X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Desert Fox
    • Dec 2006

Finally got my RCD-1072!

I managed to snag an RCD-1072 to replace my old inoperable RCD-940BX...wooo!

I am now looking for suggestions from club members on continuing with my upgrading. I bought my original setup when I was 14 years old (about 1980). Here is my current setup:

Harmon Kardon PM 640i
    RCD-1072
    Mission 700 speakers
    Pioneer PL-200 turntable.
    Alan Snider
  • The Desert Fox
    • Dec 2006

Whaaat? No suggestions? I know that is a lame setup to start, but the just underscores the need for the upgrade.

I want to go with Rotel for my power supply, but am really not sure where to go for a turntable or speakers.

I used to sell Rotel in when I worked in the business in the late 1980's and at that time, Paradigm speakers were an affordable standard, and a Linn LP 12 or Rega turntable were the way to go (depending on you cash supply).
    Alan Snider

Comment

• jayhawk75
      • Apr 2006

you will need to decide what you are currently unhappy with,budget,2ch vs ht and direction headed but talking about turntables on a rotel forum isnt going to solicit much response. suggest you decide some answers to directions and move to proper forum or the moderator might be willing to help you out by moving this thread but again you are not going to get much response without budget and direction. sorry

Comment

• The Desert Fox
        • Dec 2006

Good Call.

Let's just focus on the power supply then. I am thinking I have about $2000-3000 set aside for this. I do want to stick with Rotel.
        Alan Snider

Comment

• Nick M
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

Well if you want to stick with Rotel and 2ch (rather than 5.1), you could pick up an RC-1070 Preamp and any Rotel 2ch amp that has sufficient power for the speakers you desire. I run a RCD-1072 CD-Player into a RC-1070 Preamp into a RB-1080 200Wx2 Amp then out to my speakers (Paradigm Signature S4's). If you opt for towers, you might want to find a RB-1090 (2x380W) for the transient headroom it provides. Problem is, the 1090 is no longer produced by Rotel (so you would need to look for a used unit).

My room is only 1700 cubic feet, so I prefer monitors and subwoofers. You need to find some shops and audition speakers to find out what you like.

Good luck!

~Nick

Comment

• The Desert Fox
            • Dec 2006

Thanks, Nicholas.

I have just snagged an RB-1080 power amp for $590. I am now on the search for the RC-1070 pre-amp. Looks like I will mirror your system.
            Alan Snider

Comment

• BlazeMaster
              • May 2004

hey nicholas, the blue led lights on the Rotel's matches the blue blanket that you got on, did you do that on purpose?

Comment

• Cactus
                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by The Desert Fox
                I have just snagged an RB-1080 power amp for $590.
                Incredible deal!!!! Congratulations

Comment

• Nick M
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

Fox - Great deal! Just be careful about what you choose for speakers though. Having lots of headroom makes for a better listening experience (personal opinion). With a RB-1080 I would stick with monitors or ultra-efficient towers.
                  -----
                  Blazemaster - Ha, I just noticed that now that you mention it. I love that blanket. It's microfleece and has a rabbit-fur like texture. My heat is included in my rent, but I'm someone that likes it cool. I usually keep my apartment around 60-65ºF. True New Englander... have Ketchup for blood! :lol:
                  ~Nick

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                    • Dec 2006

Argh

Boy, am I ever having a tough time finding an RC-1070 pre amp...

Looks like this will be the waiting game to complete my Rotel power supply.
                    Alan Snider

Comment

• gianni
                      • Nov 2002

Boy, am I ever having a tough time finding an RC-1070 pre amp...

Looks like this will be the waiting game to complete my Rotel power supply.
                      Try Upscaleaudio . In the left margin, click on demos. They have one for sale.

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                        • Dec 2006

I am kinda hoping for a silver finish to match the rest of my Rotel gear (but THANKS for thinking of me!)...

I am trying to be patient.

Nicholas, I am eyeing up a pair of Paradigm signature S4's like you have... I think you have great taste in audio.
                        Alan Snider

Comment

• voxy
                          • Jan 2005

Set a dateline so that you do not let your RB1080 lying around idling... Have you try JMlab Cobalt? They should match the Rotels since they are slightly analytical and the Rotel are more laid back.... but I will get a BW 603 or 704 to go with Rotel for the safest sound if you are worry about matching.

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                            • Dec 2006

My deal for the RB 1080 ended up being reversed over a problem with UPS not being able to deliver to my PO Box in the USA...

So, I am still on the lookout for an RC 1070/RB 1080 combo. Deep sadness.
                            Alan Snider

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                              • Dec 2006

oh no!!

Went to plug in my new RCD 1072, and found that my HK PM 640i will not even register a power light(?) The search for a power supply gets much more important.

Do you guys discourage plugging your CD player into the "switched" plug-in on the back of an amp?

I have found a guy right in Vancouver that has an RHB 10 and an RC 1070 preamp for sale for $2000 CAN..Should I jump on that?
                              Alan Snider

Comment

• chinets
                                • Jun 2005

Jump on it M8 !! Just hope it's in good condition ?
                                Cheers !

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Do you guys discourage plugging your CD player into the "switched" plug-in on the back of an amp?
                                  Technically if the 1072 is draws under the max wattage allowed by the switched outlet you should be fine, but most of the wiring and outlets on the back of most units are a little below par. You would be better off using a 12v power supply plugged into the switched outlet and running that to the 12v trigger.

Kevin D.

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                                    • Dec 2006

When I made the switch from with my CD players (Rotel RCD 940BX to my new RCD 1072); I simply changed all the connections, plugging my 1072 into the "switched" outlet on my HK PM640i. I had run my 940BX that way for years and things worked just fine. When I turned on the power to my amp it would then not even display a power light.

Could I have burnt my amp out in the process of this change?...and could I have now damaged my new RCD 1072?

Please help.
                                    Alan Snider

Comment

• Kevin D
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Oct 2002

Does the 1072 worked when plugged into a wall outlet?

Kevin D.

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                                        • Dec 2006

I DO get power from the wall outlet on both my old Rotel CD player and my brand new RCD 1072...
                                        Alan Snider

Comment

• Kevin D
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2002

Well that's good. I checked the manual for the 640 and didn't see any switched outlet fuses on the back side of the unit. There should be a at least one on the inside next to the outlets. Given the age of the uit, there's a chance one blew while swapping the power cords around.

Kevin D.

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                                            • Dec 2006

Thanks, Kevin...that's a load off my mind (I was freaking out and imagining the worst).

I should open the case to the HK integrated amp and check for a fuse next to that switch then, huh?
                                            Alan Snider

Comment

• The Desert Fox
                                              • Dec 2006

I will be checking out the RHB 10/RC 1070 combo when the guy gets back from Hawaii...I am poised to purchase it!

When I do, please direct me how to protect the units with my plug ins..what do I want to plug into what?/ or not at all...etc. I don't know anything about this 12V adapter thing..You'll have to fill me in on that.

When firing up or shutting down with a separate power amp/ pre amp combo; What is turned on first? and what is turned off last? I have no experience with this (total rookie).
                                              Alan Snider

Comment

Working...
                                              😀
                                              😂
                                              🥰
                                              😘
                                              🤢
                                              😎
                                              😞
                                              😡
                                              👍
                                              👎
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"