X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mike Rivera
    • Dec 2006

1057 setup questions

I am about to pull the trigger on upgrading my Denon 3600 A/V receiver (which is starting producing some static-like noise in a surround channel) with a Rotel 1057.

I'm a big fan of Rotel as it powers my downstairs 2-channel "separates" system (Rotel 1090 amp, Accurus Pre, Dynaudio speakers with B&W sub, Rotel 971 CD, etc.). I love the Rotel's clean power (and lots of it)!

This new Rotel 1057 A/V Receiver will be replacing the Denon in our bedroom. Currently the system is a 42" HD plasma, HD DVR Cable (Comcast), and Cambridge Soundworks Satellite Speaker System including their Powered Sub (it was the best models in their line-up back in 1996 and still in perfect condition).

Question #1: I'm thinking of using component connections (instead of the DVI available on my plasma and DVD player) since I've found the quality is pretty comparable and I'd prefer not to have to switch inputs on the plasma when I watch DVD's versus other sources (and for my wife, who has trouble with the complexities of an A/V system). Also, I can't use the Rotel’s On-screen menus with a DVI-only connection. Any thoughts?

Question #2: I know the speakers are far from state-of-the-art, but I've had them for years and they seem fine for HD TV and DVD's in our bedroom (about 20' x 20'). If I want really good music, I can go downstairs. Which setting do you recommend on the Rotel for this type of satellite speaker system? The fronts have a separate tweeter and separate midrange enclosures, and they're full-range (as much as this system can be). I would guess the settings would be Large Front, Small center and surround speakers, and Subwoofer, however the manual mentions some systems would get "cleaner" sound if you set all the speakers to Small and let the Powered Sub handle all the low frequencies. Any comments?

Thanks in advance.

- Mike
  • adamd123
    • Aug 2006

#1. I did this same thing despite having HDMI ready components I actually prefer component for a few reasons such as the on screen display, and like you I did not want to have to change inputs on the TV for each component. Another problem that I have with the 1057 is the fact that it will not take audio over HDMI, so I really don't see the point in using it (unless that is your only option). Unfortunately this also means that it will not support the new DD TrueHD and DTS HD formats over HDMI.

#2. Generally (from what I understand) you only want to use the large setting if your speakers have built in subs as it overrides the crossover settings for that speaker. Where you have satellites and a separate sub I would definitely use 'small' for all speakers then set their crossovers individually.

-Adam

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"