X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IntegrateMe
    • May 2004

CES News

Rotel Electronics, well-known for their affordable high-end audio and home theater components, plans to introduce a new five-channel surround-sound receiver at CES 2007 that offers a home-entertainment solution to those who demand a high level of performance and functionality without the expense of separate, multi-component home theater and multiroom audio systems. The RSX-1058 features 5x75 watts per channel, a high-performance video scaler for outstanding picture quality, four HDMI connections and the ability to play music simultaneously in four different rooms of the house.

According to Mike Bartlett, Rotel's Vice President and General Manager, "The new RSX-1058 is based on the proven design platform of the highly successful RSX-1057 receiver. The introduction of the RSX-1058 adds yet another level of sophistication and functionality, which makes it the perfect one-solution receiver for a whole-house entertainment system."

Important features integrated into the RSX-1058 include a high-performance video scaler that upsamples and optimizes all video sources (including, satellite, cable VCR and DVD players) for startlingly lifelike picture quality at up to 1080i resolution. Four HDMI inputs and one HDMI output provide advanced connections for newer source components and TV monitors. The RSX-1058 also has multiroom audio capability for homeowners who want to add music to up to four rooms of the house. Optional keypads and a power supply are available to remotely access the most used features of a FM Tuner, CD player, or other source component. Volume, mute, and on/off can also be controlled from anywhere in the house. In addition, the RSX-1058 incorporates a RS-232 interface to provide for software updates or remote computer control of the system in custom installation applications. An IR input can also be used as an alternative control option.

Availability: First Quarter 2007
    Suggested Retail Price: $1999.00
    Last edited by IntegrateMe; 06 January 2007, 15:55 Saturday.
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

Nothing said about being able to decode Dolby Digital Plus and TruHD via its HDMI inputs?

Dissapointing.

I hope this isnt a sign of whats to come with their next SSP.

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I doubt it. Word is the decoders boards needed for those are still too expensive for general electronics. Plus the 1058 has been in the works for a while now(before HDMI 1.3 was even approved).

I'm sure there will be some more items there, I'll let everyone know what I find (and what they'll let me say).

FWIW, the 1058 is separate from the 1057. Both will be available.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
        I doubt it. Word is the decoders boards needed for those are still too expensive for general electronics.
        They already exist in the currently available next gen HD DVD players. It cant add that much more to the cost of a SSP...an extra $100-$200 at the most?
        Is something else needed in order to add it to a SSP that im not aware of?

Comment

• nash
          • Mar 2004

I'd assume that means there will be no 1069 (or whatever it will be called) announced at CES? Bummer

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Vancouver
            They already exist in the currently available next gen HD DVD players. It cant add that much more to the cost of a SSP...an extra $100-$200 at the most?
            Is something else needed in order to add it to a SSP that im not aware of?
            If the processor had a DVD drive built in it would probably be that simple. Otherwise you get into the transfer and reception of the digital signal, which I believe adds the cost. Are there even any BD/HD DVD units that support full DTS-HD yet?

Kevin D.

Comment

• Nolan B
              Super Senior Member
              • Sep 2005

If the processor had a DVD drive built in it would probably be that simple. Otherwise you get into the transfer and reception of the digital signal, which I believe adds the cost. Are there even any BD/HD DVD units that support full DTS-HD yet?

Kevin D.
              I could be wrong, but I believe the current hardware can support it, but a firmware upgrade is needed. In reality DTS-HD is not going to be any different/better then TruHD since they are both lossless. I would happily pay for a new SSP that supported DD+ and TruHD only.

Even if its the difference between $2500 and $3500 new SSPs really need to start supporting these new formats. Perhaps you can get Rotels perspective on this specific question when at CES? LOL...let them know you know a guy who will buy one if they make it.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

I will definitely get their side of the story. I know the R&D and licensing costs are high, spread out over a smaller market share. It's the same with their DVD players, when they take the time and money to develop one of their own you wind up with a $2000 player that doesn't do everything a $1000 player can do. I can imagine it's cheaper to buy the chip, but the money/time to make a processor around it is expensive. The other solution is to buy a 'drop-in' board that's easily integrated, but is a lot more expensive then the just the chip.

Kevin D.

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

I doubt it. Word is the decoders boards needed for those are still too expensive for general electronics. Plus the 1058 has been in the works for a while now(before HDMI 1.3 was even approved).

