maximum Dolby digital Bitrate supported by rotel?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basementjack
    • Dec 2004

maximum Dolby digital Bitrate supported by rotel?

Looking in one of my HD-DVD's the case says it has Dolby Plus? (Can't remember the exact wording) anyhow it said that max bit rate for plus was 1.5 mbits/sec vs what I think is a 480 or 640k cap right now.

Does any one know the max bit rate a rotel will take? Any possibility of a firmware update?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

DD+ and DD-HD are two new formats. They have to be decoded by the player or sent over HDMI 1.3 to a pre/pro that can decode it.

So no Rotel will decode the signal (nor 99% of everything else right now). You'll have to wait until new models to get HDMI 1.3 connections. Most HD-DVD players should support decoding of it, which you can then run to your multi-channel inputs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Destruction
      • Dec 2006

Hi basementjack,

Kevin is correct.

The maximum data rate for the AC3 standard is 640 kbit/s, however for standard DVD's the maximum data rate permitted for Dolby Digital is suposed to be 448 kbit/s, hence current Rotel processors will only decode 448Kbps, which is required for the Dolby licence agreement.

Unfortunatley there are no software upgrades available as the hardware cannot support the HD bandwidth.

Best regards,

Comment

• Blindamood
        • Sep 2003

Yeah, unfortunately I found out about this limitaion when I tried to play the 640 kbit/s option available on Pink Floyd's "Pulse." Would not decode in my player, or in my processor ( RSP-1068 ).
        Brad

Comment

• Ferry
          • May 2003

Strange my RSP 1098 works perfect with DD at 640 kb/s!!!! :T

Comment

• Destruction
            • Dec 2006

Strange my RSP 1098 works perfect with DD at 640 kb/s!!!!
            That would be strange, since none of the current Rotel processors support 640 Kbps. :E Maybe yours is unique.

Best regards,

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

I have the 1098 too and I played that Pink Floyd album at 640 kb/s and it did not work at all!! Only worked on the 448 kbit/s.

Yes, I believe you must have a customed built 1098 ONLY made for you to play the 640 kbit/s you are talking about. How unfair and strange that your 1098 is the only unique player in the world that supports the 640 kbit/s!! Tell us where you got that Magic Rotel 1098 please!! We are curious here and all want to know???

Cheers and congrats on that Unique processor!

Comment

• wheelz7
                • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Ferry
                Strange my RSP 1098 works perfect with DD at 640 kb/s!!!! :T
                It depends on the dvd player I can play the both the 448 and 640 versions on 2 dvd players in the lounge room thu my 1068 altho it shows up as 448 on the front display so i guess the dvd players (yam 540 & pioneer 540h -R) convert the 640 version to 448 (i also can't hear a difference between the 2)but the 2 dvd players in the bedroom only one plays both the 640 & 448 versions and the other only plays the 448 audio

Comment

• Ferry
                  • May 2003

I use a Sony DVD player and a PC, conected with a coax cable and have no problem playing the 640 kb/s track. But with the an old Panasonic player, nada...

The 1098 shows no meta-data about the bitrate, nut there is sound at 640 kb/s...
                  and the Sony shows it uses the 640 kb/s track.

Comment

• buzznwood
                    • Feb 2003

I nomally spend most of my time on this forum reading the posts, however I've sent 640kbs streams from my computer to my rsp-1098 without a problem (unless I encoded the stream wrong ).

The tech specs for a decoder have always been 640kbs, I can't see how rotel would have been allowed to make one that doesn't support 640kbs. So there should be nothing special about Ferry's rsp-1098, 640kbs should also work on the rsp-1068. D-VHS after all uses 576kbs and D-VHS players where out long before the rsp-1098/68.

Now DVD has the maximum of 448kbs and from what I was aware there was nothing in the tech specs for DVD players to decode or pass through anything higher. It would seem that the sony player that Ferry has works with the higher bit rate, it would be interesting to see which players do and which ones do not.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"