X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Surround Mode - Which do you use?

Hello. Someone else has a thread in the Audio Section regarding Prologic II vs Stereo for surround. I didnt want to hijack his thread so here it goes...

I just hooked up my Rotel system for the first time after a year & half (don't ask!) of finishing my basement. So now I am in the process of setting everything up and was wondering what surround modes everyone uses for watching regular tv?

Initially when just watching regular late night programming I dont really here any surround sound out of the rears. But I am just watching letterman, conan, etc. so there probably isnt any anway. The 1068 defaults to DLPII C when I have the tv on.

So, does it get better with other programs? Primetime shows, Sports events, etc? Its been about 6 years since I had a home theatre (again, dont ask!) and I do miss the surround sound when watching sports. Getting ready for the NFL playoffs (Go Bears!) and want to set up everything right for the games.

So which surround modes does everyone listen to and recommend for normal tv viewing?

Thanks in advance!

1068 pre/pro
    1095 amp
    1060 dvd
    1055 cd
    1040 line conditioner
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

What source are you using for TV? If it's regular cable, chances are they aren't sending the signal over in stereo. If it's mono, with PLII you're only going to get a center channel. You should be getting pretty good surround on Leno, Letterman, etc..

For me it's PLIIx-C on all video sources, PLIIx-M for all audio sources. Be sure to go into the setup menu and set up PLII-M. Just change the mode to M, then go to 'options'. Center width determines how much center channel you have, panorama determines whether it sends info to the rears or not, panorama determines the balance of front to rear.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
      • Jan 2006

Kevin, thanks for the reply. I actually may have had the rears too low as I had not yet set the levels. I purchased a Radio Shack SPL meter to set the levels and hopefully now will get more out of the surrounds.

Yes, I am watching regular Cable but I would have thought that they send the signal in stereo?

Anyway, I will take your advice and try PLIIx-M for audio. I guess you mean for when listening/watching music DVDs? Or concerts on TV? You dont mean for listening to cds, correct? I will go ahead and try this also.

I just received the Beatles Love DVD-Audio for xmas. Can't wait to set everything up and take a listen.

Thanks!
      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Club1820
        Yes, I am watching regular Cable but I would have thought that they send the signal in stereo?
        Regular cable will depended a lot on the local provider and the transfer system. Any digital channels will be stereo, but anything in the lower analog channels could be hit or miss.

Anyway, I will take your advice and try PLIIx-M for audio. I guess you mean for when listening/watching music DVDs? Or concerts on TV? You dont mean for listening to cds, correct? I will go ahead and try this also.
        Thanks!
        Nope, I meant for anything audio. Concerts, CD's, radio,etc.. Nothing against plain stereo, but for everything I listen to PLII sounds a whole lot better.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Nope, I meant for anything audio. Concerts, CD's, radio,etc.. Nothing against plain stereo, but for everything I listen to PLII sounds a whole lot better.

Kevin D.
          Kev, so how would you characterize PLIIx M versus 5 or 7 channel stereo? This is how I had planned on listening to cd's.

Comment

• Blindamood
            • Sep 2003

I'm noticing that a lot more shows lately are providing a Dolby Digital 5.1 signal, so no sound modes are necessary on my system (using Scientific Atlanta 8300HD cable box connect via coaxial digital cable). When ony two-channel is provided, I prefer DPLII - Music mode. I like the ability to spread the dialog across the front L/R speakers a bit, rather than concentrating it all in the center.
            Brad

Comment

• servicetech
              • Sep 2007

I leave mine on "Normal Surround". On mono sources the sound plays out of the center, on stereo and 5.1 sources all the speakers can be heard. For watching the news and other mono programming I'd rather have just the center playing instead of adding a bunch of sound effects.

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"