X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

DTSnot

I had bought a used DVD, ‘Black Hawk Down’, a while ago, and just watched it last week. When I put it in, I noticed it had the DTS option in the audio set-up. This was the first time I had the opportunity to use DTS through my RSP-1066, so I tried it out. I selected the DTS option on the DVD, and the played the movie.

As soon as it started, Dolby ProLogic II came up on the OSD. I tried to select DTS from the remote and the pro-pro front panel, but it always defaulted to Dolby.

I don’t run a center channel or a sub (yet) as I am still evolving my 2 ch set-up, but I know if that would prevent DTS from working. Oh, and yes, my DVDp has the DTS icon on the front, but the player itself may have some issues (hope to have an Oppo soon).

Am I doing something wrong, as in my 1066 set-up?
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

It sound like it's a DVD player problem since the type of Digital audio stream is determined by what the DVD player sends out.

Does your DVD player have a "DTS out" logo?

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Sim reality
      Does your DVD player have a "DTS out" logo?
      And even if it does, 90% of the players I've set up need to have the DTS digital out enabled. Should be in the setup menu. Let me know what player you have and I'll tell you what to change.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
        • Jan 2006

I have a rather low end JVC DVD/SACD player, under the Audio set-up there are three selections:

PCM only
        Dolby Digital/PCM
        Stream/PCM

I have always had it set to Dolby Digital/PCM; could this be the problem?

On a side note, when setting the delay to the rear surrounds on the DVDp, will this effect the delay settings on the RSP-1066? Should I set everything to ‘0', and let the 1066 settings control options such as this and speaker DB levels?
        Last edited by wkhanna; 12 December 2006, 21:38 Tuesday. Reason: Becks Dark!?!?!
        _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

That's it, it needs to be set to stream/PCM in order to pass Dolby and DTS signals.

As far as the DVD player delays/levels, these will only effect the sound coming out of the multi-channel outputs. Typically you will only use those for the SACD discs. So definitely set those up to get the most out of SACD's.

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
            • Jan 2006

Thank you, Sir Kevin, your knowledge and willingness to share it is greatly appreciated!

BTW, re the Stream setting, must this be used at the DVDp in order to deliver DTS and Pro LogicII? I thought I was getting Dolby Pro LogicII using the Dolby setting. at least that is what the OSD and RSP-1066 panel display were telling me.
            _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Kevin D
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2002

Nope, it's a fall back to when almost all DVD players could pass DTS but very few receivers supported it. For some reason no one has bothered to change it to "Digital-Surround out (yes/no)"

PCM is basically digital stereo, pretty common on everything.
              Dolby Digital is a bitstream signal, you must have a decoder to listen.
              DTS is also a bitstream signal, again you need a decoder.

So your options are:

1) only stereo
              2) a dolby bistream signal, or stereo
              3) any bitstream signal, or stereo.

Sony's actually do have a "Digital Output: (yes/no)", but then follow it up with "DTS (yes/no)"! Crazy..

Kevin D.

Comment

• wkhanna
                • Jan 2006

OK, now I think I get it. The Stream setting will deliver both formats to the 1066, where the Dolby setting will only send Dolby format?

And thanks for the tip on my settings for using SACD through the multi-outs, very helpful since I do use it on occasion.
                _

Bill

FinleyAudio

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"