enjoying the improvements gained with the new new player.

I would still get some decent interconnects and try the analog outs to the multi inputs - there may be more improvements to be had from your system. In my system, I always find them superior to the digital input. The 1056 DAC's are good but your Rega has other things working in it's favor as well. It's not only about the DAC's. Other components in the analog circuits come into play. It's an easy experiment. If you don't like it - nothing lost.

If you do try this, let us know what you think of bass performance compared to the digital connection.

Comment

• kmckenn
                                    • Jan 2007

This is only a very quick listening so far...

I made the analog connection by a well used, 2m pair of MIT/Spectral MI-500 Interconnects. (2, 1m pairs of the same, are used to connect the B&K ST202's "Vertical Bi-Amp" config to Vandersteen 2C's)

I can "A-B" just having the Digital and Analog outputs setup as 2 different devices. However, it appears the analog has a notable amount of more gain than the digital.

Initial Observations:

1) Not a "lot" of difference...
                                    2) It "may" sound as though the analog side is clearer? (may well be due to the more gain) Possibly hearing "more".
                                    3) The digital side seems to have a sharper "focus". So "sharp" it gives and EXTREMELY real sensation to the size, placement on the relative sound stage AND the placement within the environment ("studio", wall ambeince)

I'm sitting hear, realizing that what I am "saying" seems to be contradicting each other. "Perhaps" its the frequency range of information that is getting through on each. The digital, those almost intangible frequecies that are heard that the mind can focus on in terms of LOCATION. Where perhaps the analog side may be passing some of the common musical frequecies, but unable to pass those intangible ones at the same level of detail that the digital side is.

At this moment, I think I am leaning towards favoring the Rega Apollo as the digital source feeding the Rotel 1056 DAC's...... but, its EXTREMELY early in the game yet!

Comment

• soundhound
                                      • Mar 2004

Interesting how you catch the "gain" being distracting.
                                      I had played with different cd players, through a Bel Canto 2 dac, and had to pay careful attention to just that.
                                      After some time I came to realize it was the hotter signal that attracted me and the sonics at matched volume were not that different.
                                      I settled on a Wadia cd player to extract everything possible, and taylor the sound downstream with tubes.

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"