X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ac81017
    • Aug 2006

Rb 985??

Hello club Rotel!

I have next to no money, and I don´t want to put myself to shame! but, I have a surround system, sony 1070qs amp with B&W 602s3´s, lcr 60, asw750 sub! I feel that my Sony amp has the perfect sound for my ears! But, I would like to boost the sound buy getting an power amp! My sony is 6x80watts! :cry:

I´ve been looking at sony power amps, but then a friend said, for little money you should find a rotel, an old model called RB 985!

Does anyone own an rb 985, or has someone had one? could you tell me if I´m stepping in the right direction? :T
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

how much budget do you have?

Comment

• ac81017
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by mike c
      how much budget do you have?
      If the wife has taken all my money, I might have around £400-500 max!!

Comment

• deke
        • Dec 2005

I don't think you'll be dissapointed. The RB985 is rated at 5 x 100 watts all channels driven. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think your B&W 602s are rated for more than 120W.

I have experience with its replacement, the RMB-1075 which offers 20W more per channel, driving B&W 602s and love it. But it will probably cost you $300 more or so. The 985 would be a great alternative.

What will you be using as a preamp / processor?

Comment

• mike c
          • Dec 2005

that or a used 1075 will be great for your setup ...
          maybe even a new 1066 bridged to 3 channels

Comment

• karl_burns
            • Dec 2006

The 1075 is worth the money. It's about $750 (ballpark) or so used....
            Karl

Comment

• ac81017
              • Aug 2006

Originally posted by deke
              I don't think you'll be dissapointed. The RB985 is rated at 5 x 100 watts all channels driven. Unless I'm mistaken, I don't think your B&W 602s are rated for more than 120W.

I have experience with its replacement, the RMB-1075 which offers 20W more per channel, driving B&W 602s and love it. But it will probably cost you $300 more or so. The 985 would be a great alternative.

What will you be using as a preamp / processor?
              My Sony amp has pre-outs, I borrowed a rb 971 just to try the pre-outs on my Sony! Wooow what a difference!

Comment

• eelco74
                • Dec 2002

Hi there

I own a RB-985 MKII. I use it to power centre, surround, centreback and subwoofer. The front channels are driven by a RB-991. The processor is a RSP-1068.

In the past I have used the 985 in the same way as you are. But only I had a Denon 3801 amp. Altough it was rated at 7x100 watt, the difference was huge. I ran the Denon as a pre-processor and used the 985 as a amp.

Just get the 985. It is very reliable and a major upgrade on your current setup.
                Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
                Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
                Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• deke
                  • Dec 2005

I agree w/ eelco. If the budget is tight, get the 985. You can always get the 1075 when yet a newer generation of amps come out and you'll be taking less of a hit in the pocketbook when selling yours.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"