X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adamd123
    • Aug 2006

1057 Issues Shocking Issues (Literally)

I am having a few problems with my 1057.
    1. It randomly resets itself. Does not turn all the way off, but the Signal type will reset (for example Dolby Digital will roll across the screen) while we are watching a movie or tv.

2. Every time I touch it, it shocks me. I have tried a few different power strips (currently have the Monster Cable Home Theatre POWERBAR® 2100). And every time it shocks me it has the same issue as posted in #1 (sound signal resets but nothing else)

Right now I am using Optical for everything (I wish Rotel would make a receiver/processor that would support audio of HDMI)

Any one else have any issues like this? Any suggestions on what it might be?

-Adam
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

get it fixed

Comment

• shadow 8
      • Aug 2004

More to the point, if it shocks you, its grounding is probably screwed up which makes it dangerous to you and anyone in your house, since any ungrounded electrical device is both a shock and fire hazard. UNPLUG AND TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Doesn't have to mean the grounding is messed up. We often get reports during the winter months of units shocking you. The cool dry weather makes static build up a lot easier to come by. This gets discharged when you touch it. So it's actually you shocking the 1057.

Now, if you can just stand there and get shocked multiple times in a row, every time you touch it; that's different and needs to get looked at.

You can get a humidifier for the room to reduce the build up of static electricity, or touch something else metal before your touch the Rotel as it does not like the charge.

What's your TV source? Anytime the digital signal drops out you will get the mode scrolling back across the screen. I know several of the Directv TIVO receivers have known issues with digital sound drop-outs.

Kevin D.

Comment

• adamd123
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
          Doesn't have to mean the grounding is messed up. We often get reports during the winter months of units shocking you. The cool dry weather makes static build up a lot easier to come by. This gets discharged when you touch it. So it's actually you shocking the 1057.

Now, if you can just stand there and get shocked multiple times in a row, every time you touch it; that's different and needs to get looked at.

You can get a humidifier for the room to reduce the build up of static electricity, or touch something else metal before your touch the Rotel as it does not like the charge.

What's your TV source? Anytime the digital signal drops out you will get the mode scrolling back across the screen. I know several of the Directv TIVO receivers have known issues with digital sound drop-outs.

Kevin D.
          The weird thing is that I have had this issue with a couple of sources (PS3, XBOX 360, and Comcast DVR box).

It may be that I am shocking the receiver because it does only happen the one time (Pretty much 90% of the time I turn it on). But every time it shocks me (or I it) the sound mode scrolls across the screen, but it does not seem like the receiver resets itself, which is the same thing that happens at random while watching TV, or playing a game. Do you think there is any correlation?

Thanks again
          Adam

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

So, are we talking static electricity charge here, or a continuous type charge? Static charges are frequently generated in winter months as mentioned, and I believe it can be tied to humidity levels in your home combined with heat as well...

However, if you have a serious ground issue, then it could be a component, but if it's happening with several items, then this would point to a whole house ground break of some kind, possibly your earth ground that most all homes have a ground wire strapped to a rod going into the ground outside your house. Could be under house I suppose.
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• EastCoaster
              • Jan 2006

Originally posted by shadow 8
              More to the point, if it shocks you, its grounding is probably screwed up which makes it dangerous to you and anyone in your house, since any ungrounded electrical device is both a shock and fire hazard. UNPLUG AND TAKE IT TO THE DEALER!
              I once fried a Rotel DVD player just by touching it at the dealer's. The static electricity snap was immediate. The dealer just shrugged and said to me that all his Rotel equipment gets fried on a regular basis, and that is one of his reasons not to typically recommend Rotel... Go figure.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by adamd123
                The weird thing is that I have had this issue with a couple of sources (PS3, XBOX 360, and Comcast DVR box).

Thanks again
                Adam
                So all the optical sources will drop signal.. How often does it happen? If it's often, do you have the same type of optical cable on all three? If not you might want to contact Rotel and see what they think.

Kevin D.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"