I'm sure there will be some more items there, I'll let everyone know what I find (and what they'll let me say).

FWIW, the 1058 is separate from the 1057. Both will be available.

Kevin D.
                  What about accepting the decoded LPCM signal from the player via HDMI? Or is the HDMI still video switching/scaling only with no audio capabilities?
                  Jason

Comment

• apodaca
                    • Jun 2006

Will we get audio via HDMI or is it switching only? If it can at least receive decoded audio via HDMI then it looks good though a bit late.

Comment

• shadow 8
                      • Aug 2004

I am disappointed in the price. It still provides only five channels of amplification but the price has increased over 50% :E You add a decent Rotel two channel power amp and you are over $2,500. At these prices I will look elsewhere.

Comment

• azsyno
                        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by IntegrateMe
                        Rotel Electronics, well-known for their affordable high-end audio and home theater components.....
                        Anyone have a press release that would include all new Rotel launches? This can't be the only line update/new item to come in 2007... can it?

Thank you!

Comment

• BasementJax
                          • Jan 2007

re: press releases

Originally posted by azsyno
                          Anyone have a press release that would include all new Rotel launches? This can't be the only line update/new item to come in 2007... can it?

Thank you!
                          Hi all,

I'm a longtime lurker, and first-time poster. In addition to the rsx-1058 announcement, I found these press releases online....:

rve-1060 scaler
                          North Reading, MA–January 2007–Rotel, well-known throughout the world as an affordable high-end manufacturer of components for music and home-theater audio-video systems, has introduced the RVE-1060, 1080i video scaler, which seamlessly brings together analog and digital video sources. “Devices such as VCRs, cable-TV set-top boxes, and DVD players can all be routed simultaneously alongside digital video […]

*Anyone know if the rve-1060, is the same product as the rve-1070 that was never released, or is it a redesign?

rdv-1093 dvd player
                          North Reading, MA–January 2007–Rotel has been widely acknowledged for more than four decades as a leader in affordable high-end components designed for serious audiophile and home-theater fans. Now, in its 46th year, Rotel is proud to introduce their new flagship DVD player, the RDV-1093. According to Mike Bartlett, VP and General Manager for Rotel, “The […]

rc-1082 stereo preamp and
                          rb-1072 stereo power amp (100wpc Class D)

North Reading, MA–January 2007–Rotel Electronics, well-known throughout the world as manufacturer of affordable high-end audio and video components, has introduced a new high-performance stereo preamplifier, the RC-1082 and power amplifier the RB-1072 that are ideal for music and home-theater audio-video systems. Mike Bartlett, Rotel’s Vice President and General Manager says “With all of the excitement […]

Pictures of each are in the PDF versions of the press releases, but they're too large to attach to this post.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
                            • Apr 2006

RB-1072......very nice! Now wheres my 100x2 class D integrated with digital inputs and dedicated subwoofer output?

Comment

• mike c
                              • Dec 2005

if somebody can get pics of the new 1082 preamp ... please do post them thanks in advance

Comment

• gianni
                                • Nov 2002

No HT BYPASS on the rc-1082????

Comment

• EAmin
                                  • Aug 2004

Originally posted by gianni
                                  No HT BYPASS on the rc-1082????
                                  I was wondering the same. It doesn't look like it. Not sure why Rotel isn't doing this with any of their stereo preamps. Doesn't make sense.

Comment

• boe
                                    • Jul 2004

Hoping they have some stuff soon

Rumor has it from a Gizmodo release that Denon will have some stuff with DD and DTS on board coming out this summer. I'd like for rotel to have something out as I prefer to have options.

Comment

• miket
                                      • Oct 2004

There is no HT Bypass. The RC-1082 has tone controls with bypass and balance plus a front panel input for a portable MP3 player etc.
                                      I'm wondering whether this is the successor to the RC-1090 or something between the RC-1090 and current RC-1070? I ask because 1) Name .... it's not RC-1092 and 2) there are tone controls and no front panel display unlike the RC-1090.

