X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Andrew Pratt
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Rotel update

I just talked with Tim Wyatt form Rotel about some of the issues we've raised today and got some answers that might interest you folks.

First they are very appreciative of our feedback to them so please keep it coming and please add any requests you have in the "wish list" thread so its all in one place.

Ok according to Tim the Rotel 1066 currently does have a double bass problem in that the 6.1 inputs does have bass management turned on so if you say that you have small speakers then the LFE channel will be active and thus will get a signal. Unfortunatly the mains will also get a full range signal regardless of you setting them to small. The work around for this is to set the LFE level to its lowest level in the menu for that input..not great but they're aware of the problem.

We spoke briefly about the 10 mhz component inputs and they claim they'd had clients use them for HDTV w/o loss but I'm skeptical at best on this one...again they are aware of the problem and maybe it will be addressed in the 1066's big brother that was hinted at before.

With regard to requesting information on what's being updated in the firmwares Tim said that as of yet these have only been to address minor tweaks and there isn't any documention on them yet. They are working on a software package to replace HyperTerminal so that should be available by the time they release the real firmware upgrade (no idea on time frame for this) I know a little about VB and started to look at what it would take to program my own app so if any VB coder out there wants to lend a hand please let me know.

• Legairre
    • Jan 2002

Andrew are you saying the 1066 code is open source and written in VB? If so I'm your man. 12 years in software engineering. Everything from Java, VB, C, C# etc. Just send me the code .

I feel like I just applied for a job. Do you need my resume. :LOL:

"What do you mean it's too loud? My ears aren't even bleeding yet!"
    Radden Home Theater
    Radden Home Theater

Comment

• mml7
      • Jun 2002

Originally posted by Legairre
      Andrew are you saying the 1066 code is open source and written in VB? If so I'm your man. 12 years in software engineering. Everything from Java, VB, C, C# etc. Just send me the code .
      God help us all if the code base is VB! Doesn't Microsoft own VB? Doesn't that, by definition, make it closed source?

mike

Comment

• efarstad
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jun 2001

Legairre,

Please tell us what was the most difficult decison you made?

What would you say your strengths and weakness are?

When confronted by a difficult situation or person what do you do?

How would you describe your communication skills?

How would you rate your technical writing ability?

What does this look like to you?

Thank you for coming, we'll be in touch!

:P

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
        E-Cinema

Comment

• Kevin P
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Legairre
          Andrew are you saying the 1066 code is open source and written in VB? If so I'm your man.
          What Andrew meant is you can write a program in VB that will download the Rotel-provided firmware updates into the 1066 via the serial port. The firmware itself isn't in VB. Andrew came up with the VB idea as an alternative to using the clunky Hyperterminal to communicate with the pre-pro for firmware updates. It appears that Rotel is working on a solution for firmware updates anyway, so even the VB solution won't be needed in the long term.

If you have a terminal program with scripting capability (e.g. Procomm Plus, does that still exist?) you could create a firmware updater using the scripting language. You don't even need VB. It's a shame that the Hyperterminal that comes with Windoze doesn't support scripting. Maybe a commercial, full-blown version exists that does.

KJP

Official Computer Geek and Techno-Wiz Guru of HTGuide - Visit Tower of Power
          My HT Site

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Right I was only trying to replace Hyperterminal with a little VB app. I started looking at what it would take and even built a simple GUI but my skils aren't strong enough yet to figure out mscomm32.ocx...if anyone wants to help me let me know since I'm sure Rotel wouldn't mind if we came up with a solution for them

Comment

• Legairre
              • Jan 2002

OK so you just want a better front end. That can be done.

Guys check this out. I sent Rotel an email Saturday asking them where I could get an upgrade cable and included my address at the bottom of the email. What shows up today via UPS? The upgrade cable free of charge. The shipping address was from Equity Inc. in North Reading MA.

Man do I love Rotel Upgrades, great products and now when I simply ask for info. They send me a FREE upgrade cable. 8)

Here's the email address I sent my letter to. I got it off Rotel's site.

tmclellan@equityaudio.com

Radden Home Theater
              Radden Home Theater

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

Yup it seems my connact with Rotel works for Equity Audio so I assume they are some sort of distributor for Rotel. Glad you got a free upgrade cable.

Comment

• efarstad
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jun 2001

I got the free upgrade cable too...it's in route right now! Equity is their marketing and technical support arm...they also serve B&W speakers!

Great folks there indead! :T

E

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

The Norwegian A/V Nut!
                  E-Cinema

Comment

• mml7
                    • Jun 2002

Originally posted by efarstad
                    I got the free upgrade cable too...it's in route right now! Equity is their marketing and technical support arm...they also serve B&W speakers!
                    That's also why one reason why most Rotel dealers are also B&W dealers.

mike

Comment

• brianca
                      • Jun 2002

Hey guys,

I wanted to get a little more info on the double bass with the 1066. I did this test which I posted over in the outlaw forum thread, but that's probably not the best place to have this conversation. I do commend them for allowing it though!

source was the Fleetwood Mac Rumors DVD-A. The bass line right at 3:00 into track 7 'the chain'.

1) Mains set to large, DVD-A in stereo mode - No Sub
                      2) Mains set to small, DVD-A in stereo mode - No Sub
                      3) Mains set to small, DVD-A in multi-channel mode - Sub Active

Based on that, I do not thing that I have bass management on the stereo inputs of my 6.1. Could one of you who is having this happen post the test that you're using to confirm so that I can try to reproduce on my system?

brianca
                      brianca

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

welcome to the guide brian! I'm going to be in and out all next week but I'd like to see what my rotel is doing wrt bass management on its 6.1 inputs.

Comment

• brianca
                          • Jun 2002

Thanks, man. I'm very curious to see what others are seeing with this.

Surely, someone else can try this out and let us know what you hear??

brianca
                          brianca

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

I posted the latest firmware (1.43) on my site if anyone wants it....err just got told its not for public consumption just yet ops: I'll hold off posting it till I get the go ahead...

Comment

• hanser
                              • May 2002

So, has anybody found something new about the alleged bass management/Double bass on the Rotel?

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2000

hanser damn I knew there was something I was supposed to test..I just haven't had time.

I just thought I'd also though out a little tid bit of info...Rotel is working hard on the 1066's big brother due out this fall/winter so most of their development time is being spent there...though I've been told there will still be some 'significant' updates for the 1066 this fall but I can't say to much more about then...at least not yet

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

but I can't say to much more about then...at least not yet
                                  Then what good are ya? :LOL:

Lex
                                  Doug
                                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"