X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmwuk
    • Mar 2004

RSX 972 Problems

Hello, it has been a while since I've been on this forum but I've continued to enjoy my RMB-1075 amp. My dilemma is that my friend who I am helping setup his system has a Rotel RSX 972 receiver that despite setting Video 1, Video 2 to various optical inputs, does not play sound. I know it is not the amp since I ran an analog input into the Rotel and got sound from the DVD player (listening to a CD). I am completely stumped and as you know the manuals for the 972 aren't the most descriptive. I am frustrated and need some Rotel help. Thank you in advance.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

If it's like the newer models, the analog section is separate from the digital section. Which means the digital board could be bad and it would still play analog sources fine. I'll check the manual later tonight to see if something jumps out at me.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bmwuk
      • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
      If it's like the newer models, the analog section is separate from the digital section. Which means the digital board could be bad and it would still play analog sources fine. I'll check the manual later tonight to see if something jumps out at me.

Kevin D.
      Thank you Kevin for your time. Basically, we kept on playing around and swapping wires and finally got the darn thing to play dolby digital, etc. Honestly, I repeated the same steps I was doing all day so I've got no idea what I did different.

Ok, that issue seems to be resolved, but now he has a humming issue. My first impression is that it is a grounding issue with the Rotel or the panamax power strip/console that he is using. Have others run into a steady, pretty loud humming coming from their speakers, most likely caused by grounding?

Edit: In reading and searching this forum, I see there's been issues with cable boxes, etc. He has a new HD Cable box from Dish Network. Since I'm not familiar with proper grounding, could you please walk me through proper testing to resolve this and how to? Again, the more I read, the more I'm realizing the steady hum from the speakers is most likely grounding.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

To check for a poorly grounded dish, just unplug the dish cable(s) from the back of the sat receiver. It could be a number of things, but most likely:

1) Dish
        2) power outlet for the sub vs the main unit
        3) power outlet for the TV vs the main outlet.

I would start at the dish, then unplug power from anything not connected to the panamax that is some how connected to the system.

Let us know.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bmwuk
          • Mar 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
          To check for a poorly grounded dish, just unplug the dish cable(s) from the back of the sat receiver. It could be a number of things, but most likely:

1) Dish
          2) power outlet for the sub vs the main unit
          3) power outlet for the TV vs the main outlet.

I would start at the dish, then unplug power from anything not connected to the panamax that is some how connected to the system.

Let us know.

Kevin D.
          And if it is the dish, what to do? And if it is the sub, what to do? I did disconnect the sub cable from the receiver during the hum and it continued. All equipment is plugged into the panamax.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

If it's the dish, grounding the physical dish to an electrical ground usually works.

You might have to unplug everything from the 972 except for the speakers and add the components and wires back one by one to narrow it down.

Kevin D.

Comment

• audiofiliac
              • Jan 2007

Hi bmwuk
              Sorry, I'm not able to help with the humming issue but just wondering if you have resolved the problem?

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"