Does anyone know if an additional pre-amp is in the works (e.g. RC-1092) or is the RC-1082 going to be the top of the range Rotel Pre for the forseeable future?

bye................mike

Comment

• Vicente
                                        • May 2004

Originally posted by BasementJax
                                        rdv-1093 dvd player
                                        North Reading, MA–January 2007–Rotel has been widely acknowledged for more than four decades as a leader in affordable high-end components designed for serious audiophile and home-theater fans. Now, in its 46th year, Rotel is proud to introduce their new flagship DVD player, the RDV-1093. According to Mike Bartlett, VP and General Manager for Rotel, “The […]

rdv 1093? Is this a joke? If you read the ecoustics link is exactly, almost word by word, what Rotel says in the homepage of the rdv 1092.

So, are we talking about a mistake (a 3 instad of a 2) or is there a "new dvd flagship" whom we don't know the specs?.

Please Kevin, can you check it at CES? Thanks

Comment

• Pez
                                          • May 2004

I wonder if any of the new rotel rec's and pre/pro's will have more than one multi-channel input? With that being the only way to get HD audio right now it will be interesting to see.

Comment

• aud19
                                            Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Pez
                                            I wonder if any of the new rotel rec's and pre/pro's will have more than one multi-channel input? With that being the only way to get HD audio right now it will be interesting to see.
                                            Or HDMI audio support.....?
                                            Jason

Comment

• Pez
                                              • May 2004

Originally posted by aud19
                                              Or HDMI audio support.....?
                                              HDMI audio support would be ideal instead of extra multi-channel inputs but if this next gen of audio products doesnt offer HDMI audio support for lossless audio than extra multi-channel inputs would have to do.

Comment

• calmac
                                                • May 2005

Originally posted by miket
                                                There is no HT Bypass. The RC-1082 has tone controls with bypass and balance plus a front panel input for a portable MP3 player etc.
                                                I'm wondering whether this is the successor to the RC-1090 or something between the RC-1090 and current RC-1070? I ask because 1) Name .... it's not RC-1092 and 2) there are tone controls and no front panel display unlike the RC-1090.

Does anyone know if an additional pre-amp is in the works (e.g. RC-1092) or is the RC-1082 going to be the top of the range Rotel Pre for the forseeable future?

bye................mike
                                                Hi Mike ,I totally agree , no ht bypass is a big mistake imo ,there must be a lot of folk like myself who sold their 2 ch pre because it was a pain to integrate into their ht/music system but would like the better sound quality of a dedicated 2ch pre.
                                                Gordon

Comment

• gianni
                                                  • Nov 2002

Originally posted by calmac
                                                  Hi Mike ,I totally agree , no ht bypass is a big mistake imo ,there must be a lot of folk like myself who sold their 2 ch pre because it was a pain to integrate into their ht/music system but would like the better sound quality of a dedicated 2ch pre.
                                                  Gordon
                                                  I agree...was waiting to see if Rotel would come out with a 2 ch pre with HT bypass. I want this feature so I'll have to forget about Rotel. I think this is a mistake on Rotel's part. This feature is becoming more popular and not just since yesterday...this trend has been gaining steam for a few years. Rotel can't blame their crystal ball on this one, all they had to do was open one eye. That, or Rotel is saying that the RC-1082 is not worthy of HT bypass - that is it is no better than their SSP's for 2 ch.

Then again, perhaps I'm ready for something of a little better build quality. Rotel's reliability has gone downhill the last few years. When a true Rotel fan like myself gets to this point, somebody at Rotel is not minding the store.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                                    • Oct 2002

Before I post my CES racap, let me say this. Most of the stuff Rotel has on display is not going to be released until March-April at the earliest. They are not final versions. So reguardless of whether the 1082 doesnt have bypass on it now or that it's not stated in the press release doesn't mean anything.

On the plus side, it is the replacement for the RC-1090 and several of them prefer the 1082's sound over it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• miket
                                                      • Oct 2004

Hello Kevin and All,

I'm a two channel guy who would like HT as an 'addition'. I really think that in the top of the range 2ch pre one of the main features should be HT bypass, encouraging the likes of myself to stick with Rotel and 'add' a mid-range surround sound processor whilst maintaining stereo sound quality. I think the RC-1082 should have this feature.

bye......................mike

Comment

• sarsi
                                                        • Nov 2004

Yes, full agreed with Miket. I too hope to get good Rotel two channel with HT bypass for my stereo, I previously end up hooking a Musical Fidelity A3.2 that actually come with a good HT bypass to my Rotel HT system. Somehow, I felt there is something amiss sonically and I end up unhooking the MF A3.2 and add the RB1092. I really hope there is one announce in the CES.

