X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • audunth
    • Sep 2003

RSX1055/RSP1066 firmware

Hi!

As I still have my RSX1055, I'm really pissed off by the fact that Rotel haven't provided a firmware update since 2003 (V1.50/2.26)!! I remember a thread on this forum listing a whole lot of issues/bugs about the 1055/1066 that we hoped would get fixed in a firmware update, but I can't find the thread.

So is there someone here with connections to Rotel who can explain why they stopped making updates once new models came? Or point me to the right person in Rotel to contact?

I mean, I thought the whole point of being able to update the firmware ourselves were so we would be more future proof and WOULDN'T HAVE TO BUY THE NEW MODEL ONCE IT CAME OUT TO STAY UPDATED! I actually thought Rotel was one of the few companies that cared about us customers, not ONLY being after our money!
    Regards,
    Audun
  • Destruction
    • Dec 2006

Audunth,

Firmware updates are only updated as and when a fix or a particular feature is requierd/requested. What is it exactly that you require? Do you have any problems with your receiver?

If your gripe is with the introduction of HDMI and other HD formats, then I am affraid the current hardware cannot support it (extra bandwidth etc that is required), so software does not come into the matter.

I don't think Rotel would have had advanced information concerning the chipsets they would be using for HDMI etc, when these models were originally conceived 5 years ago.

All the best.
    8)
    Best regards,

Comment

• audunth
      • Sep 2003

I know that I can't expect new formats being supported and stuff like that, but we had a thread here with at least 10 or 20 small issues that probably would take a programmer 1 day's work to fix. And it was supposed to be someone from Rotel getting a copy of the thread. I'm just pissed off that as soon as a new model appears, they completely stop updating firmware for old models. They should at least continue until they've fixed most of the easy small things.
      Regards,
      Audun

Comment

• audunth
        • Sep 2003

Okay, here's the thread I was talking about: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=232
        Regards,
        Audun

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

I certainly can understand your frustration. When the 10 series first came out with the update port it was definitely touted as much more then a bug-fixer.

As a programmer I can appreciate that some things simple on paper might be very time-consuming to implement. Since Rotel doesn't make the DSP chips they are sometimes reliant on that manufacturers abilities. I know several items in that thread that were just not possible without changing out the DSP chip. The market changed drastically after the introduction of the 1066, with new formats, connection types, and new demands every six months, it's just more cost effective to roll things into new processors rather then spend time trying to implement things on older ones. With the higher resell value of Rotel, it's actually cheaper to change to a new processor then some other companies 'upgrades'.

I hadn't looked at that thread in a while, but I would have to say Rotel did take a look at it. At a quick glance I would have to say Rotel implemented 85% of the list on the 1068.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"