X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • marano
    • May 2006

Rotel RQ-970

Anyone own or have any opinions on the Rotel RQ-970? I'm thinking about getting into Vinyl and will need a Phono Pre-Amp to hook up to my RSX-1057 and right now it is between the RQ-970 and the Pro-Ject Phono Box.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

I'm not a phono guy, but from what I heard the 970 is a decent preamp, but better can be had for the money.

Kevin D.

Comment

• marano
      • May 2006

Thanks, I think I'm going to go for the PRO-JECT PHONO BOX Mk2 instead

Originally posted by Kevin D
      I'm not a phono guy, but from what I heard the 970 is a decent preamp, but better can be had for the money.

Kevin D.

Comment

• eelco74
        • Dec 2002

Hi there,

I own a pro-ject phono box as well as a pro-ject 1.2 with ortofon X1-MC.

The phono box is a good pre-amp, but I am sure the 970 is a better choice. It has a better power supply and is less noisy. The Phonobox SE is on par with the Rotel, the Tube box even better. The warm tube sound is lovely and does tame down some of the more harsh cartridges.

But it all depends on you record player and the cartridge.
        Marantz AV8802, Marantz UD8002, Rotel RB-991 and RB985mkii, Rotel RD960
        Focal/Jmlab Electra 1028S, Electra CC, Electra SW1000S, Cobalt 705
        Pioneer KRL-37V, Epson EH-TW8100, Kinkping CES-180 77"inch

Comment

• marano
          • May 2006

Originally posted by eelco74
          Hi there,

I own a pro-ject phono box as well as a pro-ject 1.2 with ortofon X1-MC.

The phono box is a good pre-amp, but I am sure the 970 is a better choice. It has a better power supply and is less noisy. The Phonobox SE is on par with the Rotel, the Tube box even better. The warm tube sound is lovely and does tame down some of the more harsh cartridges.

But it all depends on you record player and the cartridge.
          The Phono Box SE and Pro-ject Tube box are a little more than I want to spend. I have been leaning towards the Pro-Ject Debut III or Rega P1 for the turntable but may splurge and go for the Music Hall MMF-5 with the Goldring G1012 cartridge.

Comment

• One_o_six
            • Jan 2007

An owner's POV

I had two RQ-970BX and I still have what was left from one. It has been deeply modified, but the main components have been kept. The RIAA equalization has been modified (http://www.vacuumstate.com/various/SP-15_Article.pdf), the MM/MC switch has been suppressed (it is MC only now), the 100 Ohms resistance have been suppressed, a power regulation transistor has been moved away from the RCA plugs, and many more. Actually, it will receive more accurate components one of these days.
            About the standard RQ-970BX, I have no overall complains about its MM performance, but in MC mode the 100 Ohms resistance just kills the sound. Removing it changes everything, and makes it sound much better.
            As most Rotel gear, the RQ-970BX is largely underrated. It is much better than most available phono stages, even beating lots of high-end stuff. This is, of course, only my personal opinion.

L8tr,

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"