Comment

• gianni
                                                          • Nov 2002

Before I post my CES racap, let me say this. Most of the stuff Rotel has on display is not going to be released until March-April at the earliest. They are not final versions. So reguardless of whether the 1082 doesnt have bypass on it now or that it's not stated in the press release doesn't mean anything.

On the plus side, it is the replacement for the RC-1090 and several of them prefer the 1082's sound over it.

Kevin D.
                                                          Well, perhaps a glimmer of hope. As far as I'm concerned, no HT BP is a deal breaker.

Comment

• JDH
                                                            • Sep 2004

Yep no HT Bypass, thats why I purchased a Nuforce P8 2ch pre with the HT bypass feature over any Rotel offering.

Originally posted by miket
                                                            Hello Kevin and All,

I'm a two channel guy who would like HT as an 'addition'. I really think that in the top of the range 2ch pre one of the main features should be HT bypass, encouraging the likes of myself to stick with Rotel and 'add' a mid-range surround sound processor whilst maintaining stereo sound quality. I think the RC-1082 should have this feature.

bye......................mike
                                                            Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• aud19
                                                              Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Aug 2003

So no word on audio through HDMI support?
                                                              Jason

Comment

• blaznee
                                                                • Sep 2006

Bugger that I have to get rid of my almost new RSX-1057 so soon if I want the new HD audio formats.. I had hoped back when I bought it that I would be able to get an upgrade for it, but it seems we are out of luck :-(..

Can't wait to see what Rotel brings out Reciever wise with hdmi 1.3 and HD audio..

Comment

• remcoy
                                                                  • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Audiophiliac
                                                                  RB-1072......very nice! Now wheres my 100x2 class D integrated with digital inputs and dedicated subwoofer output?
                                                                  whoa.. you just described what I'm looking for too!

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Apr 2005

Nothing said about being able to decode Dolby Digital Plus and TruHD via its HDMI inputs?

Dissapointing.

I hope this isnt a sign of whats to come with their next SSP.

Those chip sets are not available today (for anybody) nor is HDMI 1.3
                                                                    you'll see them available in June...

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2005

I could be wrong, but I believe the current hardware can support it, but a firmware upgrade is needed. In reality DTS-HD is not going to be any different/better then TruHD since they are both lossless. I would happily pay for a new SSP that supported DD+ and TruHD only.

Even if its the difference between $2500 and $3500 new SSPs really need to start supporting these new formats. Perhaps you can get Rotels perspective on this specific question when at CES? LOL...let them know you know a guy who will buy one if they make it.
                                                                      Not available at any price... The SSP DTS-HD and truHD are not avaialble today

(I promise)

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                                                                        Not available at any price... The SSP DTS-HD and truHD are not avaialble today

(I promise)
                                                                        That is not totally the case

Onkyo showed a reciever with 4 HDMI inputs with the ability to decode DD+ TruHD and DTSHD via HDMI at CES..if im not mistaken. Yes today nothing is available but things are being anounced which is all I would like from Rotel.

Heck, even a player which decoded the next gen sound formats in itself would be fine with me. There are plenty of available machines which do so. Cost cant be the ssue becuase there are HD playes which do this that are much less then the new rotel upconveting dvd players.

Comment

• Pwoida
                                                                          Junior Member
                                                                          • Nov 2004

I read somewhere today(sorry can't reveal the source) that a company (Silicon Image I think it was) had just released two chips for HDMI 1.3 that supported the new audio formats, one the si25 was for the source end(designed to drop straight into tv's, not sure how that works as I expected they would go in source units but that's what the article said) and the si35 which is for receivers. The article then went on to say that there was also a receiver demo'd at CES that was using this chip. The article sounded like the receiver was also made by silicon image but that didn't sound right to me. But anyway it sounds like the receiver end of HDMI 1.3 and the new audio formats are now upon us.

Comment

• Pez
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2004
                                                                            • 472

Denon announced thier recievers would have audio support through HDMI and can decode the new surround sound formats. Not sure when they will be released.

