Has anyone's center channel ever "gone" on them?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kyle
    • Jan 2005

Has anyone's center channel ever "gone" on them?

A little background here.

I've owned this RSP-1068 for almost 2 years now. About 6 months ago, my center channel more or less stopped working.

I checked my amp, checked my cabling, checked my settings, everything as fine. If i went into the test tones, and cranked the volume way up, I could hear the tone (faintly).

I said meh, and disabled the center channel in the menu. It sounded OK, but obviously I wasn't happy with not having a functional center channel.

A few months later I went to turn the unit on, and it wouldn't power on. I had the unit sent back to Rotel, and it was gone for over a month. It came back and everything was fine.

Fast forward 2 weeks ago to yesterday. I am watching TV, and realized I had the volume at 75 because I couldn't hear any dialog. I went into my test tones and the unit is doing the same thing it did prior to me having it repaired.

I've written Rotel technical support asking if this is a known issue, as I am a little peeved that it has gone bad on me weeks after I got it back from repair (and having to spend $100 on shipping to/from the nearest repair center).

I am running 1.2.5 (upgraded at the factory), and am starting to become a little disenchanted

Does anyone have any ideas? I'm certain the cabling, amplifier and speaker are fine, because when the unit WAS working well after it returned from repair.
    My gear
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

I have no ideas, but I can offer my sympathy to you. Whiting 3 years, I had a major break on RSP-1066, only solved with a new processor board. And my RCD-1070 had already to breaks, one of them solved with a new laser unit and the last, they still investigating (a strange random noise like “fssssssssssssss…” while playing CDs. :M

I’m sure that Rotel support will solve all your problems. Be patient, I waited 8 months for my RSP-1066 fixing. ;x(
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

• PewterTA
      • Nov 2004

Most likely what they did was upgrade your firmware and that fixed the center channel problem. However, now the board has an issue and has possibly died on you. From working with and in the electronics field, it's possible to see one thing fix a certain issue and have that same piece you "thought" you fix, actually die out completely and have to be replaced.

Most likely they will just replace the entire board for you and then you shouldn't have any problems.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though...I know what a pain that can be.
      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
      -Dan

Comment

• Kyle
        • Jan 2005

Well, Rotel got back to me. They suggested I do a factory reset (laugh), and if that didn't work, that they would ship me UPS prepaid labels to return it for expedited repair (yay).

Looks like after Xmas I will be DSPless again.
        My gear

Comment

• TimGRA
          • Feb 2004

Kyle,

I know exactly what you are talking about and this is a fairly common (unfortunately) thing with the 1068.

Mine did the same thing and I spoke with Rotel. The center and sub channels some how run of the same board internally. They did narrow that down and did a factory reset. Problem solved!

Write down your settings and give it a shot. Nothing to lose. It worked for me.

Merry Christmas

Comment

• Kyle
            • Jan 2005

Update: As expected, the factory reset did not fix my issue. However, the rep I have been dealing with at Rotel has been very helpful, and had UPS labels for me to ship it back for an "Expedited" repair to me w/in an hour of me asking to send the unit in.

As much as it pains me, I disassembled my rig and have it waiting for the UPS man

You mentioned that there was a single board that handles center and sub channels, but I am subless, so I couldn't verify that it was in fact that board. But, since this is the same issue I ran into before, I'm guessing that Rotel fixed whatever was causing my unit to not power on, but perhaps didn't replace the board that is acting flaky.

Oh well, I suppose we'll find out. I'm hoping the expedited repair is quick, last repair took a month door to door.
            My gear

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"