X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotel&energy
    • May 2004

Loss of center channel (RSX-1055)

Recently, I've had some problems with the center channel of my
    RSX-1055 (completely up-to-date firmware). When I run a test tone through each speaker in my system (5.1), all of the speakers sound normal except the center channel. I have to raise the volume on the 1055 to 70+ in order to hear any sound out of the center channel. At 70+ volume, the test tone
    through the center channel sounds very crackly and disjointed, not
    like the normal steady white noise of the test tone. I've tried to
    trouble shoot the problem w/ the following trials:

-Unhooked the center channel speaker and plugged the left channel
    speaker wire into the center channel speaker. It sounded fine.
    -Unhooked the center channel wire from the center channel speaker and
    plugged it into the left channel speaker. So the left speaker should
    have played the center channel material - no sound until I turned the
    volume up to 70+ and then it was crackly and disjointed.
    -Used the center channel speaker wire on a different channel (to make
    sure the wire wasn't bad) and got sound.

So, I've ruled out the center channel speaker, sources, and the
    speaker wire itself. That leaves me with the 1055. Another item
    to note is that when the 1055 is in Dolby Surround mode and I
    flip through TV channels the sound varies widely. Some channels I'll
    get all of the background music, but no voice other channels I'll get
    basically nothing. I reset the 1055 to factory default and tried the test tones
    again, still nothing from the center channel.

I opened up the unit just to see if there was a fuse blown. It is pretty complicated under the hood, but the fuses that I could see looked fine.

I don't know. Any thoughts before I send it in for service?
    Christopher
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

You've gone through everything I would go through. Sounds like it's time to call your dealer/Rotel. Another user recently had the center go out on his 1068 as well. I would set the center to NONE until you send it off, that should fix the bad sound on the dolby setting.

Kevin D.

Comment

• rotel&energy
      • May 2004

Thanks Kevin. I was hoping there was a simple answer, but I guess it'll have to go in to Rotel.
      Christopher

Comment

• rotel&energy
        • May 2004

Got the 1055 back, finally!

Well, I got the 1055 back. The dealer told me that Rotel service had to replace a circuit board, resolder all the amplifier connections, run diagnostics, update my software (I thought I had the latest?), etc. It is late, so I'll hook it all up tomorrow.

One thing I did want to mention though, Rotel threw in a new RR1050 remote! I sent the old RR969 in w/ the 1055 b/c one of the channel buttons wasn't working. Well, they sent me a new remote instead.

The layout is a bit different and certain sections are less cluttered and the plastic has a different texture. Any other changes/improvements w/ the 1050 over the 969?

The repair took awhile, but I appreciate a brand new remote, especially when the old one was out of warranty. Nice to see Rotel doing stuff like that. Little things like that make a difference for customers.

Chris
        Christopher

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

I've seen a trend for for minor firmware updates to come down and never get posted to the website. Sounds like the DSP board was replaced, not sure why the need to resolder unless it was something they've seen in a few and do it for good measure.

I think the RR1050 added some discrete commands that were not on the older remote. Nice thing they threw it in for you.

Kevin D.

Comment

• sirbogey
            • Mar 2006

Originally posted by rotel&energy
            One thing I did want to mention though, Rotel threw in a new RR1050 remote! I sent the old RR969 in w/ the 1055 b/c one of the channel buttons wasn't working. Well, they sent me a new remote instead.
            Lucky you! My remote broke and they were happy to send me a new one for £90, approx $170, incl shipping.. :M

Comment

• rotel&energy
              • May 2004

Rotel service suggestion

I've had to send in Rotel products twice for service. Both times the items came back fixed in a relatively quick and painless process. However, it would be nice if Rotel could send along a "what we fixed" list. This list would be similar to the receipt you receive from a automotive maintenance shop that details the diagnosis of the problem and how the fixed it, what they replaced, upgraded, changed, etc.

What I usually get is an explanation from my dealer that is a little lacking in detail.

Otherwise, I've been very happy w/ Rotel service and even more happy that they tossed in a new, upgraded remote.
              Christopher

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Every item we receive back from repair has a packing slip listing everything done. Perhaps your dealer is removing this before you pick it up?

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"