Comment

• Ossi
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Jul 2003
                                                                              • 53

#39
                                                                              I gave up on Rotel waiting for an HT bypass since some time now. Instead I went with an Adcom GFP 750. Unbelievable, this unit has this features since years!
                                                                              While I really hoped they would do it once right and integrate this feature that has been asked since long not only in this board, we have to face that Rotel is not interested in what customer really wants or they forgot what is meant by having an ear to customers desires. Big let down! Get back to sleep Rotel :Z

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Nov 2004
                                                                                • 435

#40
                                                                                Perhaps the best way for Rotel to go would be to produce two different 2 channel preamps, one with ht bypass and one without ht bypass.

That way the 2 channel only users dont have to pay for a unit which would most likely cost considerably more with ht bypass.

Lets face it, there is a lot of competition out there coming from China etc and costs have to be kept down to compete and to make sales.

That is what Rotel seem to be good at, making units that perform to a high standard soundwise and yet are priced better than most of the competition.

I for one dont own a bryston pre with ht bypass because of the high cost.

Then again perhaps concentrating on producing excellent sounding processors that do both jobs well is much more cost effective, for both the buyer and Rotel?

That way you are not buying an expensive 2 channel pre and and also an expensive home theatre processor/receiver.

Since no 2 ch preamp with a bypass appears to be coming out, perhaps rotel have decided for us all that the seperate components are not warranted, cost wise or sound wise (no benefit) ? 8O

What do you guys think ?

Comment

• calmac
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • May 2005
                                                                                  • 110

#41
                                                                                  New pre

The problem is ,trying to design a pre/pro that offers the same performance as a quality 2ch pre is that itwould make the ht pre very expensive in terms of internal construction and shielding.Even very hi-end manufacturers still have separate dedicated devices.I don't think providing a pre with ht bypass would make the product much more expensive and I think a lot of Rotel owners like myself would then jump at the chance to maximise both 2ch and ht replay.Even if the consumer is a 2 ch only enthusiast at the outset adding ht at a later date if a far less painful experience with no sacrifice in 2ch quality just to have ht.Seemingly the designs for all the new components are not set in stone at this point ,so maybe it would be worth starting a 'petition' to ask Rotel to add the ht bypass.
                                                                                  Gordon

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2005
                                                                                    • 717

#42
                                                                                    That is not totally the case

Onkyo showed a reciever with 4 HDMI inputs with the ability to decode DD+ TruHD and DTSHD via HDMI at CES..if im not mistaken. Yes today nothing is available but things are being anounced which is all I would like from Rotel.
                                                                                    The unit Onkyo showed when launched will have those chip sets... today it's a box....

I think we could "announce" that everybody will have HD audio eventually... 8)

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                      Super Senior Member
                                                                                      • Sep 2005
                                                                                      • 1792

#43
                                                                                      Originally posted by Andrew M Ward
                                                                                      The unit Onkyo showed when launched will have those chip sets... today it's a box....

I think we could "announce" that everybody will have HD audio eventually... 8)
                                                                                      Denon also showed one..didnt they?

Actually, all I was hoping for form rotel was at least a box showing the intent.

Comment

• calmac
                                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                                        • May 2005
                                                                                        • 110

#44
                                                                                        Denon also showed one..didnt they?

Actually, all I was hoping for form rotel was at least a box showing the intent.
                                                                                        I think it's very early days yet with respect to all the HD stuff to expect small companies like Rotel to be introducing products .We haven't heard anything form any of the other quality companies , like Arcam , Linn etc either.Companies like Rotel always lag behind the majors with new technology but usually it's worth the wait in terms of sound quality.If we only had one HD disc format that had been released earlier I m sure we would have seen new products at CES, but with the relatively slow uptake of HD disc I think Rotel are quite sensible in holding off till the market for mid priced quality recievers and pre/pros supports the additional expense of incorporating the new technologies.
                                                                                        Gordon

Comment

• Nolan B
                                                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                                                          • Sep 2005
                                                                                          • 1792

#45
                                                                                          ^^^ The next generation formats are doing better then DVD did in its first year. I would say the next generation movie support is greter then DVD A and SACD (not by number of players but by support and growth).

With regards to higher end CE companies making anouncements Merridian has voiced support for HD DVD. So Rotel charges and extra 1k for a processor that supports it and release it in Q4. Is that such a big stretch?

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          😀
                                                                                          😂
                                                                                          🥰
                                                                                          😘
                                                                                          🤢
                                                                                          😎
                                                                                          😞
                                                                                          😡
                                                                                          👍
                                                                                          👎
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"