RC 1070 impressions (with other rotel components)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

RC 1070 impressions (with other rotel components)

Due to a warrenty issue with my 1068 I am left with a 1070 for a loaner. As an enthusiast I certainly see this as a "glass half full" opportunity to live with a new piece of equipment.

I have it hooked up to a 1072 and 1077. I have to admit I am surprised at how much better CD playback is with the 1072->1070->1077 then the 1072->1068 (in analog bypass)-1077. To me there is much more black around the individual sounds. I am not a great reviewer so my impressions will stop here, but I am left with a question.

What makes the "Bypass" mode better in some components then others (i assume the 1070 is bypassing all processing)?

Isnt a bypass just that (complete bypass)?

What would the 1070 have that the 1068 does not to make 2 channel better?

Is the 1068 engineered on purpose to not sound better then a 1070?

* this is not comparing the 1068 "stereo mode" to the 1070, but rather the 1068 "bypass mode".
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

Vancouver,

Unplug the 1070 and walk away slowly. You're entering dangerous territory.

Just kidding, but you are where I was a year ago.

I'm a fairly new owner of a 1068/1095 combo (18 mth) and it was the great performance of the 1068 in bypass mode that rekindled my interest in 2-chan. After experiencing the improvement bypass brought to the table I started to read up on what others were doing to have their cake and eat it too (2-chan & surround). Some maintained two seperate systems and some were marrying a 2-chan pre to their surround systems. The 1070 and 1068 can be made to work together with a little fiddling OR you can look into a 2-chan pre with an HT "pass thru". This allows you to have a dedicated 2-chan rig and with the flip of a switch enjoy your surround material using the same front speakers. I opted for the latter and couldn't be happier. Stereo = 1072»ModWright»1095»804S. Surround = Denon 3800»1068»ModWright»1095»804S, HTM1, & DS6s.

I can't explain all the technical reasons why the 2-chan pre sounds so much better, but it does. If improving stereo performance is important to you it's nice to know that you have options that allow you to continue to use the investment you've already made.
    Bluespower

Comment

• Nolan B
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Bluespower
      Vancouver,

Unplug the 1070 and walk away slowly. You're entering dangerous territory.

Just kidding, but you are where I was a year ago.

I'm a fairly new owner of a 1068/1095 combo (18 mth) and it was the great performance of the 1068 in bypass mode that rekindled my interest in 2-chan. After experiencing the improvement bypass brought to the table I started to read up on what others were doing to have their cake and eat it too (2-chan & surround). Some maintained two seperate systems and some were marrying a 2-chan pre to their surround systems. The 1070 and 1068 can be made to work together with a little fiddling OR you can look into a 2-chan pre with an HT "pass thru". This allows you to have a dedicated 2-chan rig and with the flip of a switch enjoy your surround material using the same front speakers. I opted for the latter and couldn't be happier. Stereo = 1072»ModWright»1095»804S. Surround = Denon 3800»1068»ModWright»1095»804S, HTM1, & DS6s.

I can't explain all the technical reasons why the 2-chan pre sounds so much better, but it does. If improving stereo performance is important to you it's nice to know that you have options that allow you to continue to use the investment you've already made.
      damn. I was kinda hoping someone would say I am hearing things and a Bypass in the 1068 is no different then the 1070.

Ok, I will bite. How can I best ad the 1070 to my current setup without adding anything beyond it.

The way I see it is if I want to keep the 1070 it has to be used seperately from the 1068 and I dont get how i can I have my L and R speakers hooked up to both my 1068 (for movies) and 1070 for 2 channel.

were you suggesting this as an option 1072-->1068 (bypass mode)-->1070-->1077? <---that way would add 2 seperate volume knobs.

What is the 1070 doing to make it sound better?

Comment

• calmac
        • May 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
        damn. I was kinda hoping someone would say I am hearing things and a Bypass in the 1068 is no different then the 1070.

Ok, I will bite. How can I best ad the 1070 to my current setup without adding anything beyond it.

The way I see it is if I want to keep the 1070 it has to be used seperately from the 1068 and I dont get how i can I have my L and R speakers hooked up to both my 1068 (for movies) and 1070 for 2 channel.

were you suggesting this as an option 1072-->1068 (bypass mode)-->1070-->1077? <---that way would add 2 seperate volume knobs.

What is the 1070 doing to make it sound better?
        Hi V, I saw you interesting post the other day but Christmas festivities got in the way of replying.
        I have the earlier pre/pro 1066 ,a 1072 and a 1080 ,driving a pair of dual concentric Tannoys.I upgraded to the 1066 from a 1070 to add multichannel to my system.Overall I prefered the 1066 as a stereo preamp to the 1070 as while there was a small reduction in sound stage width and depth I found the 1066 to have better PRAT (pace ,rhythm and timing) which made the music more fun to listen to for me in my system.
        As the RC1070 has no ht bypass mode it is impossible to integrate into you system without getting a reduction in transparency for all the sources connected to your 1068 and you have to remember to turn the volume down on the 1070 from it's 12"oclock (unity gain ) position when you go to listen to cd.
        I eventually sold my 1070 as while I could hear small improvements in some areas on balance the 1066 showed greater sound quality gains (with the above mentioned trade-offs) in stereo mode without the reduction in transparency for movies and multi-channel music and the potential for speaker damage if I forgot to reset the 1070 for stereo listening levels.
        My suggestion would be to save up a bit more money and get a quality stereo preamp with home theater bypass and then you will get improvements all round.
        Gordon

Comment

• Bluespower
          • Sep 2005

This was the reply I got from Geoff when I asked the same question.

"Yes you can though it is a little fidly. Basically connect the RCD-1072 to the CD input of the RC-990 and the RC-990 to your amp. Connnect the pre-outs for the Front L and R from your 1068 to a line level input on the RC-990. You will need to reclibrate your 1068 using the centre speaker and then set the L and R to 0 Db and then adjust the volume on the RC-990 to be the same using an SPL meter. Once this is done you can then always play stereo through the RC-990 and HT through the 1068, but with the RC-990 on and set to the line input with the volule calibrated to the setting you found. Sounds tricky but its easy once set up. Many people use this to get true HF stereo for their HT systems..."

So, by making a "history mark" for the 1070's volume control (and always setting it there when you want to use the 1068) you can balance your front speakers (in relation to your surrounds) using the 1068 level controls. Then you control the master volume using the 1068. When you play 2-chan, don't turn on the 1068, just use the 1070 by itself.

Like I said, I chose NOT to go this route, but it is doable. There are some good 2-chan pre amps out there with HT pass thru for not a whole lot more than the 1070. The ModWright I settled on is a tube hybrid that really makes me smile. Good luck...
          Bluespower

Comment

• petergaryr
            R.I.P.
            • Dec 2006

I originally had a RB1070 connected to a Denon 2805 and was using it mostly for 2 channel music driving a pair of Klipsch RF5s. I recently bought an RC1070 and connected it to the RB1070. The difference was shocking. I'm now getting ready to purchase the RCD1072. To my ears at least, a dedicated 2 channel system seems to work best for straight CD listening.

Comment

• NMG
              • Oct 2004

petergaryr, you are going to love the RCD-1072 :T

Comment

• sprout
                • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Bluespower
                This was the reply I got from Geoff when I asked the same question.

"Yes you can though it is a little fidly. Basically ..
                It was actually a reply to my post :rofl: but you may find the thread interesting :T

sprout

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"